Bob's Big Boy 12/18/09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob's Big Boy 12/18/09

I needed a car show. It's been a rough year for me financially, mentally, and emotional. To say I don't have any Christmas spirit would be an understatement. I just want 2009 over with. So, for my own mental health I took Friday evening off from work, gassed up the Impala, and headed to the Valley for gearhead fun.

Bob's Big Boy here in Toluca Lake (that's just a neighborhood right next to Burbank), opened in 1949. by 1950 the Burbank Road Kings car club was using it as a stop on their Friday night cruising of the Valley. Other stops were other Big Boy's, one in Van Nuys and one in Glendale. By the late 70's cruising as a whole was either out of fashion or just plain illegal in many cases. This Bob's was starting to fall to the wayside. By 1990, some developer wanted it so he could bull doze it and build another damn office building. The Road Kings came to the rescue. They got a petition and thousands signed it to have the building designated as a historical landmark. They succeeded. No more developer. In 1991, the current Friday night show started. And, it's been a success ever since.

Last night, Dodge came out with some of their toys they've been using here in town filming commercials. You'll start seeing those commercials in a couple weeks, if not earlier. They also got a local club of Challenger owners to bring out some of their rides as well and their ended up being no less than two dozen new Challengers invading Bob's parking lot. At least 15 were supercharged by at least 8 different companies, so their is no shortage of those making toys for these modern muscle cars.

I met Johnny Hunkins of PHR last night and hung out with him. Rob Kinnan of HRM showed up and I talked with him at length for the first time. I was flattered how Johnny wanted my input and opinion on the articles he's been running in PHR. That meant a lot to me. He tells me he's looking for a new tech editor as Liz Miles decided to move back to Norcal. Through these guys I met Christopher Titus, a real car guy and a contributor to Goodguys Gazette. Jay Leno showed up for about 5 seconds, then disappeared. More on that later.

All in all, it was a good way to forget about the real world for a while. Enjoy some of these pics I took.

Please excuse the pic quality. Dumbass forgot his camera so these are cell phone pics.

I'm not usually a fan of white cars. They remind too much of rental fleets. But, this Hurst Edition I liked. That's a Vortech Supercharger under hood. The wheels are updated 20 inch versions of the original Hurst wheels of the day. Inside, of course, is a gold anodized aluminum Hurst shifter for the auto.

This one was from Stack Performance. It's an SRT8 with a bunch of goodies. They had 6.1 Hemi has a cold air kit, headers, and a cat back system.

Someone brought this flamed out one. Didn't much info on it except the owner is a member of SoCal Challengers Club.

The bright yellow Challenger is from SMS Performance. Those vacuum lines running under the hood go to three vents on each side of the hood that open and close with the throttle. They aren't attached to anything like the intake. They're just neato gee whiz things. SMS also has their own supercharger which you can buy in kit form for $10k. The 570 refers to the 5.7 Hemi under hood.

This wide body Challenger was driven in by Leno. He got out and did an interview for Auto Week's show, then disappeared. Word has it a big dealer in Vegas built it for him. It still has dealer plates on it, so I guess it's not officially Leno's. It's got custom, one off 22's and 24's. Of course it does. Some guy was handing out free pictures of yourself with the car. I declined. Not sure who the dork is with Challenger bling-bling on. He's acting like it's security guard.

This Challenger is by far my favorite. It say's it's an R/T but it has the big boy 6.1 under it's hood. This particular car is a Factory Image Car built by Dodge's toy dept. It was supposed to be destroyed, but somehow made it onto their road show of fancy cars. I was told it's going to be an option called the Black Top, but we'll see. That includes the flat black on Brilliant Black paint job, two tone leather, front and rear spoilers, and 20 inch blacked out Viper rims. I like.

There were a few errant Chargers and Magnums there too. This was one of the scary ones.

Bear with me. I have more photos. I have to wait for photobucket to get their ass in gear.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Re: Bob's Big Boy 12/18/09

I hope you didnt tell Hunkins that the Laguna project sucks.Cause its the only magazine that have taken the 73-77 Chevelles seriously :D.

Those Challengers lookin good.And your writing is better than most of the articles i read,cause you take with you things that a journalist never mentions.

Comment

Thanks for the report. That bald guy with the bling looks to be the "King of Cars" guy. He had a show on Discovery or TLC about his dealership and the crazy stuff they did to sell cars. See a guy dressed up as a blue Geni next to him? This dude also had the Pimp my ride shop (West Coast Customs right?) build him a convertable Challenger.
      GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

Brian, bingo on "the king".

I'm pretty sure he is the highest volume Dodge dealer on the planet.

Brian
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Nice pictures, Im jealous as I think about starting up my snowblower to clean my driveway! Nice stuff there,that dude is
          that guy they call "chopper" or the chopper something stupid. On that show it looks like they will find any way to finance anyone anything. Id like to see one of those Challenger with a real contrasting two tone say b5 blue and white.

Comment

Cant think of his name but he is a car dealer out of vegas, sells damn near every brand but mostly deals in high dollar rolls, bentley's, ect. Yes he usually has a genni with him.
            Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

Glad to see the moral booster worked for you Reb.Thanks for sharing those pics with us.
              Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Towbin Dodge, King of cars "Chop, the blue genni"

Comment

Scott,

Thanks for thinking to snap some pics, and sharing the cruise-in goodness with the rest of us.

I couldn't care less if they are feature-quality photos or not...they are still cool!

The "Black Top" paintjob looks neat(kinda peculiar how it kinda mirrors the HR "kit" car...or is it the other way around?).....the Hurst and SMS cars are real lookers, too.

Jury's out on the car done up for Leno......the paint and wheels kinda make it look "dull"...maybe it's just me.

Hope that the night off and other things help to you you to a better frame-of-mind...been a tough year all around!

Smoke

Comment

Scott, you always provide the best narration on the events. For a car fix, you should have gone with us yesterday on the corvette run through warner hot springs, julian and borrego springs. that was my fix for the winter, i was jacked most of last night from the fun!
                    Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

Great pics Scott, thanks for sharing and hope you are feeling better.
                      ;)

Comment

Nice Pics & writeup Scott. But,don't let Life get ya down. Onwards & upwards I say 8). ~J/W.

Comment

Stack Performance brought out this car as well. I'm thinking you buy this if you're terrified no one will notice you.

Here's the row of Challengers.

Some of the other cars:
                          Remember when phone box Model T's were all the rage in the 70's? It seemed they all disappeared until recently. This one was sure sweet. It was being guarded by the sweetest little dog too.

I'm not really into Jeeps, but this one was sure cool. It didn't have the usual sbc under too. I dig the diamond plate dash and dual chromed sticks sticking out of the floor.

You don't see many of these yuppie wagons hot rodded. This one was sure cool. That's a blown 2.8 ltr Chevy engine from an S-10. The guy is having carb issues because he's only getting 10 mpg. That's pathetic for that itty bitty engine. Behind the V6 was a T5. I'd only lose the SS emblems.

21 window VW mini busses are all the rage here in SoCal and this one was super nice. What a perfect ride for a picnic on the beach with your honey.

This guy always a chopped top Merc Comet sedan delivery. Only problem, Merc never made one. So out came the torches. Under hood was a roller 5.0 and AOD.

Not sure why this really cool 66 Elco was sitting in the street. Factory 396, bucket seats, console were inside along with a period era tach and the factory vacuum gauge on the console.

This 56 F100 was powered by a Corvette 350 with an early high intake. It originally was built in the 70's with a 301 sbc (283 with a 327 crank), but that got blown to bits during a night of fun. He still had carnage bits from that night 30 years ago.

With the exception of the wheels, this really clean 65 SS Nova was stocker on the outside. The hot lil 327 under hood had a nice healthy lope to it.

This is one of those Auburn Boattail Speedsters that were built on Lincoln Towncar chassis back in the early 80's. This one was one of nicest I've seen. The owner of this car is usually here with customized finned era Caddy's.

What a nice 60 Vette. I never talked to the owner about it, but it was sporting a chromed 4 spd stick inside.

This 64 1/2 Mustang looked like it was bought new, driven home, and put in the garage until today. The 260 V8 was still under hood. It also had the full length console inside, but little else in options.

Our own Groucho brought is current toy. This customized 59 Apache p/u. It has a Camaro front clip, 350 sbc, disc brakes all around, air bags and a really cool Mooneyes blue sparkled steering wheel.

Wes Migletz (sp?) is a veteran CC Anti-Tour, where I met him. His 62 Vette is a total beater, but a damn fast one. He's currently running low 12's with baby. Wes is serving our country in the Army Air Cav and is due to be redeployed next summer. Under hood is a 383 with AFR heads and hydraulic roller cam.

This 67 Vette convertible is totally bitchin. It's a 15,000 mile survivor with a repaint in 75 and a new top in 72, but the 390 hp 427, 4 spd, AC, side pipes, rally's, big brakes, and the interior are all untouched and original. I always was a fan of the Sunfire Yellow paint of the era.

60's era Chevy Suburbans have a big following here. Their pricey too. This flamed out one was sure nice.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blazerteam
                            I hope you didnt tell Hunkins that the Laguna project sucks.Cause its the only magazine that have taken the 73-77 Chevelles seriously :D.

Those Challengers lookin good.And your writing is better than most of the articles i read,cause you take with you things that a journalist never mentions.
                            I think it's cool. He's taken a huge amount of flack over that car from within the company, not to mention DF's general hatred of it. Corporate guys are terrified to have such off brand project cars. Johnny has recently paid too much money for a 68 Nova to keep them happy. I personally would've told DF and the others to piss off. As much as I like DF; he's idea of what's cool is way too narrow for me.

Originally posted by antmnte
                            Nice pictures, Im jealous as I think about starting up my snowblower to clean my driveway! Nice stuff there,that dude is
                            that guy they call "chopper" or the chopper something stupid. On that show it looks like they will find any way to finance anyone anything. Id like to see one of those Challenger with a real contrasting two tone say b5 blue and white.
                            My favorite car was a Dark Blue R/T with a 6 spd. It only had a cold air kit, headers, and a cat back system. I don't think it was B-5 blue, but it was cool. The pic I took of it came out blurry.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Nice reporting Scott. Read about Migletz vette in HR a few months back, I like it...
                              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Working...
                              X