Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Detroit find buyers for new small cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will Detroit find buyers for new small cars?

Originally posted by yellomalibu
    I say yes, absolutely.

If I didn't have to pull a trailer for work, I'd drive a small car for the gas mileage. I can think of a bunch of things I'd rather spend my money on than fuel.

Think of the millions of low income workers in the country... now think of gas costing $4.00 a gallon, which it probably will again.

Average 200 miles a week. @ 10 mpg, it costs $320 a month for gas. @ 20 mpg, it costs $160 a month for gas. @40 mpg it costs $80 a month for gas.

for the minimum wage workers, that's HUGE savings... hell, for middle class that's big savings.

Rather than putting that money in your gas tank, making the oil companies rich, people will spend their money in restaurants, malls, etc.
    i agree. make an exciting, good looking small car and it will sell to many people. obviously, it's not for eveyone. if you are over 6', ok, a small cars not for you, but there are alot of smaller people, that sit in traffic, that don't have alot of disposable income, that want an inexpensive car that gets good gas milage. not all people in this world are car nuts like us. some have talked about the american cars, however, Ford quality has been on par with the japanese for a few years now (my 04 escape has 110,000 miles with no shop time...knock on wood), the fusion is MT car of the year, the 2011 fiesta is a really nice car.
    however, small cars are just a part of the market, and in the U.S. there will always be a market for trucks and hot rods. the trick is to be able to diversify profitably.
    Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

an escape is a mazda tribute , the fusion is a mazda 6 , the focus is a mazda 3

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
        an escape is a mazda tribute , the fusion is a mazda 6 , the focus is a mazda 3
        And neither company is owned by the government. ;)
        I R Bob
        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

japanese companys are in partnership with the japanese government

Comment

But not OUR government. But we do know who is....... ;D
            I R Bob
            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

yes , not so generous to the technician motors

Comment

actually, Fords 35% stake in Mazda has been reduced. ford sold off some of it's stock for cash flow. that's part of the reason Ford didn't need money from the government.
                Furthermore, we've had this discusion before. as a world company, why wouldn't you use all your wordly resource. economy of scale, et al. it's basic economics.
                by the way, Ford stock is up to $9.76 per share, a steady week of increase.
                Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Working...
                X