Navigation system went wacky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navigation system went wacky

Any of you guys ever had one go wacky and just stop working? My inlaws are on their way to Florida and got stuck in VA in traffic on I95 . The cars compass (in the rearview mirror) went to CAL (calibrating) then the Garmin nav stopped working at about the same time. Is this the usual for that area for some reason? Kinda weird I think.

Re: Navigation system went wacky

One time I was driving in the summertime, and the map blew out the window!

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

It's the famous Virginia Triangle. Hundreds of cars have disappeared there without warning and were never heard from again. They were lucky to make it out alive. I'm surprised that you haven't heard about it.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
        It's the famous Virginia Triangle. Hundreds of cars have disappeared there without warning and were never heard from again. They were lucky to make it out alive. I'm surprised that you haven't heard about it.

Dan
        PEACE AT LAST !!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

The highways around here are all built to the side of the original dirt trail that's in all the road map/surveys. So while driving to and from Ely the voice GPS's will start telling you to turn right or left where there isn't any things, and in some places the intersections have been moved a few hundred feet up the road, so they'll start flipping out and "recalculating" a new route or start telling you to make a U-turn :P

Funny story from one of our Mine Managers though. Their Ford has the audio navigation and they were taking the scenic route to Ely from Las Vegas, so they were staying on Hwy 93 instead of taking SR318, it adds about an hour to the drive. Well....They are about 40 miles from Ely (roughly 250 miles from Las Vegas) and the thing looses track of where they are and can't see the road they are on or the fact it leads right to Ely and starts telling them to make a U-turn when safe, haha. It re-calculates the route back to the SR318/Hwy93 Junction 150 miles back, then back up SR318 for another 150 miles to get to Ely, haha.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
            One time I was driving in the summertime, and the map blew out the window!
            That's hilarious given the question asked, haha.

Oh yeah, also a word of note, this was still in "No Cellphone Reception" area.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Sorry I wasn't of much use. The only GPS-type device we have is OnStar and it worked fine in the Philly area which is as close as we've gotten to the area in question in a vehicle so equipped. No help at all.........

Dan

Comment

We have a Magellan unit, which works wonderful when it works. It does however go wacky on a regular basis and if we were depending on it we'd have gotten pretty lost sometimes. I wouldn't buy another one.

Comment

We borrowed the in-law's to drive from Ottawa ON back to Winnipeg via the US. When we got into New York state, we took a side trip to a little town called "Mexico." Just to be a smart-ass, I set the language to Spanish. The little box started yelling random words at us like a Mexican auctioneer. Cheapest entertainment of the entire road trip!

Comment

I had the heater core flood the passenger-side floor pan on Mugsy when I drove it home from LA, ruining my Atlas.

Vent windows, frozen pizza and the 426 Hemi--the last useful technology. Everything else is fluff that we think makes our lives easier, but really makes them more complicated.

Boy Wonder reads a helluva map, and has NEVER gotten me lost (Including navigating me home from Joplin, MO when he was 10 and bought our '62 Suburban). And since I taught him to read a map...

My dad relies on the nav system in his new car to go to the corner store now. He's come to visit me twice in the last couple years, and both times we ran over to Gainesville for dinner... it's a STRAIGHT shot over there. On the way home, he insists on going by what the nav system says.
                    The first year, it told us to take a back, round-about way that the by-pass I live off of replaced 5 years ago. It'd have added 40 minutes to a 25 minute trip. Oh, and it told him to go the wrong way on a one-way street.
                    This year, it tooks us on a scenic tour of down-town Gainesville, adding 10 minutes to a 25 minute trip.

Thanks, I'll stick with the old ways.

-Brad

Comment

Originally posted by Brad54
                      Thanks, I'll stick with the old ways.

-Brad
                      Me too. When it comes to me and cars, I hate all things automated. Especially navigation systems. Of course, they're still in their infancy, and will probably improve, but I loathe to think of a Star Wars future where we'll have no choice but to do what the computer says in the car, if we even have the ability to control it ourselves. I detest everything leading toward that. I like manual locks, windows, shifting, NO radio, etc. When it comes to maps, that's what I choose. I was teaching a girlfriend how to read a map a few years ago and it was a strange thrill to teach someone that skill. I'd learned how when I was a little kid, so it was hard for me to fathom how someone couldn't read a map, but it was rewarding to see her "get it".
                      President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

10-4 on the map reading. It's surprising how may young-uns have no clue that the map represents the roads we drive on every day.

Cool thing about OnStar is that the advisors are directing you using online maps and (usually) current traffic conditions. They DO screw up from time to time but it's rare.

I don't know if y'all heard but on the news this morning a couple up North somewhere (Oregon, I think) followed their Garmin onto an unplowed secondary road and were stuck for 3 days. They FINALLY got a cell phone call out to 911 and they got found before any permanent damage was done. Garmin issued a statement basically saying "Use your common sense".

Dan

Comment

I tell my guys "the GPS is a tool. It is not meant to replace your brain."
                          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                          X