Your best Christmas experience.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your best Christmas experience.

When I was about 8 or 9, My Great Grandmother passed. 1 year later my Great Grandfather passed. I had always admired a blue rock/glass that he had collected. They had a garage sale and sold most of the things that were not taken by the family. That year for Christmas this is what I recieved....

That was one of my best Christmas'. When I was in the Navy I was a collection Official for Toys For Tots. Now what ever bonus I get for Christmas I spend on Toys For Tots. I also spend out of pocket.
    OH YEAH
    Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

Good on you Alex! If I lived in South Dakota I'd love going to Az. this time of year.
      "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

My best experience on the receiving end was when I was a kid and asked for a new bicycle. Specifically, a Huffy Thunderroad. Parents kept saying we'll see what Santa brings you. At that age, trying to sleep on Christmas Eve is near impossible from excitement, hope, and a ton of sugar from all the cookies and such the family bakes up that time of year. I remember hearing Dad fighting with something downstairs that included swearing.

Christmas morning, I woke up to see a huge box that said in big letters Huffy Bicycles on the outside. The box had obviously been opened and it's contents removed and replaced. I realized at that point that my Dad had tried to assemble Santa's present and gave up, putting all the parts back in the box.

I spent the morning assembling the bicycle in my pajamas, following the instructions and using the crappy uni-tool that came with the bike. That tool had been used and abused. It actually looked like someone had been gnawing on it, but I managed to get the whole bike together all by myself. I did need help getting the rear tire, chain, sprocket aligned.

Dad was just sat there smoking like a steam engine and looking furious as I moved closer and closer to completing my Christmas present. I'm not sure if he was mad that his 11 y/o kid assembled something he couldn't; or, he let this thing get the better of him; or, he didn't have enough sense to follow the instructions and use his real tools. But, in the end, it showed a part of his personality I always loved.

This also is the first thing I ever put together with tools. I rode the snot out that bike and changed it several times over the years, until, finally, it was stolen while I was at the movies. My mother has a picture of me in my robe and pajama's in the middle of it's assembly. My Dad can be seen in the back ground with a look on his face of both pride and anger.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin
          Good on you Alex! If I lived in South Dakota I'd love going to Az. this time of year.
          Ya I'm sure she's happy about it too. ;)

Comment

I havent got any good stories from christmas that i remember standing out.But reading the storys in this thread,i am supporting a great bunch of folks ;)

Comment

Pumpkin, helping a kid is the best gift you can ever give yourself

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Receiving-wise, it was the Christmas that I received a wooden rifle from my now-deceased paternal grandfather(I was maybe 5-6 years old). The man hand-made the thing, one for myself and one for my older cousin....carved the stock and all.

I LOVED that thing....disappeared sometime through the years, would give an eyetooth to have it back.

Giving? I believe I like giving more than I did/do receiving......I don't do it for thanks or recognition, I just do it because I feel like it's the right thing to do. I'd just as soon remain anonymous and leave the glory to someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                  Pumpkin, helping a kid is the best gift you can ever give yourself

Oh, I know Aaron. One night while loading up the bike after the races a boy of about 7 ran up to me very panicked looking saying his mom was choking, we ran back to where she was just about the time she was headed for the ground. I'd just recently completed first aid training and after several abdominal thrusts aka the Heimlich Maneuver, up came the object which was blocking her airway. The look of gratitude on their faces is something I can still see today.
                  "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Helping with Angel Tree is one of the best things to do at Christmas. If you have never helped out with it or have never heard of it before and don't know what they do, look it up and try it. If it goes for you like it did for my wife and I, you'll want to do it every year.

The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

You guys make me feel really shitty about myself.....I guess the best I ever did was pay for a woman in front of me groceries when she came up REALLY short....Although I did house and support my wifes best friend for over a year while she got back on her feet.....

I need to do better though.....Alot better.

Seth
                      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Seth, it ain't about who does more/less in a more spectacular/less spectacular fashion....as long as it's something, and it's from the heart, that's what really matters.

Comment

Working...
                        X