Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't work on my car, for working on friends cars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can't work on my car, for working on friends cars.

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
    Gotta disagree with you on that Mark. I've had 2-3 "dream jobs" come up and not work out for one reason or another and every single one of them, about a year or two after I would have taken it, has been whacked.

After being initially crushed about them not working and listening to my wife saying exactly what Steve said, I've come to really appreciate that saying. About once a month either she or I look back and say, "Imagine if we had done that?" Life would way different (and not in a good way).

Brian
    Flip side of that: I try to TAKE the occasional risky job every few years, knowing that it'll likely be over quickly, if the experience is worth it. I would go back and take my Spectre job all over again. Chad may or may not, though, as he was the one who had to deal with the whimsical expenses on project cars!!

My mom actually tried talking me out of taking a job at the Olympics in Atlanta. She said "You'll work there for 2 years, then you'll be out of a job and what will you do? You should stay here where it's safe" (I was working as an entry level I/T staffer at a Theme Park ROFL). Now, the experience with the Olympics is a line on the resume that gets me in the door...

I'm sure my approach would differ if I was dragging a family along on my adventures, however :-)
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
      Originally posted by urwurznitmahre
      Originally posted by White Monster
      Originally posted by Buickguy
      Dang.... WM are you upset about losing that 'vette?
      LOL !!!
      No Buickguy, but I was disappointed, but I'll get over it and there are lots of other cars out there.
      I've learned over time, that things usually happen for a reason and something better will come along.
      Life is good, and I try to enjoy what I got !
      ;D
      Gotta disagree with you on that Mark. I've had 2-3 "dream jobs" come up and not work out for one reason or another and every single one of them, about a year or two after I would have taken it, has been whacked.

After being initially crushed about them not working and listening to my wife saying exactly what Steve said, I've come to really appreciate that saying. About once a month either she or I look back and say, "Imagine if we had done that?" Life would way different (and not in a good way).

Brian

and there you have it.. one of the top ten useless say'n
      (things happen for a reason)
      wasn't there a thread on those
      I was being funny..
      as someone posted a thread not to long ago about phrases like that one..

Comment

Originally posted by Loren
        A few simple rules I've learned: ...Do NOT let your wife tell her friends you know anything about cars. Unless you want a new volunteer job...
        You've been reading my mail. For several years now I've been in the habit of downplaying the car thing because of this. Not that I want to appear un-Christian by not offering to help, but because one thing frequently leads to another in amateur car repair and pretty soon the friendship is hurting
        Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

We did nine years in a townhouse complex, and I was very often the guy who fixed cars / computers / appliances / whatever. In all that time, there was only one individual who figured I should work all day for a couple of beers. Everyone else I helped (which included everything from a fan belt to a few complete engine rebuilds) was very grateful, and they would usually have us over for dinner or offer to watch our kids while we went out. The best was when I did a bunch of work on a beater Accord and the grateful family had us over for dinner and then presented us with a gift card for a local restaurant and offered to watch our kids. Times were tough for all of us in that place, and we all shared the burden as much as we could.

My personal rule was similar to the "teach a man to fish" thing. I required that the car owner hang out with me for the duration of the repair, and I handed tools and explained the process unless the job required more experienced hands. I figure that a person is a lot better off with a little basic automotive knowledge than to be at the complete mercy of a shop. Even if a person is not likely to consistently repair their own vehicle, at least they can learn the language.

Comment

Originally posted by urwurznitmahre
            and there you have it.. one of the top ten useless say'n
            (things happen for a reason)
            wasn't there a thread on those
            Mark, yes there was ... it was titled "10 Annoying Phrases That Serve No Purpose !" that I started.
            But this saying really does serve a purpose - it makes me feel better about things that happen to me that discourage, depress or hurt me. It can also be said to others and make them think about it in a more philosophical manner, and help them through the issue.
            ;)

Comment

Oh man do I feel your pain...

Saturday was spent working on a friends F-150 outside,
              in the morning, and an inlaws fuel pump on a 98 Cavalier
              in the afternoon.

Brrr...

Comment

Two things i have say here.One is there are jobs and then there are careers. So info and experience are well the job but in the future of the job becomes the career.Can never have enough experience. Secondly if your not getting paided to fix other peoples stuff just work on your own stuff because there isnt enough hours in the day to do it all.Plus you will never see your own projects done.Only gets done if you actually work on them.

Comment

Derrick, I understand all about helping out the neighbors. It's nice to see that group of people helping each other out. When I work on Bill's 73 Monte, I charge much less for my work. $100 labor for replacing the oil pan, gasket, and pump. It was an all day job, but Bill cooks for me. Gives me food too. He's also on a fixed income, so I don't feel right charging full rights. He tells me I should charge him more, but I refuse.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Guys you dont have to make big money doing side work. But a little beer money and a occasional lunch would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Weldangrind
                      We did nine years in a townhouse complex, and I was very often the guy who fixed cars / computers / appliances / whatever. In all that time, there was only one individual who figured I should work all day for a couple of beers. Everyone else I helped (which included everything from a fan belt to a few complete engine rebuilds) was very grateful, and they would usually have us over for dinner or offer to watch our kids while we went out. The best was when I did a bunch of work on a beater Accord and the grateful family had us over for dinner and then presented us with a gift card for a local restaurant and offered to watch our kids. Times were tough for all of us in that place, and we all shared the burden as much as we could.

My personal rule was similar to the "teach a man to fish" thing. I required that the car owner hang out with me for the duration of the repair, and I handed tools and explained the process unless the job required more experienced hands. I figure that a person is a lot better off with a little basic automotive knowledge than to be at the complete mercy of a shop. Even if a person is not likely to consistently repair their own vehicle, at least they can learn the language.
                      If only I had of learned this rule earlier in life. I currently pratice it, if the needy person is able to do the work I offer up the shop and tools and my instruction. Like you I'll step in with something hard or delicate as long as they are at least willing to help.

I'd say I have averaged about 50%-50% ......meaning 50% just users and 50% that needed help and gladly repaid the favor or I feel will if they have the opportunity.

The worst ones are when you work on something, only as a favor, and two days later something totally unrelated fails. Guess who gets the blame ? I relined an elderly neighbors brakes that needed the help. About a week later a fuel pump failed. Her whole family blamed me because the car doesn't run now. ( No, but it stops damn good ! )

I still sometimes fall into the "Volunteer Trap". I go ahead and do it or run away from it on a case by case basis, after carefully considering the circumstances and individual(s) it involves.

The thing that always gets to me is that I can't help but remember all the people who have helped me out over the years when I truly needed it. I hope I have balanced the scales a little so far.

Comment

Well, Mindy's family are all mechanically challenged.

That leaves me out in the cold
                        working on their stuff...sometimes.

But they usually pay, sometimes ok,
                        sometimes not, but they are loyal.

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
                          Couple of questions;

Do they offer to help with the work or pay you for your time, or do they just drop it off expecting you to drop everything and do their sh!t for free ?

If they are clueless and more of a liability than help, do they offer to help you with something they are good with ?

If they are true friends, they will do one or the other without being asked or prompted.
                          Otherwise they are just "users" and you are better off without their "friendship" !!

Good luck.
                          ;)
                          Yes they offer to help and yes they are clueless. They tend to attempt to tackle projects that are way over their head. If I don't help initially then It will be more work for me in the long run. In their defense, they would do ANYTHING for me if i asked them, which I never do. They do not offer to pay me and if they did I would decline. Not into imports, but have two neighbors with very nice stuff. Neither of these neighbors can use an Ohm meter or have ever owned or used a torque wrench. You do the math. I guess in the end I am to blame. Just venting really. As far as side jobs go, I have always worked in the golf/ turf management industry, but have always supplemented my income by working on cars. I now have been lucky enough to find a job in my field that doesn't require that. My cousin, a very good mechanic, has opened his own shop near my house. Now when people or wife's friends enquire about some work on their cars, I hand them one of his cards. I keep a stack of them. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by FoFittyFoSS
                            They do not offer to pay me and if they did I would decline.

My cousin, a very good mechanic, has opened his own shop near my house. Now when people or wife's friends enquire about some work on their cars, I hand them one of his cards. I keep a stack of them.
                            Good for you on both counts !
                            ;) ;)

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                              Originally posted by Buickguy
                              I feel your pain, for the first time since Oct. 10 I've worked on my studebaker (for 10 minutes) in between helping others on their junk. Oh well, in at least one case it's a self-preservation thing - da nephew is travelling to Colorado from Washington so if he breaks I'll be spending far more time fetching him then the time I spent on a sunday afternoon verifying the condition of his car (and yep, there were a few things that had to be done.)
                              Sounds like you are the "family car guy" - I have that going on for my whole neighborhood, but I do get return favors. Neighbor lady is a hard worker, she spent 2 whole days running a pneumatic flooring nailer in trade for me doing her timing belt on a VW Passat (yeah, whole front clip gets removed for that job!!)...

I don't always get a straight trade for the work, but I've notices that what goes around, comes back around. Plus enjoy doing the maintenance and have a nice place to do it...
                              timing belts are us

Comment

Working...
                              X