Hot Rod Deluxe Editorial Feedback/Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rod Deluxe Editorial Feedback/Debate

So I was pouring over the new HRD and I read The Freiburgers' editorial about "Where are the Customs?" This makes me want to build one and while the Wife and I found something perfect for cruising till we have space to customize it (63 Buick Wildcat 4dr) we aren't going to go there because our forthcoming Baby kinda takes the time, cash, and even space away from it.

What is a Custom Car?
    I like customs that have stuff hidden in plain sight. EFI well concealed is awesome. Air Bags, great if it means you can drive you stuff without having to plan your route based on condition of the road. Billet... somethings are "Billet" and others are fabricated out of aluminum/steel stock; I think we all know the difference. I also think that mild customs are some of the better ones when you get past around '58 and into the 60's and minus the jumping suspensions and stupid 0 offset wheels a Lowrider is every bit a custom (though probably easier to become hidious) as the more traditional customs.

What do you consider a Custom Car?
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Hot Rod Deluxe Editorial Feedback/Debate

google...fun!

I didn't get this issue (yet?)

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

the pink panther was my dream car in second grade
      also the gold chevy astro prototype on bewitched
      this is a kustom :

joe the fonz carloni

Comment

Comment

kustom with a k
          My fabulous web page

Comment

I like old cars, but I'm not a big fan of customs.

I am however becoming a big fan of Hot Rod Deluxe. Much more so than the mothership title, Hot Rod.

Comment

As described in the editorial, the "custom" scene encompasses a diverse style of rod. I don't really dig the purpose-built show rods with everything in excess. I think if a rod is built with taste, regardless of its genre (custom, hot rod, lowrider, etc.), it remains timeless. I personally would like to see more customs in HRD. HRD is like Hot Rodding 101 for me, I'd love to see what custom car builders were doing back in the day and what their modern counterparts are working on.

I actually dig a lot of lowriders. I'm not into the whole hopping thing, but I really like air ride suspension. Some of the metal work, paint, interior, and just the general attention to detail, is what makes these cars for me.

I hope to be able to build a few cars in my lifetime, but perhaps put a twist on the custom theme and apply it to a 70's luxo barge.

Comment

I'd say that the custom car scene is alive and well, judging by the pictorial content of Spidey's Lead East thread.

Perhaps DF needs to take trip out East to get some perspective?

Comment

Im not much on the whole airbag craze.
                  I think a custom is something that is built with parts form another car fitted to your car or alot of cut and welded up body parts, but not a 78 Monte carlo right now anyway.

Comment

Earlier in the year I researched the whole hydraulics thing and it wasn't started by "lowriders" per se but a customizer of a Corvette, in 1959. He was tired of getting tickets for his car being too low so he took the port-a-power idea (used in body shop industry) and applied it to his front a-arms, and had a handle for it in the interior. It started it all, the same guy was the very first to use a clear plastic bubble for a top. Very famous guy and car.

Comment

airbags take the action out of it
                      during the hrm power tour east in 98 - we had to patch the trans pan at the shopping center in fitchburg parking lot , using the curb as a jack

Comment

if your custom doesn't drag on the ground at least 5 times on each trip, it's not low enough
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

Well its cold outside and I'm sick soI stayed in and photoshopped me a custom

Start with this:

Do a bit of work and get a sorta ratish custom:

A bit more work for a more "pure" custom:

A new colour and we get what I would want to do:

All of them would have airbags and everything except the rat would probably have a Tri-Power looking 3 TBI setup though I might do a Dual Quad if it was cheaper. I might play with the interior at some point on photoshop.
                          Central TEXAS Sleeper
                          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                            I remember when i was younger like 7 or 8 I think and I say a video of his merc and they talked to him and he showed pics of it after a weck and the whole car I was hooked
                            I built my first one as a mild custom because I had lil money {just got married } then drove it for 2 years and sold it to buy a house
                            Now i have my eye on a 50 chevy fast back they was choped then forgot and I want it
                            here is my first one
                            quarters wer streached 3 inches at the tos 1 1/2 botom hood peaked shaved etc... flame throwers 400 sbc with a 350 and a ride like a brick {no bags just low}

there was no real money in it to build just left overs from other projects
                            stuff laying around in friends way
                            and time
                            I sold it to buy my house

Comment

the joe the fonz was the original rat rodder and everybody loved him , he knew what a custom was , junkyard parts , home stereo speakers , street racing tired sbc , flamethrowing , dragging club plate
                              his ashes were spread at lead east a few years back

Comment

Working...
                              X