The mislabeling media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The mislabeling media

This pisses me off as much as the term assault rifle. Since when did a 94 grand am become a muscle car?

Re: The mislabeling media

Typical AP crap.

Only FWD Grand Am's that I've seen with guts are the ones that....that's right, there AREN"T any(unless some wisenhimer did a tube frame and back-half with a V-8 swap "modification").

Perhaps the AP reporter mistook it for a Trans Am, perhaps? Mile of difference between the 2, yes, but these are news hounds.

Comment

Come on guys, we all know if it's on the 5 o'clock news it's true.........................NOT!!!!! Thats why I never put much weight in anything I hear in the media.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

'94 Grand Am / Muscle Car? Isn't that an oxymoron? That's like saying that Pee Wee Herman is a tuff guy :D

Comment

faux news? accurate reporting? they're just as bad as the rest....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

They do the same thing when referring to poachers... they always call them "hunters."
            Every time I see that in print, I take the time to write a letter explaining that equating poachers with hunters is the same as equating rapists with blind dates. I then go on to explain what ethical hunting is.

The last time I did this was for a story in National Geographic... I doubt it made the Letters to the Editor, but it always makes me feel better. If nothing else, it gets them to think about it for next time. Maybe.

-Brad

Comment

I do that with the drag racer/street racer thing. Same concept, same results (so far).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                I do that with the drag racer/street racer thing. Same concept, same results (so far).

Dan
                The problem there is that the LAW is typically written as "drag racing" - so if they report "illegal drag racing", they are reporting it correctly. Not the way we'd like to hear it, but it is technically and legally correct. I hashed this out some time back with the local cops and paper hounds. The cops agree with us, especially the DARE guys - but "street racing" is not (in most cases, not all) the legal term. Like it or not. >

FWIW - this came up about a year ago when the local rag did a write up on a street racing accident. I bitched in the OpEd area. The reporter looked me up and called me to discuss and patched in a police sargent (that did know one of our local racer/DARE cops). She "had it right", per Texas law. I explained the drag racer side and to the reporter's credit, she immediately "got it" and said she would consider my point if the subject came across her desk in the future. Good 'nuff. One down 45,325 to go...

Comment

OR NOT!!!! I guess the thing to do is harass the lawmakers until they fix this. I suppose it varies by jurisdiction so we'll all have to look into this on a local and/or state level.

Dan

Comment

easy way to fix that..
                    reporters use the correct wording
                    illegal street drag racing..

Comment

Originally posted by urwurznitmahre
                      easy way to fix that..
                      reporters use the correct wording
                      illegal street drag racing..
                      Unless they throw a turn or two into the mix because they saw it in the fast and the furious

Comment

unsanctioned championship drag racing - held on public roads
                        a good time was had by all

Comment

Its all semantics.....
                          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Working...
                          X