Happy Anniversary - To Me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Anniversary - To Me!

Seven years ago today (12/21) at exactly 8:00 in the morning my life changed. I was OK and suddenly I WASN'T. I knew right away it was a heart attack and I was correct. We lived within sight of the University of Michigan hospital complex and the EMT's got me there quickly. Less than 2 hours from the initial pain the stents were in place and the pain stopped.

It's been a long road back since but things are cruising along pretty well now. I pay a LOT more attention to the diabetes now (my major risk factor) and spend lots of time at various doctors and all seems pretty well now. Some limitations but not too bad, all in all - I have NO complaints.

I no longer take anything for granted - nor should you. Give love to those you care about - well and often. Cars are fun and my life would not be as full without them, but people are what really matter. Including you Bozos!

Dan

Re: Happy Anniversary - To Me!

well happy anniversary to you!!!
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Take care of yourself. There are many people who want you around as long as possible.

At 23 I had enough of Ulcerative Colitis and it not ever going into remission in the 8 years I had it. I was taking high doses of Prednisone (40 -60 mg a day) that entire time with effect except crazy side effects including suicidal thoughts. That reached a pinnacle point when I had my Dad's .357 in my hand pointed at my skull at 19 y/o. Life changing moment there. But, by 23 I was ready to get rid of Colitis the only way possible, having my entire colon removed. It was amazing how calm I was about the decision and during the day of the surgery. I so calm that day the doctor was arguing with the nurse whether I had been given demerol. I had to settle the argument by softly saying I had not.

8 hours later I left the surgical ward. I don't remember much about the three days I was in ICU except a sponge bath by a cute blonde Lt. Something was really different about my view of the world. I couldn't put my finger on it until I was given my medical records and read the surgical report. The surgery didn't go as well as the doctors had told my parents or me. Without going into too many gory details, I ended up with a couple cracked ribs.

The person that went into the hospital wasn't the one that came out.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Glad you came thru, Scott. You are one of the guys I HAVE to meet in the real world! Something about nearly losing it that changes your focus, ain't there?

I didn't enter all the gory details of mine either but post-op I almost died a couple of times (I'm hyper sensitive to beta blockers). Also, I'm left with 3/4 of a heart as the left outer wall is dead but stable - just along for the ride. That's where the limitations come from. But I rarely think about it - I just live my life and have all the fun I can. The new pup (Kingsford) has been a good thing as he keeps me walking.

Thanks for the kind comments.
        Dan

Comment

My grandfather had similar damage from a heart attack at age 55. That was in 1960. He lived to age 89 and was still going fishing in Canada from Missouri with his 80 something buddies until the end. His only problem was being a fan of the KC Chiefs. He had to give up his season tickets because he kept coming home with chest pains. Funny, his doctor was the one who got them. So, I'm sure you can do better.

I consider myself lucky I didn't inherit the heart problems the rest of the Liggetts have, had. My father was one year older than I am now when he a quadruple bypass.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I hope your around for a long time, Dan.

Comment

Good to hear that both of you have a handle on "life" now......keep up the good work.

My new life came on 5-26-2009 when I gave up being a cop (20 years). Too many critical incidents and the major stress (not from the bad guys n such, but politics and administration) are all behind me. I'm happier without having to put on that monkey suit every day. May God bless us all!
              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                I no longer take anything for granted - nor should you. Give love to those you care about - well and often. Cars are fun and my life would not be as full without them, but people are what really matter.
                That is great advise and I'm glad you are still around to give it to all of us that take stuff for granted !!
                ;)

Comment

Happy Anniversary to all of you - today is the first day of the rest of your life !
                  Phil / Omaha

Comment

Glad you're still with us. Happy Anniversary.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I concur, happy anniversary to you and kudos to scott! Same to bamfstr, I did my 30 years and at the commander level yes the politics were unbearable. Still miss the job but not the buloney!
                      Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

Good to have you Dan.....Take care of yourself.

Seth
                        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Dan, good stuff man. That's one hell of a story and I'm betting lots of guys don't make it out the other side near as well as you have. It's great that you're out there doing fun stuff and having a blast with life.

Well done!

Brian
                          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

happy birthday dan!!

hopefully i will meet some of you guys one day...

scott,if i ever get my azz to Cally,you will be the fisrt one i call...i got the gas money!!!!
                            "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Happy Anniversary to all you guys! Come to think of it, Reni and I have an anniversary coming up pretty quick. In another week or so, it will be 3 years since we quit smoking. Hopefully that will help avoid problems down the road.
                              I R Bob
                              You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                              2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Working...
                              X