U-Haul Ramp Over Trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U-Haul Ramp Over Trucks

Does anyone know what those U-Haul trucks with the ramp up and over the cab is technically called? I want to call it a Recovery Truck. I originally dismissed them as trailer movers used to get a few trailers back to a starting point when they all go one way till I saw a 24' box truck on top of one on the side of the road on my Christmas road trip. I wasn't going to move with the box truck on it but it made me think that it could move a car or two down the road.

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: U-Haul Ramp Over Trucks

Those are U-haul's Recovery Team transport trucks. Had to use one in '05 when our TopKick's transmission suddenly decided it didn't want it's fluid anymore outside of Phoenix. Are you trying to rent one? I'm about 95% sure they don't let those go out...
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I used to work for them years ago, they don't rent those things out
      "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

I remember seeing those now and again. The couple squashed into the passenger seat never looked happy.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vegaman
          I used to work for them years ago, they don't rent those things out
          i bet they used to until those duke boys jumped over one ;D

Comment

Could you buy one at a U-Haul auction? I know they occasionally sell off trucks.

Dan

Comment

sigpic

Comment

I see them for sale pretty regularly on craigslists around the country. Never drove one, I cannot imagine what it owuld be like with a 3500 lb car pulled over the cab in the wind though. The older ones i have seen are all based on one ton chassis and from a safety point of view, they must be pretty marginal
                67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
                05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

From the video tapes that my then-employer would not let me view, one alledgedly was used in the theft of my '86 Monte SS October 29th, 2001.

Car was later recovered and back on the road, but *insert name of religious deity* help'em if I EVER find out who it was.

More to the point of the thread, they'd make a quick'n'easy race transporter....given the opportunity, I'd buy one.

Comment

you mean like this 97 FORD F350 CAR HAULER - $6500 ?

or this CAR HAULER FOR SALE YR 2000 - $28000?

I still prefer the looks and price of this 1978 GMC 3500 Car Hauler - $3295

Comment

That just doesn't "look" safe. I guess it is/was, or Ralph Nader or somebody else would have banned them.
                      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

They don't handle that well, and aren't as aerodynamic as a tow vehicle/trailer setup.

But for a bucks-down effort, it's not a bad choice...not to mention cheaper to plate/insure one vehicle as opposed to a tow vehicle/trailer, and most of'em have built-in tool storage.

Comment

What I'm thinking of is pretty much the newer version of what BigDad posted. Just wondering if they made crewcab versions of it now.
                          Central TEXAS Sleeper
                          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

The U-Haul Ramp Over Trucks go by two names - Ramp Trucks or Service Rigs. they are generally driven by Area Field Managers (AFM) and used to transport trailers from dealer to dealer or to the repair shops. I know first hand, I m a former AFM for UHaul in Alberta Canada and I had the privilege of driving one of those bad boys all over Alberta, BC and Montana! My Rig was based on the old Ford F650. I used to say it was as if an Electric company truck mated with a car carrier.

I have seen several for sale here in Ontario. Check UHaul's website for Truck sales.

Comment

Working...
                            X