Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommened race day hearing protection ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommened race day hearing protection ?

My hearing is beat enough already

What is the best spectator hearing protection you would recommend ?

TIA

Re: Recommened race day hearing protection ?

A pair of ear plugs should be adequate... You may want to try a couple different styles (barrel shaped, tapered) to see which are more comfortable. Some hardware stores carry them and if you have a Harbor Freight store near you they have a aisle with safety wear, most drugstores have them too. I only wear my headset style protection when I plan on running loud tools for a period of time in close proximity.

Comment

walmart carries them too, in the hunting section.

Comment

i use the same muffs that i go to the gun range with. any good plug or muff should be fine.

Comment

2 fingers in the ears with nitro , top alcohol cars with hi helix superchargers are brutal with high pitched whine

Comment

I use my muffs at the strip. At Maxton, the noise doesn't seem too bad, probably because we are a distance from the track. When I'm working the line, I need to remember my muffs, because some of the cars are REALLY loud when they fire up right next to you. I already have high frequency hearing loss from playing rock & roll, so I don't need to add to it.

Dan

Comment

any should be sufficient, but it needs to Used to be effective. TOP Fuel is a different story, and as good as you can afford, should be used. Children should Never be close to the starting line, but have seen times when the parents didn't have a second thought.

Comment

What?

Comment

Ditto on that one. You can get right next to the line at most of our little tracks in NC. I was at the dragstrip in Jacksonville, NC a couple of years ago and I couldn't believe that parents were letting their kids stand right there with no protection for hearing, not to mention no real protection from a crash! I suggested to one of the dads that he give the kids some muffs or plugs, and he told me that his kid was "immune" to the noise. I had to walk away to keep from calling the authorities - maybe I should have. Are people really THAT stupid?

Dan

Originally posted by PYSCHOWard
                  Children should Never be close to the starting line, but have seen times when the parents didn't have a second thought.

Comment

I frequently go to the NHRA Winternationals and Finals, and am amazed by the number of folks who don't wear protection. I didn't either when I was younger and naive. About 15 years ago, I developed tinnitus. I learned the hard way... you should ALWAYS wear hearing protection when you're anywhere near a vehicle that's got some serious juice under the hood.

Be smart. At minimum, get some plugs.
                    Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Here ya go!

Comment

I lost a lot of hearing as a kid with 2 stroke racing go Karts, If you are worried about it, the safest thing is foam inserts, with the muffs over the top. At the Bristol night race, I had to have my scanner up all the way, with the foam ear inserts and muffs on, I could hardly hear the scanner, it was worse than any fuel car for 4 hours straight. COOL, I could hear ok after a couple of days.
                        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Earplugs come in different ratings. Get 29s or higher.
                          Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Working...
                          X