1996-2001 Dodge diesels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1996-2001 Dodge diesels?

Losing 5th gear is a common trait. The lift pumps are also know to fail, causing low pressure to the VP44 which, in turn, kills the diaphram in the VP44 pump. Those Bosch pumps are not cheap to replace. A fuel pressure gauge to monitor pressure to the VP44 pump is a good idea. They used to replace the old lift pumps with in-tank lift pumps. That can be one way to tell if there was a problem in the past. This pertains to the 24V motors. I'm not sure about the 12V's. As far as biodiesel, I don't know much about it. But Willie Nelson does. 8)

Comment

That was the mod we did when we replaced the last injector pump.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Dodge trucks, great motors, to bad the rest of the truck is a POS.

Comment

Originally posted by smallblockjay
          Losing 5th gear is a common trait. The lift pumps are also know to fail, causing low pressure to the VP44 which, in turn, kills the diaphram in the VP44 pump. Those Bosch pumps are not cheap to replace. A fuel pressure gauge to monitor pressure to the VP44 pump is a good idea. They used to replace the old lift pumps with in-tank lift pumps. That can be one way to tell if there was a problem in the past. This pertains to the 24V motors. I'm not sure about the 12V's. As far as biodiesel, I don't know much about it. But Willie Nelson does. 8)
          I got a new VP44 pump for $600. They're not cheap, but compared to the price of injector pumps for Ford or Chevy diesels, it's cheap. Same goes for injectors and other parts.

I replaced my lift pump with a $35 in-line transfer pump a few years ago (Chad helped!). Definitley a worthwhile upgrade, although my VP44 lived for 3+ years without a working lift pump.
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
            Opinions are like assholes TC...everyone has one....I love my 99....only let me down once....when some aftermarket parts broke on the front end...Only OE or MOOG from now on....I also have a 08...and it is a great truck....Dont know 1 dodge owner who dislikes the truck..but just like any other make I am sure there are some who have issues...that must be why Rams 09 HD truck was voted best truck in America...
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
              Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
              Opinions are like assholes TC...everyone has one....I love my 99....only let me down once....when some aftermarket parts broke on the front end...Only OE or MOOG from now on....I also have a 08...and it is a great truck....Dont know 1 dodge owner who dislikes the truck..but just like any other make I am sure there are some who have issues...that must be why Rams 09 HD truck was voted best truck in America...
              Well said!

I've always played along with the "Sure, the Cummins rules but the rest of the truck sucks!" guys. But, your post got me to thinking, in 350,000 miles since I bought it new, I've had *zero* letdowns. The rear end whined when I first bought it, but that was fixed under warranty in 1 day. Compared to any other car I've owned, I have to say it's been the most reliable. These days with the price of diesel it's been put on "junkyard duty" (hauls our trash every two weekends because we live in the country where there's no trash service), but just this week with the snow and no plowed roads, I drove it to work all week. It fired up without a block heater, in -6* F.

I've heard the "the Dodge is a POS" comments from ALL my Ford diesel-driving pals while they've gone through injector, pushrod, glow plug, crank position sensor and other failures, all while they snickered as they felt their purchase was "the best."

I guess I just got lucky. I love "Big Bumpy" (wife's nickname for it) and it owes me nothing.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Most of my experience with Doge trucks came through the fleet garage in college and then at the drag strip because the NE Dodge Dealers provided vehicles for the track to use.

The rust monster ate the bodies, but with respect to the motor (diesel), trans, and suspension, I've not seen anything to tell me that they are inferior to other makes. The rust issue kills most of theme here, but I still see lots of 1990's trucks rolling around (although most are looking pretty sad) up here.

The 360 was way long in the tooth by the time they killed it, so the gassers were lagging behind in engine tech by the time the Hemi came back, but they seem to be very reliable motors.

Brian
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I've posted before that my Dakota has been SUPER. It just never takes a false step. One battery and some little parts in 96K miles. It needs a bit more paint touch up where the clear has failed, but they pretty much all did that in '98. Obviously, no reflection on the engine (mine's a 318) but just sayin' the truck part is fine with me - and darn handsome, too.

Dan

Comment

Rightpedal,

Here is the VW 1.6 TD in the Samurai. Lots of power and just plain fun to drive. I made a few slight mods to the IP and have my own home brew propane injection on it so it really will scoot. It spends most of the time dragging along behind the motorhome.

Comment

That's really a good fit. Nice job on that swap.

Dan

Comment

Update: He found a truck he wanted at a dealer in N. Virginia. I went down and took a look and guess what you guys were right. Drag link was junk. Thanks to all. The dealer was actually pretty cool about me pointing out a laundry list of what I did not like. I finished my list he says "No problem it will be done next week do you still want it?". Sooo we paid to much for a 200,000 mile truck but the new owner seems happy. DG I will post up questions in tech once I get the truck here and take a good look at it.

Steve

jauguston I have so many more questions. How, who, what, where. Adapter plate volks to samurai trans? home brewed propane with camp stove bottles? Wow I am so blown away! Your little rig completely geeks me out.
                        Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Originally posted by jauguston
                          Rightpedal,

Here is the VW 1.6 TD in the Samurai. Lots of power and just plain fun to drive. I made a few slight mods to the IP and have my own home brew propane injection on it so it really will scoot. It spends most of the time dragging along behind the motorhome.

That Sami is wicked cool!...Start a hread in the project section. We need lots of pics too....
                          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

if it is 4wd , those axle u joints tear up all the time -good dana axles
                            dodge trucks are a throwback to the old days , selling a fraction of the big boys , tough market , ask toyotassan

Comment

Rightpedal and others interested,

The VW diesel conversion for the Samurai,Tracker and Sidekick is pretty popular. Acmeadapters.com (Jeff Kerr) in Oregon make a very good conversion kit. Jeff is VERY helpful and happy to answer any questions before or during installation. The basic kit has pretty much all you need to get the motor into the vehicle. They have extra cost add-ons that make it even easier. they have a 2" exhaust pipe that goes from the turbo across the back of the motor then down the drivers side with a braided stainless flex joint where the stock exhaust goes. I replaced all the exhaust with 2". They also have a radiator with two electric fans that take good care of the larger cooling needs of the diesel. The stock radiator won't do it. You can make the whole swap without using a welder. The kit supplies a flywheel that fits the VW engine and takes the Samurai clutch and a adapter plate to marry the VW to the Samurai transmission. All the pretty blue is Eastwood home powdercoating cured in a household oven-not the wifes (-:

The AC compressor, yes it has factory air one of very few, goes in the big blue bracket on the left side and the stock alternator goes in a supplied bracket on the right side.

The propane injection I designed several years ago to use first on a Ford 6.9 diesel in a motorhome I had I put a turbo on. I scaled it down for the Sami. Works great. Only used at full throttle and over 5 psi boost-see the micro switch on the IP and the Hobbs pressure switch on top of the valve cover. The little regulator on the valve cover regulates the boost pressure to the aneroid on the IP. See picture in previous post. When I am towing something my mods to the IP to increase fuel is too much and the EGT goes crazy high so the regulator lower the boost the aneroid sees and thus reduces maximum fuel. That pretty much covers it.

Edit- I forgot these were taken before I added the regulator for the aneroid. the regulator is a 0-10 psi regulator used on HVLP paint guns. Yes I was at Speed Week in 2006 in the Samurai as a spectator. First time and loved it.

Jim

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Admittedly I had to read it twice to comprehend it. The propane injection is genus.

Steve
                                Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Working...
                                X