Why can't they...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't they...

Build a pony car 400hp - 450hp, 2800-2900lbs, under 25,000k, everything delete, just as an experiment. I look at every new Camaro, Mustang, Challenger and see a new age cowardly mess of 30 airbags, navigation, 8 different types of radio's, multi zone seatwarmers.... I could go on and leads to 4000+lbs. of poor handling, bulky slow cars, that the Germans and Italians still snicker at and will continue do so if we keep building plasticky, heavy, cumbersome, poorly tuned cars. It would be so easy...... These f%**in " muscle cars" are fully loaded Camry's with two doors and 400 something horsepower give or take. IT'S DISGUSTING!!! It would be so easy..... Rant ovah.....

BTW I know why "they can't" just venting....

Re: Why can't they...

But they could.

Do you need 8-10 speakers?
    Or a 4-zone ass warmer/cooler?
    You damn sure don't need a big navi screen. If most people can't master the cellphone and driving, why do we give them a computer screen?
    What about power windows? Is it really that hard to crank a window down? Really?!
    Half the sound deadener in the interior is overkill...

Now let's look at the rolling stock. Yeah, the 18" factory rims. That's a ton of unsprung weight...oh, I'm sorry! Did you opt for the 20" rims? Keep adding the weight on...

Sunroof? Yeah, more weight...

You could hack a ton of weight out of the cars and still keep the new upgraded saftey components and the "saftey cage" design, no problem.
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I don't know about poorly tuned, but they do have way too much crap in them. Who wants a navigation system or seat warmers anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by moparmaniac07
        I don't know about poorly tuned, but they do have way too much crap in them. Who wants a navigation system or seat warmers anyway?

Getting lost is most of the fun on roadtrips anyways. That is unless you are on University avenue in Minneapolis after dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z
          But they could.
          Exactly, it's the common culture of today's car buyer and the bureaucratic mess to bring the simple idea to fruition.

Originally posted by moparmaniac07
          I don't know about poorly tuned
          It only take's 750hp to run 12.0's in the new Super Snake.. :

Comment

GMs "onstar" is the biggest crock of it all!
            Nobody is going to opt for paying for it after the first year is up.
            And that stupid antenna is a great place for rust to start in a couple of years.

Comment

the cars aren't heavy. "plasticky" yes, but they aint heavy. they got the scale leverage game down to a science a nascar cheater would worship....

there is an optimism to all the electronics. good old weldable bangable smashable savable steel is a goner in exchange for thinner hertz killers...oh wait. thats NOT optimism. :

you can learn alot from the evolution of a pc case...

I am one non-stupored american...just one.

spread the word.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main
                the cars aren't heavy. "plasticky" yes, but they aint heavy. they got the scale leverage game down to a science a nascar cheater would worship....

there is an optimism to all the electronics. good old weldable bangable smashable savable steel is a goner in exchange for thinner hertz killers...oh wait. thats NOT optimism. :

you can learn alot from the evolution of a pc case...

I am one non-stupored american...just one.

spread the word.
                Alot heavier than they could be. Until the electronics are sleek hip and light I'd rather do without them... you can keep the orbiting buttocks masseuse that comes standard in the 1SS, jeez .... I thinks folks want a hot rod, which to my point would mean SIMPLIFY.....

Comment

What sparked this was going to the local Chevy dealership and seeing that these Camaro's still go for about 40k, oh well demand is stellar at least...

Comment

It's nice to see somebody who feels the way I do.

They could shave 4-500 lbs out of one of these door stops and really have a great car.

6-way power adjustable seats? Electric windows? Power moon roof?

They add all this stuff to the car so they can sell them at $40K+

Ron
                    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Too bad the "bodies in white" can never be registered for street use.....even then, they're way over priced.
                      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I agree that they're overloaded pigs, but "poorly tuned" or the implication that they're slow is incorrect. Today's "muscle" cars are waaaaaay faster than the plastic tire crap that you hear all the old codgers talking about. Contrary to popular belief, there was no showroom stock Hemi car that would pull the front tires, or run better than a 14 uncorked.
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I think I can qualify as a "Real" hot rodder, and I LOVE the Onstar. We travel A LOT and it's saved our bacon many a time in strange locals. "Hello, Onstar. We need a dog-friendly motel in Podunk. That'll be a ground floor, non-smoking room. No problem, sir - would you like me to connect you?" And yes, we signed up for the second year. It's a feature that would strongly influence us to buy GM the next time - oh, and the fact that the HHR has been a little tank.

Dan

Originally posted by ghustler
                          GMs "onstar" is the biggest crock of it all!
                          Nobody is going to opt for paying for it after the first year is up.
                          And that stupid antenna is a great place for rust to start in a couple of years.

Comment

I think the basic problem is that the guys who really want a strippo, powerful car can just build their own. And there's no money in it for the carmakers....all the profit in new cars is in the options.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                              I think the basic problem is that the guys who really want a strippo, powerful car can just build their own. And there's no money in it for the carmakers....all the profit in new cars is in the options.

cost to much to make 7 different wire harnesses..
                              and stock all those extra parts..
                              what a crank window gonna save ya.. 2 lb..maybe..
                              you'll never see a strippper or a "custom" again..

Comment

Working...
                              X