Lutefisk? Really? No thanks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lutefisk? Really? No thanks!

What is it with the crazy Norwegians? Lutefisk? Are you serious? Why take a perfectly good cod or whitefish and soak it in lye to make it into fish jelly?

"But it's sooo good," I kept hearing.

With the exception of chitterlings, I have NEVER smelled anything so nasty in my entire life. UGH!

Covered in a white cream sauce and sauteed in butter it looked ok, but the smell.... oh my.... that acrid smell....

Never, ever, not in a million lifetimes will I submit myself to anything that nasty again. Put this dish in the same category as menudo.

Ron
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Re: Lutefisk? Really? No thanks!

Originally posted by NMCA_Ron
    Put this dish in the same category as menudo.

Ron

But menudo is the cure for the common hangover....
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Yeah, that stuff is nasty

I remember it being brought out for the holidays , uck !

But, lefse isn't too bad with some butter and sugar
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
        Originally posted by NMCA_Ron
        Put this dish in the same category as menudo.

Ron

But menudo is the cure for the common hangover....
        Thankfully, hangovers for me are quite "uncommon."

blech!
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

closest I get to lutefisk is listening to A Prairie Home Companion on the radio
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'm with Squirrel. And that's close enough. I had the misfortune to smell it once - dogs won't roll in the junk.

Dan

Comment

[quote I had the misfortune to smell it once - dogs won't roll in the junk.

Dan
              [/quote]

Hehe ;D.I have to admit,that i have never tasted the stuff.I smell it long way.And noone have got it inside me.There have been lots of nice people tryin though.I guess i will try it one day.

I am a little surprised that Lutefisk have got over there in urban areas,and i was extra surprized that Nmca Ron made this thread about it..i really thought Lutefisk only was made in norwegian born familys.

Lefse is good,and we have a sort of round bread here locally,thats called Rengakake..love it ;).Its used instead of bread.Brown cheese or salmon onto it,and im in heaven ;).I will take some photos of it.My mom usually makes it till christmas.

Comment

My Grandpa, like millions more came here from the old country

Mine came from Denmark in the early 1900's , most of the old traditions are fading away though

How about some Aquavit (akvavit)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                  I'm with Squirrel. And that's close enough. I had the misfortune to smell it once - dogs won't roll in the junk.

Dan
                  That's freaking hilarious Dan - cracked me up. (Dogs won't roll in it !!!!!)
                  Speaking of dogs - how are your two getting along ?

Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by BigDad

Mine came from Denmark in the early 1900's , most of the old traditions are fading away though

This feller has a good take on the correlation between the two - read the first sentence after #7.... another yuk up.

Celebration Yarmulke are available for wedding and Bar/Bat Mitzvah as well as Bris and special anniversary Simcha. Special Groom's kippah with Ani L Dodi message and matching Usher kipah are suede and hand painted. Guest kipah are satin and suede as well as velvet and moire and come personalized.
                    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by BigDad

Well...i actually prefer heimebrent(moonshine) over akvavit,but thats me ;).

Comment

When i think of it..a lot of members here probably has relatives in scandinavia.JW has some in sweden,and bigdad has some in denmark.Nik in Finland,and so on.Then it makes sense that lutefisk should pop up here..

Comment

You WOULD fit in on the Power Tour Arild - real moonshine recipes come along. I hope to try some this summer.
                          Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by Blazerteam
                            When i think of it..a lot of members here probably has relatives in scandinavia.JW has some in sweden,and bigdad has some in denmark.Nik in Finland,and so on.Then it makes sense that lutefisk should pop up here..
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF3z-j8o39I :D ;D
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10
                              You WOULD fit in on the Power Tour Arild - real moonshine recipes come along. I hope to try some this summer.
                              Damn oceans..wonder how difficult it should be to drive over Sibir and into Alaska..??.Then i could drive the power tour with some moonshine from over here...i cant take it with me on plane...they wont let thinner pass through the customs..how about moonshine ;D ;D??.

Power tour..it really should happen for me..

Comment

Working...
                              X