Hey, Chevy guys...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, Chevy guys...

I have a very close friend who has a 1967 Camaro RS/SS 327 4-speed convertible. The car is ice blue metallic with a white interior and a white top. Muncie M-22, 12-bolt rear and is original right down to the factory exhaust manifolds and steel wheels. This car is no cream puff, though. It has been under a tarp for 25+ years under his back porch and has not run for as long as I have known him (20+ years) It will require a complete restoration, and quite frankly, he is not in good enough health to do so.

How rare is this model of Camaro? Next, how desireable is it? I am in a bit of a pickle here as I would like to help the guy either restore it or buy it from him to help out with his medical bills, but I already have an untouched project in the garage. I don't want to see him sell the car to somebody who just wants to flip it. Know what I mean?

Ron
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Re: Hey, Chevy guys...

In my view the '1967 Camaro RS/SS is the best looking Camaro of all time.
    Much nicer than the 1968 or coveted '69 models ...

I would be interested in buying it to restore, if you need that assistance.
    Please keep me in mind.
    ;)

Comment

Vent windows !

Comment

Originally posted by NMCA_Ron
        I have a very close friend who has a 1967 Camaro RS/SS 327 4-speed convertible. The car is ice blue metallic with a white interior and a white top. Muncie M-22, 12-bolt rear and is original right down to the factory exhaust manifolds and steel wheels. This car is no cream puff, though. It has been under a tarp for 25+ years under his back porch and has not run for as long as I have known him (20+ years) It will require a complete restoration, and quite frankly, he is not in good enough health to do so.

How rare is this model of Camaro? Next, how desireable is it? I am in a bit of a pickle here as I would like to help the guy either restore it or buy it from him to help out with his medical bills, but I already have an untouched project in the garage. I don't want to see him sell the car to somebody who just wants to flip it. Know what I mean?

Ron
        go to the team camaro site and post a WIW thread..
        you'll need more info.. and a pic or two would help..
        rust? rot?
        and where.. it can be a rs/ss big block car,, with numbers matching..
        if it's gonna need every panel,
        u say sitting under porch, on dirt? under tarp/

if so. for 20+ years..it might need floors and rails..
        you'll need to take a closer look and a ton of pic's or at least.. note book ..

Comment

How rare I don't know, but plenty desirable. SS's were 350s btw, and it's probably a M21 in there (only the most hi-perf cars had 22s, generally). Check the rr end, 350s had 12-bolts, 327s were generally 10s. 350s also had the hood with the two fake vents. 327s good, SS-350 better.

Camaros made for kinda flimsy convertibles, there's actually a 25-lb dampened weight in each corner to counter body shudders. As you'd expect, there is extra bracing under the floor. Rust around the underside is a structure problem, not just cosmetic. Other rust areas are the rear quarters as usual, and the windshield header. '67s had the vent window, '68s didn't and are slightly nicer-looking with the top down because of that IMO but no big deal.

But...people spend big bucks to restore a car like that. I was building something very similar in the '80s until life took a different twist, and did a Firebird conv. for a freind back when (what a fun car when it was finished). I actually owned a '68 400/4spd ragtop 'bird a couple years ago but needed the bucks and handed it along (kinda wish I hadn't). Unlike some collector cars, an F-body convertible is genuinely enjoyable to drive, they handle decent and are a nice size.

I would jump all over that thing.

Comment

Loren,

Thanks for the info. He swears its a 327 and the original engine, but I don't have enough Chevy smarts to tell the difference externally. It does have the vent-type hood. I will check the rear end again, but he has told me on several occasions it is a 12-bolt with 4.10 gears. I need to wait for the snow to melt off a bit to check on it but I will try to take some pics.

This thing is going to have major floor rot as the wheels have sunk into the dirt. Floor pans and trunk floor for sure.

Ron
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

This thing is going to have major floor rot as the wheels have sunk into the dirt. Floor pans and trunk floor for sure.
              Ouch. Rust repair sucks.

I'm sure people will step up with lots more info. Every little detail on that car will be interesting to many Camaro guys. Original cars like that are very unusual, hacked/pieced together stuff is more common.

I don't know if there are any external differences at all between the 327 and 350, btw. Block/bore, heads, accesories all the same, only the stroke is a bit longer. In '67, the 350 was a special SS Camaro-only deal.

Comment

If it's a #'s matching convertible it's worth some money, how much? IDK. If the price is right, or he's going to redo it as to have a nice car/hotrod, there are tons of aftermarket quality parts available to do it right. It won't be quick or necessarily cheap, but IMO definitely worth it to save.

Then again, we could always turn it into a nasty fastest street car deal......when in doubt, cut it up!
                Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Loren
                  How rare I don't know, but plenty desirable. SS's were 350s btw, and it's probably a M21 in there (only the most hi-perf cars had 22s, generally). Check the rr end, 350s had 12-bolts, 327s were generally 10s. 350s also had the hood with the two fake vents. 327s good, SS-350 better.

Camaros made for kinda flimsy convertibles, there's actually a 25-lb dampened weight in each corner to counter body shudders. As you'd expect, there is extra bracing under the floor. Rust around the underside is a structure problem, not just cosmetic. Other rust areas are the rear quarters as usual, and the windshield header. '67s had the vent window, '68s didn't and are slightly nicer-looking with the top down because of that IMO but no big deal.

But...people spend big bucks to restore a car like that. I was building something very similar in the '80s until life took a different twist, and did a Firebird conv. for a freind back when (what a fun car when it was finished). I actually owned a '68 400/4spd ragtop 'bird a couple years ago but needed the bucks and handed it along (kinda wish I hadn't). Unlike some collector cars, an F-body convertible is genuinely enjoyable to drive, they handle decent and are a nice size.

I would jump all over that thing.

I just heard of those hoods being described as "ice cube trays" on a Mecum auction show on Speed the other day. And the DZ block stamp you mentioned in another post is interesting info too - thanks Loren.
                  Phil / Omaha

Comment

post pics
                    The youngest guy on the board
                    76 vega
                    86 fiero

Comment

PM sent on what NOT to do! ;)

Comment

http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml is a good place to get numbers and decoding information on the first-gen Camaro.

I happen to own Camaros, and lots of Camaro parts, so I'm very familiar with these.

If it's a '67 Convertible with a 327 stock, it will have the following VIN 12467 and then the letter N or L followed by the actual production number. The 4 stands for V8 and the 67 is Convertible.

If it really is a 327, the engine code will be MK if it has smog, and ML if it does not. This would be for the 275 horse 327 that would have come in an SS car. Personally, I would rather have the 327. It was a better engine than the 295 horse 350 of the same year. I own 3 complete stock eliminator versions of this 327 and they are way good.

Look at the numbers on this site and do some checking. You'll be able to find all the details you need. The Cowl Tag that is referred to is located near the master cylinder, on the firewall.
                        "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

I have a very close friend who has a 1967 Camaro RS/SS 327 4-speed convertible. Muncie M-22, 12-bolt rear and is original right down to the factory exhaust manifolds and steel wheels.

How rare is this model of Camaro? Next, how desireable is it? or buy it from him to help out with his medical bills, but I already have an untouched project in the garage. I don't want to see him sell the car to somebody who just wants to flip it. Know what I mean?

Ron
                          Oh come on, stab me with an ice pick while your at it!!!

Comment

my buddy billy has a 67 rs/ss convert 327/4 speed black with red interior was butter nut yellow with black intrior when new he is second owner first owner raced it from day one it still has the 1970 empire class winner sticker on the drivers quartewr window

when it was painted it was done in lacquar and in the day i quessed it looked great now it is a gaint spider web but other then that and two lil tairs in the roof from being down all the time it is AWSOME I want that car drop top first gen with a stick mmmmmmm yummy

I went through the drive line on his a few years ago after it had been parked for 15 years for his wedding even with the cracks in the paint I love that car!!!!

Comment

are weddings some sort of special occasion ? could have fooled me
                              the floors are super available and good practice for a future welding vocation
                              converts are the one body style that is worth so much more bone stock

Comment

Working...
                              X