Winter arrives at my household.....in a major way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter arrives at my household.....in a major way

Biggest snow storm in 3 decades graced us with it's presence Tuesday and finally let up late last night. This is good and bad news for me. I am in the snow removal business so that's awesome with Christmas on it's way....and at the same time 20 inches of snow in -3 temps and 40 mph winds made the past 3 days for me workwise extremely difficult.

The old Drift Buster F-350 held up (just barely) for me though without being shut off for just over 48 hours. I did end up developing a slight tranny slip however which I can totally understand after the hell I put it though. Ended up having to change the alternator in a NAPA parking lot in blzzard conditions. And made about a dozen runs with the chain to yank out buddies plow rigs that were buried while trying to push piles back. Between break downs and pull outs I spent the remainder of my time pushing snow non stop just trying to keep up. Been doing snow work for 10 years since I was 18 and this was the worst I have dealt with by a long shot.

Anyway here are some pics after I got home and got around to finally clearing out the home front. That's my bro running the snow blower.

This was my view before heading out. This was about 6 hours into a 30+ hour storm. The bottom of my door is about 8 inches off the ground.

My girls car.....showing the sacrifice she makes for letting me use the garage as the shop :-[

Ready to head out

Finally back home

Lil man Conner checking out the damage from inside

The view out of our back window.....that is snow up against the glass. Not just on the ledge

The view out back of Ashley's car

The most abused 02 F-350 around...

www.Nightmare-Motorsports.com

Re: Winter arrives at my household.....in a major way

Man, that's some stuff!
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I miss winters like that ;).When all is chaos,and your truck has 4x4 ;)

Comment

WOW!!!
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Wow, have to say I'm kinda jealous, I love snow. Where are you located Nitmare?
          Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Wow, have to say I'm not jealous at all. Hope your truck is ok after that workout, transmissions are expensive.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Great momory jogger. Reminds me of why I moved here and out of that crap. Plow away.

Dan

Comment

NICE!

That reminds me of chicagoland in the blizzard of '79 - and we didnt' have a snow blower! Dad insisted my brother and I were young and strong enough to clear with a shovel (I was 9 my brother 15 at the time)

I have a near copy of your snow blower - purchased with paper route money in '84 with Dad's help - it's an 8-24 in much worse shape - but the old tecumseh keeps on tickin.

How do you like plowing with that long of a rig - and a dually besides! Wow!
                maybe it's time for a tranzilla in that badboy! GREAT looking truck!
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The most snow I've ever seen in my country is a layer of about 5-6 inches thick.
                  If I would see that amount when opening my front door I would just turn around and hit the sack again... ;D
                  www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I figured you were busy pushing snow. We got about 16", and the weather stations in des moines said it got worse to the east of us...
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

We got nailed like that last December. :P
                      Yesterday we got hit but it was heavy nasty slush that took twice as long to clear as I'd expected :-\. Now it's single digit temps and the slush is very, very hard :o

Comment

Looks beautiful from here. I don't think I'd want to be there. What caused that huge icycle?
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

This was a pretty serious storm for sure but at least it's all powder for the most part. My truck was able to get through several 5' + tall banks and drifts with some momentum pretty easily. If this stuff was wet it would be a whole other story.

ford141 - I am right in Des Moines, Iowa. We get snow every winter but this much is rare.

milner351 - That's actually my brother using his blower. That thing is beast though! Starts up first or second pull every time and really gets through stuff pretty well.

As for pushing with the big rig it's not too bad. You just have to be aware of what you can and can't do with it. I definitely don't use it to clear out drive thru's and small lots or driveways. Since it is so big and weighs in with blade just under 10k I generally use it at places that need snow moved all the way across a lot. Several of our business parks have very specific areas they want snow piled so I keep to the big jobs especially since it goes into a 9'5" wide scoop mode with the wings out . And then we usually end up needing to haul skid loaders out to move piles back and I do the hauling. One of my guys runs like an 05-06 regular cab shortbox Chevy that really comes in handy for back dragging parking spots and small lots.

The very first plow truck I bought though was an 89 F-350 ex. cab long box with a 351 that was a huge P.O.S. and even being a couple feet shorter it took a wal-mart parking lot to do a U-turn. So by comparison this thing still seems like a luxury. Lol.

Definitely going to look into some kind of badass transmission though. I just drove it down to the shop and it is without a doubt slipping and the fluid smells burnt :'(

dieselgeek - How did you guys do out in the middle of nowhere!? I bet you have some serious drifts

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                            Looks beautiful from here. I don't think I'd want to be there. What caused that huge icycle?
                            Two peaks in the roof come together to form a valley just up the ways from where it was. The heat in the house caused the roof to get warm enough to melt some of that underlying snow and as it ran underneath the snow and over the edge it froze as soon as it met the 3 degree air.

Comment

I'm in Pa, and we barely got a dusting... Definitely jealous... Itching to take the F350 for some snow-covered field stomping...

Good luck on that trans. Hopefully you can get a built unit in there without having it down for too long. My uncle just bought a '90 F350 that was a township plow truck. It only has like 60K on it, but the C6 gave up pretty soon after he bought it. Plowing is hard on an auto. He is currently swapping to a T19 4spd, but it is his spare vehicle so he has lots of time to work on it. He is also selling the plow since he has a farm and uses his tractors for plowing.
                              Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Working...
                              X