No announcement yet.

Time/Distance rallying....ever done it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time/Distance rallying....ever done it?

This came up in another thread.

Time Distance Rallying is awesome fun and requires neither a race car or speed equipment. It is basically a precision driving road trip.

When I was a kid we did one in my dad's '64 Goat. The entire family was in the poncho and everyone got involved. I did a couple of these with my wife during and right after college.

Anyone else?

That which you manifest is before you.

Re: Time/Distance rallying....ever done it?

You mean like a cannonball sort of?
    I'm planning one with a friend over the summer
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Kinda sorta, but not really.

Essentially you are handed a route and directions. Your job is to hit the checkpoints in the perscribed amount of time. There is no speeding involved and they take place on public roads. Ok, there is speeding involved when you botch up the directions and dad gets to power shift the GTO through three gears in an attempt to make up time.

It's fun stuff.
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

We have never done one before but we want to. It seems like we always hear about them about a week or so after they happen. >

Comment

Usually this is called Time-Speed-Distance (TSD) rallying. Not only do you have to follow the directions, but maintain whatever average speed the instructions call for. My wife and I did a considerable amount of this type of rallying way back when. I would like to do it againl, but in this area the sports car clubs that used to put these on no long do so. They are all into autocross and the like and no rallying. I would like to try it again.

Comment

One Lap of America is a well-known time/distance rally.
            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

We always had a 4th of July race weekend. It was 4 races. 4 laps at Waterford Hills-in and out of the pits, not running laps-a matching time autocross, a regular autocross and a TDS. It was a lot of fun. I did it one year with my sister and we didn't even understand what we were supposed to do until after the first check point. We finished somewhere at the top-2nd or 3rd- and beat everyone in our car club.
              Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Heck Brian, I do this everyday...!
                I leave from home at a set time, and 'try' to arrive at my desitination at the EXACT time required and not a minute earlier or later.
                I'm not so sure about the 'fun'-part, but I believe it's also known as COMMUTING! :D :D

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Maybe this type of rallying,is a little easier with a GPS.Easy to cheat with one here.

Comment

Did it back in HS, usually late night on weekends. My bro stacked up the camaro when he pulled out in front of a fellow rallyer.....I think that was the last one I/we ever did...
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

We did that once in High School, were given a map with directions (not really good ones) and you had to arrive at the destination within a perscribed time set by the officials that ran the course by going the speed limit.

it was really fun. I didn't get close to winning, because my navigator (girlfriend) screwed up and we got lost (and I was speeding), but definitely fun !!
                      ;D

Comment

Being an actual Sporty car guy.... I've done this a bunch as part of the club scene.... it's been a while... but I've even organized some.... casts or set speeds and such....

Been Way to long... it's a good time

K

Comment

I was in a Corvette club way back when and me and #2 did a few. It was fun even though we sucked at it. The best part was ending up at the bar and having dinner/drinks with a bunch of friends.

Dan

Comment

Brian, One of the first dates I had with my now wife was just that. I showed up at the Rally sign up spot in my brandy new '85 Z-28. There were Audi's, BMW's, Porsche's and othe mid to high dollar cars. My first ever Rally. Using my trip odometer, a wrist watch with a second hand and my Girl as the navigator, we had a blast. We finished 4th out of over 35 cars.

If I thought about it earlier in the rally I could have placed better. I missed a few turns and at first I would whip a "Ueey" and then continue on, Then I remembered that the odometer doesnt read reverse miles so from then on if I missed a turn I'd back up to it then run a bit faster than the posted speed for a very short time to make up the lost minute or two.

Those were fun. Did a few of them. Then were the "Bug Juice Rallys" where they gave you hints to each leg of the rally. You had to figure them out and get there to get the next hint. Kind of like,

"Find the Pink Panther between rt.139 and rt. 123 for the next hint"

It would end up being a cardboard display sign in the Cape Cod Lumber window. There would be a Rally worker there to check your miles and time and hand you the next hint. Alot of fun........

Comment

O.K. when is the 1st annual BS rally / scavenger hunt / bar hop planned for ?

Comment

Working...
                              X