Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apparently my daily driver isn't a street car...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently my daily driver isn't a street car...

The newest issue of HRM had a rather over the top letter arguing about what wasn't a street car. I'm not sure if it was serious or a joke. An irate reader was arguing that any of these would disqualify a car from being a street car:

- Needing race gas
    - Having a roll cage
    - Tubbing it
    - Removing the carpet
    - Removing the inner fenderwells
    - Trunk mounted battery
    - Transbrake
    - Slicks

Ok, I'm sure many BangShifters have driven cars like this on the street, so I won't even bother to ask about occasional use cars. How many of these "not a street car" things have you had in your daily driver? I've had a daily driver with no carpets (the Dart when I was in high school), and my current daily driver has a trunk mounted battery. You tend to forget it's even there.

I've got to wonder if this was a joke...

Re: Apparently my daily driver isn't a street car...

Rob seems to have taken it seriously.

I would drive a car with all those mods on the street, before I'd drive a stock hondacar on the street

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
      I would drive a car with all those mods on the street, before I'd drive a stock hondacar on the street
      you sounded just like Clint Eastwood when you posted that
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

The guy who wrote that letter is a total dinkus.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I hope it was a joke, but sadly there are many people out there who think that way. Don't confuse them with the facts, their opinion is the one and only truth no matter what. If it's legally licensed for the street, gets driven on the street, and can make a trip of more than 5 miles without blowing up or barfing coolant everywhere, it is probably a street car. Write me down for a daily driver that wasn't a 'street car'. Some of my hoopties haven't even had complete dashes or functioning gauges for awhile, let alone carpeting!
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

I think Kinnan responded/addressed the letter very well. IMO, the only thing one could argue would be the slicks. Not sure about the other 49 states; yet, in California "true" slicks are illegal on the street (sans DOT approved ET Streets).
            Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
              The guy who wrote that letter is a total dinkus.
              BK??

Comment

Ho-Boy,here we go again ;D ;D ;)!! Still,I wonder why most 'Street Car Guy's' use Slicks when there's Drag Radials,ect. And yes,I've driven & ridden in my fair share of stripped-out Ghetto Garbage-Mobiles in my time. What fun ;D!! And yeah,the Writer simply doesn't 'get it' : :P. Arse. ~J/W.

Comment

well.
                  I guess every CHEVY HHR isn't a street car,guess where the battery is..

Comment

The guy who wrote the letter probably is of the opinion that in order for it to be a true street car, you never have to pop the hood, and you can take it to Jiffy Lube for the oil changes. In other words, a real street car is one that you don't have to work on.

What man doesn't understand, he fears. :D What man fears, he destroys. :P
                    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

My jeep didnt have carpet and had a cage (although i dont know if this kind of car qualifies...)

My stang has a trunk mounted battery and the innerfenderwells are long gone

Comment

Both of mine have had some or all of those at one point in their lives. I daily drive them in nice weather...
                        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

My Orange '71 Scamp has a 10-point 'Cage,no Carpet(and no Trunk-Mat :D...),no Back Seat(still got 'em will put 'em back over the Winter...) & no Dashpad(had it restored by Just Dashes,never made the time to put it back in yet...). Underneith,there's a Driveshaft Loop,and Subframe Connecters. I can still drive it though,the Battery's still in it's origional place,the stock /6 Drivetrain,ect is still in place. So it's a Street Car ;D. I've got to other Carpet-less Cars as well ;D ;)! ~J/W.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodward_Dreams
                            My jeep didnt have carpet and had a cage (although i dont know if this kind of car qualifies...)

My stang has a trunk mounted battery and the innerfenderwells are long gone
                            on a unitbody car?
                            if they're gone that cars ready for the scrap pile

Comment

No,Fox-Bodied Cars have simple Plastic inner Fender Wells,they simply come out with a Screwdriver,they serve no Structual purpose. ~J/W.

Comment

Working...
                              X