Floor jack maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor jack maintenance

Every few years I remember to oil and grease the moving parts on my floor jack. And every time I'm amazed at how easily it moves, and how well it works, after doing it.

just thought I'd share the high point of the annual Prowler maintenance ordeal

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Re: Floor jack maintenance

once a year..
    I hit it every month..
    I machined a groove in the caster wheels and added a grease fitting..
    it rolls great,
    I just wish the caster where farther from the jack so I could get wider wheels..
    so they wouldn't sink in the blacktop so quickly in the summer

Comment

I wait until I need the jack (or engine hoist) to go to its full extension before I refill fluids or lubricate ;) it's far more fun to put oil in the cylinder while it's jammed against a bumper - and that's me... always living for fun!!
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

strange thing about my floor jack is that it's 20 year old chinese junk, has a lot of use, and I've never had to add oil to it.

My fabulous web page

Comment

My cheepie HF floor jack has been fine but the 10 ton Portopower clone leaks badly - especially the spreader, which is the piece I use the most. Oh well, 50% ain't bad.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
            strange thing about my floor jack is that it's 20 year old chinese junk, has a lot of use, and I've never had to add oil to it.

I wonder if, 50years ago, when people bought American stuff that had poor quality control, were there a bunch of people telling everyone they shouldn't buy "that American junk" ? of course, when America went through it's industrial revolution, there was no internet, and it was "perfectly fine" to pollute the shit out of the environment. haha.
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I probably would oil the wheels or at the least WD-40 them, but I work on dirt and it's easier to just carry it than roll it.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek

I wonder if, 50years ago, when people bought American stuff that had poor quality control, were there a bunch of people telling everyone they shouldn't buy "that American junk" ? of course, when America went through it's industrial revolution, there was no internet, and it was "perfectly fine" to pollute the shit out of the environment. haha.
                50 years ago American stuff didn't have poor quality control. Most of the stuff made back then still works.

Comment

I wonder if, 50years ago, when people bought American stuff that had poor quality control, were there a bunch of people telling everyone they shouldn't buy "that American junk"
                  wasn't much of a choice, was there?

I'd rather have a 50 yr old american floor jack, but I haven't happened upon one yet.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Mine is sitting out in the rain right now.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I just picked up a Atom floor jack, its a service station style floor jack. It was my dad's and he ran a station in the early 70's. the hydraulic cylinder is leaking, anyone know where to get an old jack like that serviced? I could not find them by googling.
                      Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

Originally posted by bearphoto
                        I just picked up a Atom floor jack, its a service station style floor jack. It was my dad's and he ran a station in the early 70's. the hydraulic cylinder is leaking, anyone know where to get an old jack like that serviced? I could not find them by googling.
                        Google is your friend.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Nice going, I'll be paying them a visit after the snow melt.
                          Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed

50 years ago American stuff didn't have poor quality control. Most of the stuff made back then still works.
                            x2
                            my dad has 3 jacks that are from the 40's and 50's all work.. but are heavy as hell.

Comment

Back in the day a floor jack had some weight to it, was solid and lasted. Now the offshore crap even has paint on it that will cause cancer.

Americans blew it. The unions sure didn't help any.

Comment

Working...
                              X