Yahoo Auto's Top 10 Worst car names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yahoo Auto's Top 10 Worst car names

A long handled implement used for digging dirt.

Dan

Comment

The porsche boxster has always seemed funny to me for some reason.

Comment

How about the Porsche Cayman.Oh what kind of jokes you can make with that one! VW has the worst right now.Our
        big 3 always has the best .

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
          I'm glad they included the Ford Probe on that list.

SEriously, how the hell do you expect to get a girl to take a ride in your "Probe" ???

I would like to know what happened to the marketing whiz that came up with that name. I would say he's not in the marketing business anymore, but... there sure are a lot of new cars with bad names so who knows...
          He may not have been in marketing to begin with, as when Ford came up with the name, they weren't seriously planning to use it on a production car. The name "Probe" first got used on a batch of aerodynamics test mules, most of which looked like a fleet of spaceships. Could very well have been somebody in the engineering department saying, "That looks like some kinda space probe," and the name stuck. One of the Probe designs was sort of used as the basis for the production car's styling.

Only it wasn't supposed to be called the Probe at all - the car was meant to be the fourth generation Mustang, in response to the Omni-based Dodge Charger and a rumored Beretta-based fourth generation Camaro with a small V8 driving the front wheels. Ford eventually came to their senses, but only after they'd come up with the tooling for the car and built a brand new factory to make it. So they realized they couldn't just call off the project, but they were stuck with a car that was about to be launched and no name for it. Slapping the Probe name off the concept car series onto the production car was a last minute decision.

Comment

Working...
          X