Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First real day of work...lemme tell ya'll about it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First real day of work...lemme tell ya'll about it...

As I've said before in other threads, for the last three years I've had pretty serious back trouble, and a few months ago, after physical therapy, chiropractic therapy, pool therapy, ....electrocution therapy...I was given a physical profile and was told to curtail heavy physical activity entirely. And my doctor, knowing me, put in an added stipulation: NO WORKING ON CARS.

Well, hell.

Now, for the last six or so months, I've behaved rather well. I only did a rear U-joint, which on the physical-labor scale is relatively low. But, especially in the last week or so, the urge to do something, anything has overridden common sense.

The breaking point came this last weekend. My stepdad has a friend he knows from work who has a buisness on the side playing with some serious high-end cars (for his sake I will not reveal name, town, or other employment.) He agreed to run full exhaust on my Mirada, with Flowmasters, for $500. Since I do not want to play with another stock Mopar exhaust so shall I live, and it means HE will be doing it, not ME, I agreed to it. My stepdad apparently forgot that I own the Monte Carlo, too, because he suggested that I take his '68 C-10 home with me for the week that "the guy" will have my car. Ok, why not? If nothing else, I love the reactions I get when I bring yet another car into work. It's a nasty little beast, an original disc-brake truck, stepside, packing my stepdad's typical screamer SBC pattern motor (I give up asking what it is anymore...could be a 327, could be a 350, could be a bastard like the Chevelle's 315 stroker..). We settle details and agree that I drop the car off close to the weekend.

Friday, I leave the Mirada at "the guy's" place, with a $100 deposit for the mufflers, and ride back with stepdad to get the truck. As I'm letting it warm up (hmm...this thing's kinda loud...) I get the laundry list of what does not work:

Taillights are on, brake lights don't show when lights are on.
    Turn signals are sketchy at best.
    No floor in bed. No weight over axle. Hot motor. Not good.
    Did I mention that this sonovabitch is loud??

Ok, get in truck, take off for base. I'm being very easy on it...I've driven quieter, unmuffled cars...and I'm doing good up until I get to the HWY 167 onramp to head south. Picture: there is a left-turn lane for the onramp, and about 100 yards ahead of that is a four-way stoplight. Also, for good measure, there is a State Patrolman writing some guy a ticket, facing east, on the side of the road right next to the turn lane. I'm sweating bullets. Figure I'll barely be on gas until halfway up the ramp, I'll toe-in a little harder at the end, all will be well. I start to turn, a Subaru blows the red light. Shit. Self-survival reaction, I bury the throttle to get out of the way. Ass end breaks loose, tire smoke everywhere. Truck walks up the onramp sideways, screaming like a banshee. The last time I looked at the cop he had dropped his tablet. He didn't get the chance to come catch me.

Part of the agreement for taking the truck is that I do some minor upkeep on it. My stepdad gave me $100 to get parts. Small list, really:

New wipers, fuel filter, mufflers
    Get gauge lights to work
    Get fuel gauge to work
    Mount new LED taillights

Today's topic: Mufflers. Bought two Flowtech Raptors for about $50, got home about noon, started tearing into truck. Completed task about 8:30pm. Involved in the process: a Dremel with a cutter head, an old flathead screwdriver, the broad end of a 1" wrench as a hammer. I'm not sure I'd be done if there was a bed floor in this thing. Ended up chiseling off the old mufflers. Lots of swearing.

If I can locate my battery recharger I'll get pics up. My back is killing me. Sea salt bath at boiling temperature, here I come.
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Re: First real day of work...lemme tell ya'll about it...

Have you tried that inversion table stuff?The epidural stuff worked for me but its acting up and im thinking about that route next.Needles scare me.

Comment

Originally posted by ksj1
      Have you tried that inversion table stuff?The epidural stuff worked for me but its acting up and im thinking about that route next.Needles scare me.
      Not fond of needles either. I'm doing chiro every three weeks, it's pretty much a full spinal re-alignment every time, no one section wants to stay put. I've suggested inversion, but as far as I can tell there isn't a table on base...I'll have to pay out of pocket for it, and I'm not sure it'll hold my 300-lbs.

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z
        It's a nasty little beast, an original disc-brake truck,
        68 were drum brake, but it's pretty easy to swap the disc stuff from a 71-72 on it, that probably happened a long time ago! Good thing it has good brakes the way you drive huh?

Sorry to hear about your back problems, I have been very lucky to have a good back and haven't hurt it yet (amazing with all the crap I do) so I don tknow what to suggest.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z
          I've suggested inversion ... I'll have to pay out of pocket for it, and I'm not sure it'll hold my 300-lbs.
          Bryan,

One of my buddies is a UPS driver and he has had back problems for years, with lots of pain. He recently decided to try an inversion table and after two weeks he says he feels like a new man and wished he had done it sooner.
          He bought a good one at Sam's for about $300 and I believe the load capacity is around 350 pounds.
          I know is sounds expensive, but forgetting about increased mobility and work capability, just getting rid of the pain was well worth it.

Obviously, I am not privy to your exact medical condition and your doctor would have to be consulted (since you are in the service, you wouldn't be taking dollars out of the chiropractor's pocket, so you may get an unbiased recommendation).

Comment

I only had one bout with back pain (handing grain bags down from the top of a six horse gooseneck) and it was enough so that I can understand how really horrible that is. I have no clue on the inversion table but it makes sense to me. Hope whatever you try works for you.

Dan

Comment

You have the damnedest luck with exhaust systems......and I can just picture that truck screaming up the ramp slideways.

Update the thread when ya can.

Comment

As promised...

I'm not sure about doing the taillights yet...not feeling good. Maybe later.

Comment

Those Raptors have a bit of a crackle, similar to a glasspack as I recall(a friend had a set on a '79 Monte Carlo..silenced the mighty 267).

Do they help to quell the symphony coming from the engine?

Those Center Lines are appealing to me more and more...may have a line on a set of Motor Wheel Flys, though.

Comment

It toned the engine down from felony territory to barely acceptable, but make no mistake, this puppy is loud and racous, with that "redneck truck" kind of blatty noise. It does have a glasspack bark at idle. I leave more of the noise to the engine itself...this puppy is a stomper.

As far as AutoDrags are concerned, it's kind of the "standard rim" choice. Personally I'd rather have a set of Cragar SS/T's first, and this truck should have Ansen Slots all the way around, like the C-10 from "Dazed and Confused".

Comment

*Hope you got your wood screwed, cuz I'm fixin' to blow your doors off!"

Yeah, I have that one on DVD...classic!

That truck has potential, I dig it.......definitely needs a suspension drop. Does your dad have the wood for the bed yet?

Comment

I just love the bitchin' "tea spoon" accelerator pedal !!
                        :D

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!
                          Those Raptors have a bit of a crackle, similar to a glasspack as I recall(a friend had a set on a '79 Monte Carlo..silenced the mighty 267).

Do they help to quell the symphony coming from the engine?

Those Center Lines are appealing to me more and more...may have a line on a set of Motor Wheel Flys, though.
                          those front wheels look like CL clones - nice truck

Comment

Nah, Smoke...don't think he does. This one was in danger of being sold recently, though I think I talked him back into keeping it.

Comment

Working...
                            X