Auto Shipping (advice needed!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Shipping (advice needed!)

This subject has been visited before, I'm sure....but....

I am in negotiations to buy a car that is half-the-country away. I know a few guys that have used auto shippers, and I have heard the full range of experiences.

I would like to know who is reliable, encosed, cheapest and best.

Let me know your experiences please!

Ax
    KC

Re: Auto Shipping (advice needed!)

I used IntercityLines (http://www.intercitylines.com/) to ship a car from Omaha, NE to Sacramento, CA.

I was very happy with their service and impressed by the courtesy and care shown by the fellow driving the truck (John, a New Zealander / Kiwi expat). It took about 5 days to get the vehicle delivered and it never left the truck between pickup and delivery (i.e., no staging or forwarding yards).

On the other end of the spectrum I sold a car to a fellow back in PA and it took like 2 1/2 months to get the car there. He went through a broker to get the best price and was very unhappy with the result. As I understand it, brokers will often sell to you the first available slot on a truck heading in the right direction, space available. And, the vehicle may see multiple pickups / dropoffs, moving from one depot to another as it works it way to its destination.

I paid considerably more to use Intercity, but from what I see it's really a case where you get what you pay for...

my 2 cents

Comment

I believe in "you get what you pay for"...I realize there can be exceptions, but I'm going enclosed for sure.

Ax

Comment

wikd69 has an excellent point. I bought a truck in Oregon and had it shipped to SoCal ...got here in two days ...nice...but I went the cheap route. Seems like all the carriers broker these things out. Do your self a favor and pay the extra money. The truck steering was broken by the trucking company and it was trashed when it arrived. All the tires were almost flat as the 4X4 truck was too tall ...spend the extra money and ask if they broker the transport..if the answer is "yes", your answer should be "NO!"

Comment

I don't mean to pimp for Intercity but I had great service from them. Here are some pix of them delivering a car for me.

The Intercity Lines truck and trailer arriving.

These are custom double decker trailers as you'll see below.

My car was towards the front so the driver had to unload a little roadster under the rear tarp.

Side door on the transporter. The munchkin is local and did not arrive with the truck :D

Here John, the driver, is preparing to back the roadster out to get to my vehicle. The sleek, svelte sexy fellow in the ball cap is me.

And here is my ride, under wraps and still tied down.

You can see here the care they take when transporting customer vehicles.

Comment

Working...
          X