• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thanks Gene!!!

Originally posted by Schtauffer
    Originally posted by urwurznitmahre
    how do those doors hold up..
    my neib has a new door and the b/ball had put multi dents in it..
    is that one metal skin or plastic

i have a 2" thick wood door. thats heavy as h.....l
    but don't want a dent prone new one
    Each dent should equal an ass beating.

You can get vinyl doors that are dent resistant, but they cost a bunch more and have about 2/3 the lifespan. Think $2-3k for a 16x7 depending on what options you get. There are cheaper fiberglass doors, but you don't want those. They have no insulation value whatsoever, and a dude can be inside your garage with one swift kick. There's also high-end steel carriage doors with fiberglass and/or urethan overlays that would be dent resistant; expect to shell out more like $6k. Or I can get a custom clear cedar door made for you-- how does $10k sound?

The door that rightpedal bought is the best door for the money. Buy one like that, and keep the kid's basketballs away from it, or learn to deal with the dents.

Hey Brian, can't wait to see the pix of the atrocity at your place. 8)

Gene
    thanks
    I think I'll keep the old real wood door. and add 2" foam board to the inside and seal it off as best as can be..
    any pointers

Comment

Re: Thanks Gene!!!

New stopping (weatherseal), and change the hinges out.

The hinges are numbered, each one is another 1/8" stepped out. Normally on a 4-section door starting at the floor there would be a bottom bracket, then a #1 hinge, then a #2, then #3, then the top bracket-- total of 5 "roller holders." Don't mess with the top and bottom brackets. But the hinges in between-- change those out so that there is #'s 2, 3, and 4. What this will accomplish is that the door will not be able to go anywhere when the wind blows-- the roller is already against the curved part of the track, and so the door can only get tighter towards the wall. Most of your heat loss is around the edges, and when the door blows and the door gaps away from the weather seal, you have quite a draft.

So, get the door so that it can't go anywhere when the wind blows, and nail on fresh weatherseal.
      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Working...
      X