Dirty taters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty taters

There's a BBQ place in Apopka, FL called Porky's that has really amazing food. My favorite thing is their "dirty taters". They inspired me to try to copy them... but then I gave up and added some things of my own that I know aren't in their recipe... but may even be better! Here's what I came up with:

3 red potatoes w/ skin 3/4" dice
    1/2 yellow onion small dice
    heaping teaspoon minced garlic
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    small pinch paprika
    1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
    small pinch crushed red pepper
    1 teaspoon salt
    *1/2 cup diced andouille sausage

cover with water, cover, simmer until tender
    strain out the water (but leave all the little bits of seasoning and spice)
    add 1-2 T butter (I use Smart Balance) and 2 T sour cream
    fold to combine

*andouille sausage is a spicy, smoked sausage commonly used in gumbos from Louisiana.

Note: the Andouille sausage adds some spice, so the crushed red pepper probably wasn't necessary at all. If you or your guests don't like "spicy", leave both out.. or use mild sausage instead.

Re: Dirty taters

Sounds yummy, but why not just use chicken or beef broth and cook it down?
    Water doesn't bring any flavor to the party.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

That sounds really good right now.

Comment

I got a little heartburn just from reading the recipe but can't wait to try it!

Comment

You guys are driving me nuts with all this good food you're talking about - safe to say any and all gatherings of BS'ers will be full of good viddles! BSEAST sure was - thanks again to all the cooks involved.

I'd say yellow's recipe sounds absolutely righteous - too bad my very pregnant wife isn't into anything spicy for a while....
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax
            Sounds yummy, but why not just use chicken or beef broth and cook it down?
            Water doesn't bring any flavor to the party.
            True enough. ... but with the exception of the andouille (which was given to me) I'm trying to figure out how to eat on the cheap.
            Ramen noodles twice a day got old, quick.

I'm working with a tight food budget over here. Store bought broth or stock is too expensive.

I do, however, save my chicken bones in the freezer until I have enough to make stock... but I usually use it when I make it to make chicken and rice or chicken soup.

Comment

Wow! This makes me hungry. Sounds great. I make stock when I make chicken salad. I get a whole chicken when they are on sale. I watch for the buy one get one free specials they have every once and a while. When I want chicken salad or chicken noodle soup, etc. I just plop one of the chickens into the crock pot (frozen works fine) let it do its thing all day. Usual add only a cup or so of water to begin with and more later as needed. Makes a great stock. I usual put some herbs in with the chicken.

Comment

Sounds fabulous Dave !!
                I'm gonna try some of them thar dirty taters with Bob's Bacon Explosion recipe !!
                ;D

Comment

I cook something very similar when I'm smoking or grilling. While I might use a little different recipie, everything listed in the recipie here will work. I like to use sliced jalapeno peppers instead of red chili flake and I preferr red onion. I put the taters on a big sheet of aluminum foil. Put a big hunk of real butter on top and pile all the other ingredients on. Fold the foil up into a pouch and keep it sealed as best as possible. Put on the grill on either indirect heat or low heat. It needs to cook fairly slow and not get too hot or it will burn. I like to get this started first while I get whatever meat and other stuff ready. Slow cooking, it could take 1.5 to 2 hours. I plan the cooking time of the taters and the meat I'm cooking so they come off at the same time and everything's hot. I also preferr to use Ranch salad dressing, but I do it separate because not everyone I feed likes it that way. 8)

Comment

Working...
                  X