How much would you sell it for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much would you sell it for

I have a short block I'm half arsed trying to sell here locally. I'm not in bad need of the money and don't have to sell in immediately, but it is taking up room in my buddy Iron 1Y's shop and I'm sure he'd like it out of the way. I don't have a good place to store it right now. So, with the following information, if you were selling this, what would be be asking for it.

I'll be out of here pretty soon and will be gone for the weekend. If I can't check in on the weekend, I'll be back Monday and we'll see how far off I am. Bullet and Iron 1Y, no cheating. ;)

The block is fresh .030 bore 2-bolt, 2 freeze plug. Needs to be lightly honed as it got some surface rust. The cam tunnel was honed oversize but it comes with new $70 Durabond bearings and accepts standard cam journals. Crank is factory cast and is fresh .010/.010. Pistons are Speed Pro Hypereutectic, 9.75:1 with a 76cc chamber. Missing 1 piston which can be ordered for about $20. 5.565 cast rods. Needs rods resized, rotating assembly needs to be balanced and the main journals need to be align honed. Includes new Federal Mogul rod and main bearings and a new high volume oil pump. Also has the factory stamped oil pan and timing cover. Head gaskets, non-hardened pushrods and brass freeze plugs also included. This motor has never been assembled with these new parts. It's in a friends garage and needs a new home. All or nothing.
    I added a poll just for the heck of it.
    under $500
    0%
    $550
    0%
    $600
    0%
    $650
    0%
    $700
    0%
    $750
    0%
    $800 or more
    0%

Re: How much would you sell it for

Is this a 400? I only ask because of the rod length.
    Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

Originally posted by 82z
      Is this a 400? I only ask because of the rod length.
      Yes, the rod length and the 2 freeze plugs.

I once sold a standard, standard, standard 400 short block for $500.
      I probably wouldn't pay more than about $200 for a short block that's already .030 overbore and .010 .010 on the crank. I guess you could add the price of the new parts you have with it.

Comment

two polls: how much I'd ask, and how much I'd take

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I can already tell by the choices you offered in your poll, that you won't get out of it what you want ..

Comment

why the oversize cam bearings?
            2 bolt,cast in pieces and rusty..
            u might not be ablr to give it away

Comment

Originally posted by urwurznitmahre
              The cam tunnel was honed oversize
              That's why the oversize cam bearings.

Many people find the 2 bolts more desirable than the 4 bolts, as they are stronger in the web area; and if high rpm race motor is desired, the 2 bolt is the better candidate to add aftermarket splayed caps.

He wont have any trouble selling it, but he may not get as much money for it as he is or was hoping.

Even if the block isn't desired, the crank can be turned down to 350 main size, put 350 pistons on those rods, and you have a cheap 383 stroker kit.

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu
                Originally posted by urwurznitmahre
                The cam tunnel was honed oversize
                That's why the oversize cam bearings.

Many people find the 2 bolts more desirable than the 4 bolts, as they are stronger in the web area; and if high rpm race motor is desired, the 2 bolt is the better candidate to add aftermarket splayed caps.

He wont have any trouble selling it, but he may not get as much money for it as he is or was hoping.

Even if the block isn't desired, the crank can be turned down to 350 main size, put 350 pistons on those rods, and you have a cheap 383 stroker kit.
                yes I read the post,
                let me reword it.
                why was the cam bores honed?
                and cyl that need a clean up because of rust? thats a big red flag,, that tells me , no care was taken to wipe the bores down with a little grease for storage, and I'd be ask'n myself "how was the block and parts handled,if the owner didn't take the time to oil or grease the cyl walls after machining, but thats me..

Comment

Sorry I forgot to specify that it is a 400. You guys figured that out.

The rear cam bearing journal was too big and standard cam bearings didn't fit right. So I had the machine shop hone the cam tunnel for the Durabond bearings. They are thicker, so the outside diameter is bigger than standard, but the inside diameter is standard size.

The cylinders aren't bad. I figure a touch up with a brush hone would take care of it. I had the block oiled and stored, but it was stored at my now ex-mother in law's. Her son decided it was in his way and he put it outside in the weather. I've cleaned it up and had it checked and it appears to be in good shape.

I have no doubt that I won't get what I have in it. Currently, I'd really like to get $600 out of everything. I know it's nothing really fancy and is a basically stock short block. If I have to, I'll have it cleaned up and the short block assembled. If it sells, fine. If not, I'll keep it and maybe find something to put it in and play with. 8)

Comment

BTW, I already got an offer of $200 for the block. I don't care to separate everything right now. After selling the block, I'm pretty sure I'll end up stuck with the rest of the parts. The crank could probably sell, but the other assorted pieces would be nearly impossible to get anything for.

Just though opinions from other parts of the country would be interesting. For some of you, maybe these 400's are easy and cheap to get. For others, maybe not. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                      two polls: how much I'd ask, and how much I'd take

I think in my case, it's more a matter of how much I ask. If I was hurting for money and really needed it gone, I'd take a lot less than I'm asking. 8)

Comment

around here a running 400 sbc goes for about $200 to $300
                        blocks that need bored $150 to $200 for a good standard
                        bore block. a fresh bored block $300 to about $600 for a block thats
                        fully done with splayed caps but lately I have seen sevral blocks with fresh .030 bore
                        new splayed caps, decked and lined honed for $500. but the
                        block I just picked up for $150 has a good useable bore but no one wanted
                        a used bore even though its in spec. it also had a nice crank that was turned .010/.010
                        and will clean up with a little polishing. new seems to be a buyers market
                        but not much of a sellers market :-\ If I were you Jay I would hold on to it
                        COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

The motor I blew up last May has all of the same bits, (except 8 forged pistons) and I paid 400 for it. All I had to do was screw it together and check clearances.....
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'm too good natured...always wanting to give car guys a good deal if they seem like the type who'll give my junk a good home. I voted under $500 (and prob quite a bit under)
                            Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

I'm sure you guys are right. If I have to get rid of it, I'll price it to get it sold quick. We always know we'll never get out of it what we have in it, but I've got more than that just in machine work on it, much less parts. You can't buy a block, crank, rods, and a decent rebuild kit and have all the machine work done for $1000. Like I mentioned, maybe I'll finish the machine work on it, assemble it and see if I can get what I want for it. If not, I'll have a smallblock ready to play. I'm sure $600 is a bit too much for an almost stock bottom end that still needs a piston and some machine work, but I'd rather keep it for $400-$500.

Comment

Working...
                              X