Rolling the inner fender wells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling the inner fender wells

A friend of mine has decided to take his pantera on next years power tour. we are in the process of changing out all his hoses, water pump, plugs, wires, cap rotor, packing the wheel bearings and changing the trans axle fluids and so forth. But he does have one more problems, his rear tires, more specifically the left rear inner fender lip cuts the sidewalls of the tire. the tire size is 295x50x15. He wants to roll the inner fender well lip, has anybody tried or done that, is there anything he needs to be aware of?

He has heard the baseball bat trick of rolling the inner lip. He needs to move it 1/4 inch max apparently. So, anybody got any tricks, tips, before he tries it?

The car is pretty nice even though i call it a POS, and he rags on my Pontiacs all the time. Any help would be appreciated.

Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Re: Rolling the inner fender wells

Yep, I did it on my Nova during the 2008 Power Tour, well actually Fred (fine59) did it, because he had seen someone else do it before and I hadn't a clue. Besides, I would not have been as firm as was required, cause it was my "baby".

We used an old wooden shovel handle that Allen (cstmwgn) had in his truck. While I held the fender firmly in place to keep it from bowing outward (this is very important), he put the handle on the tire and then pushed downward on the end of the handle, which pushed the top into the fender lip. Use only slight pressure and then rotate it on the tire, moving it around the lip.

Don't try to do too much all at once. Just keep going back and doing a little bit more every time.

Hope that makes sense ...
    ;)

Comment

It is a trick...and like all tricks sometimes doesn't work. Go slow, be very careful.
      Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Would this tool from Eastwood be of any value?

High Quality Pro-grade Fender Roller eliminatestire rub on lowered vehicles
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Nonsense Thom.....We don't want to use the right tool.....That takes all the fun out if it.

Seth
          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

We used to use a special tool. There was metal on one end. One side was flat and the other had kind of a ball on it. It was attached to a piece of wood, a thick dowel. We held the dowel end and hit on the fender with the metal end. I'm sure there's a name for this tool. Maybe an internet search could turn up the name.
            Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
              Nonsense Thom.....We don't want to use the right tool.....That takes all the fun out if it.

Seth
              What was I thinkin

??? ;D
              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

This is how you do it. ;)

BUY It Here: http://www.eastwood.com/fender-finisher-1.html?utm_source=Youtube&utm_medium=Annotation&utm_content=Fender%20Finisher&utm_campaign=2009-08-14Wan...

Comment

Originally posted by std
                  We used to use a special tool. There was metal on one end. One side was flat and the other had kind of a ball on it. It was attached to a piece of wood, a thick dowel. We held the dowel end and hit on the fender with the metal end. I'm sure there's a name for this tool. Maybe an internet search could turn up the name.
                  After an extensive Google search......Hammer?

;D

Seth
                  200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
                    Originally posted by std
                    After an extensive Google search......Hammer?

;D

Seth

That's It!!! I don't know how you came up with that so fast.
                    Cognizant Dissident

Comment

I've used that nifty took from Eastwood and it works. You won't crack the paint, it will roll the fender lip too. The problem is it takes too long to set the tool up and use it, especially after you put the wheel back on hub, let the car down, check clearance, and then realize you didnt go far enough and have to do it all over again. I used it on one side of my truck, got frustrated, and then used a piece of pipe on the other side.

the pipe worked just as well. lol

Comment

I'd use something made of wood.
                        Please do let us know how it works out for your buddies Pantera ...
                        ;)

Comment

I don't think your head would fit in there Steve...

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Good one BBM, but this is the wrong thread ....
                            ;D

Comment

Its a combination of the proper tool and the proper technique.....

Seriously guys, quit yanking his chain. Everyone knows you use a Louisville Slugger - place it at the front of the tire between the tire and fenderwell, put the car in reverse and slowly drive backwards until the bat falls out.

Repeat on other side.

Repaint as needed. ;D

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                              X