7 Dead in Likely Drag-Race Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7 Dead in Likely Drag-Race Crash

Bill and I are in total agreement on this one. The NHRA and others have been working for over fifty years to change the image of drag racing, and all their good work can be undone in one newscast. It just frosts my cookies. BTW - a "drag race" is, by definition "a TIMED acceleration contest on a CLOSED RACE COURSE" - so there is no way this was anything like a "drag race". This was, most likely, a street race. I've even heard reporters call a bunch of idiots weaving in and out of expressway traffic a "drag race". Where's the start line? Where's the finish line? Where's the timing equipment? Where's the closed race course?

Please, NHRA, SEMA, and others with a stake in this - get your folks out there and get these reporters to straighten up. And where do we write/who do we contact to get this message to the right people. I'm more than willing to put my keyboard where my mouth is, but we need to get these messages to someone who matters and not be deleted by some clerk who wants to clear out his/her Email box. I genuinely believe that this MATTERS. It's crap like this that the EPA and other organizations point to when they want to disregard our interests and pass regulations that will negatively impact our hobby.

Dan

Originally posted by min301
    Someones should e-mail them, it's a street race, not a drag race. Those are sanctioned, and only happen at the track.

Comment

Sad yes.Stupid yes.Not to make excuses,but if any "street racing" is done around here its on the most deserted roads,and attendance is limited to the participants.And that was YEARS ago.I'm glad to have survived that without incident.I was also confused about the 61 year old.He was out watching street races with the family at 3 oclock in the morning?I can't see it as a spur of the moment thing if they had a huge crowd at that time of the night.They shoulda went to the strip in the evening.But there probably isn't a strip within 50 miles,and if there is it's in danger of closing,or rarely open,or it's been sold to make way for another crappy housing project.Every town needs an abandoned airstrip like the one at the end of Two Lane Blacktop.

Comment

It is sad that those folks died but even at 49 years young I won't be out at 3:30 am on the side of the road to watch a race. On the same note last night here in Jackson,Mississippi there was a street racer in an '06 Honda Civic that lost control,hit a tree and was killed. Keep it on the track where it is safe!!

Comment

"7 dead in Maryland racing accident"
          Off a street racing board.

Member # 4284

posted February 16, 2008 11:00 AM
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          R.I.P TO MY HOMIES BIG"O" & WILLIAM SO FAR THAT I KNOW OF...... LOVE YA MAN!!!!!!! WE WERE SUPPOSE TO HAD BEEN THERE LAST NIGHT, BUT WE HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE CAR, ((THINGS HAPPEN WHEN WE DONT KNOW WHY))).... R.I.P FELLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Member # 4284

posted February 16, 2008 01:28 PM
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          to clear this up: my boy died from the fact of the police chasing the crown victoria, the kid ran thru the crowd at about 75 mph, the race had already taking place and the cars had gone thru, it was just like at any other race, when at the starting line people gather and once the cars leave the line, people gather to the center to see the cars making the pass, well from behind here comes the crown vic with no head lights and thru the crowd..... NOW THE ####ING COPS DONT WANNA TELL THE TRUTH BECAUSE OF THE " NO CHASE LAW." RIP "OTTIS & SPORT"

[ February 16, 2008, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: ]

Member # 4284

posted February 16, 2008 02:34 PM
          JUST FOUND OUT THAT MY SISTER'S BOYFRIEND NEPHEW WHICH NAME WAS " BOOGIE" AS WELL WAS ONE OF THE 8, ITS NOW A 8 COUNT AND PEOPLE ARE STILL IN THE HOSPITAL IN CRITICAL CONDITION, AND 2 OTHERS HAD SURGERY TO REMOVE THEIR LEGS A FEW MINUTES AGO.. 4-LOST THEIR LEGS OF THE 8, MY PARTNER WAS THE ONE THAT GOT HIT TWICE, THE CAR SPLIT'EM IN HALF AND MY OTHER BOY SAID HE RAN AND TRIED TO PULL HIS TOP HALF OUT THE HIGHWAY, BUT THE TRACTOR TRAILER CAME TO FAST AND HE COULDNT GET'EM OUT THE WAY WITHOUT GETTING HIT HISSELF!!!! THIS IS MY LAST POST ABOUT IT.... THANKS .COM 4 BEING THE RACING FAMILY WE ARE!!!

[ February 16, 2008, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: ]

Member # 1578

posted February 16, 2008 03:24 PM

quote:
          Originally posted by :
          to clear this up: my boy died from the fact of the police chasing the crown victoria, the kid ran thru the crowd at about 75 mph, the race had already taking place and the cars had gone thru, it was just like at any other race, when at the starting line people gather and once the cars leave the line, people gather to the center to see the cars making the pass, well from behind here comes the crown vic with no head lights and thru the crowd..... NOW THE ####ING COPS DONT WANNA TELL THE TRUTH BECAUSE OF THE " NO CHASE LAW." RIP "OTTIS & SPORT"

r.i.p. to all that left us early.
          you guys have to get the truth out
          there.. i know people are going to be scared to
          talk .(not wanting to implicate themselves at the scene).
          but a crowd of people could have just as easily been there tring to help out in a simple auto accident too.
          you guys have dozens of witnesses vs a driver
          and a pair of cops..dam this is ugly.

[ February 16, 2008, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: ]

Member # 2040

posted February 17, 2008 12:26 PM
          well i saw this in the paper here in NJ today and i smell cover up. reason is there is too many different statements from the cops and that car looks to me like a police car. white and the blue vinyl seat in the back blue interior i have the same thing. i think internal affairs should get in on this one and they keep saying because of drag racing. hey there could of been a parade going on what the hell is the difference. my opinion from what i read and of course this is a speculation i think the race went off this under cover cop know and was hiding and he went to chace the cars with no head light and i bet a very very dark road.. and did not realize that people would of been in the road and tragedy happened! that's what i think happened and the cops are playing dumb

Member # 2363

posted February 17, 2008 06:44 PM
          I hope they figure it out. The undercover thing does make sence but who knows. Its sad that this happened and I hope they get to the bottom of this. I dont think it is right that the driver has no charges pending and they want to find the racers.

Member # 2363

posted February 17, 2008 09:09 PM
          so far they have let the names out of 6 of the 8 deceased...
          Mark Courtney, 33
          Daryl Wills, 38
          Maycol Lopez, 20
          Blaine Briscoe, 49
          William Gaines, 61
          Ervin Gardner, 39

Member # 2363

posted February 17, 2008 09:36 PM
          I dont know if there was any truth to it but apparently there was a video out there that....

"allegedly shows the white crown victoria being chased by police shortly before the crash. The person allegedly showed the tape to police and it was confiscated on the scene..... This will hold some important clues as to if the white crown victoria was being chased and if the police from the next county stopped the pursuit at the county line."

there was a video online on youtube but it is now gone

Member # 2363

posted February 17, 2008 11:44 PM

quote:
          you would feel diffrent if you got the same call i did telling me to id the body of a loved one and all the truth is not out policwe have more info given directly to the families as the driver of the car was drunk and on the run so please get the whole story or shut up!!!!

and

quote:
          i THINK YOU SHOULD KNOW NO LIGHTS ON THAT TIME OF MORNING AS I WAS INFORED BY A POLICE OFFICER IS ALSO A GOOD REASON THIS HAPPENED AND WHY THAT FOOL COULD NOT SEE MORE THAN 10 PEOPLE IN THE ROAD THEY WHERE WRONG FOR RACING BUT TO WATCH IS NO MORE THAN ANYONE THERE DID EVEN UP TO THAT NIGHT WHEN POLICE REVIED MANY CALLES ABOIT THIS AND CHOSE TO DO NOTHING AT ALL THERE ARE ALOT OF REAONS THIS SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED AND BLAME SHOULD BE PLACED ON ALL PARTIES POLICE SPECTATORS RACERS AND THE DRIVER FOR HAVING NO LIGHTS ON EVEN IN THE FOG IT IS HARD TO SEE WITH THEM ON BUT IT IS ALSO ILLEAGLE TO DRIVE WITHOUT THEM IT IS A CRIME I LOST A LOVED ONE AND IT HURTS LIKE HE!! THERE ARE ALOT MORE THINGS POLICE SAY HAVE NOT BEEN RELEASED YET ALL IN GOOD TIME MY FRIEND YOU WILL SEE THE DRIVER WAS AVOIDING POLICE BEACUSE HE WAS DRUNK AND HAD LIGHTS OFF SO THEYT WOULD NOT SEE HIM

from somebody who lost a loved one

[ February 18, 2008, 02:48 AM: Message edited by: ]

Comment

Street racing is street racing not drag racing. Problem can't be solved if it is incorrectly labeled. We keep losing tracks here in So Cal. Tracks are the answer but not the complete answer. They need more street racing events at dragstrips. If I'm not mistaken, their are a few tracks in several directions of were this happen, why were they on the street. Are there not enough street race events at these tracks? Are they too far? When there is place to drag race street racing goes down, but when there is a place to race just like on the street, street racing is almost eliminated. Street racing is not drag racing nor is drag racing street racing even though it evolved from street racing.

Comment

EthelKilledFred (aka EKF)

Thanks for posting the "inside" info.

Makes it much more "real",

& not just another "news story".

Comment

So why are the cops looking for the two cars that raced? The fact the people were on the highway because of those cars doesn't change the fact somebody else mowed them over.

The Crown Vic shown in pictures looks like a cop car to me too. Be interesting to see who it's registered to. They aren't charging the driver yet they want to charge two other drivers who weren't even at the scene.

Comment

All I got to say to this is that it's a very sad event. I know that I am not going to street race.

Comment

Working...
                  X