The GreenRod Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GreenRod Project

We need the crack team of BangShift investigative reporters to fill the void here. This SEMA article raises as many questions as it answers ... at least for those of us outside CA. What years does this apply to? What constitutes a bogus title? Will all hot rods soon need to have a government approved engine? Sheesh! Great fodder for haters of Big Gov't. and conspiracy theorists.

Re: The GreenRod Project

Pretty sure we hashed this over a while back. Not sure how to search for the thread but it might be worth your while.

WELCOME to the Loony Bin! Always good to "see" and new "face" on here (or a new set of typing fingers). Have fun and keep it clean - we have a wonderful 13 year old girl on regularly and I stifle myself accordingly. And some other ladies as well. Be sure to go to the biography section (a sticky under "General") and tell us a bit about yourself, and add your location to the "Members on a Map" sticky.

Dan

Comment

This is a California thing, although I suppose other states could take notice as well, and all stems from attention being given to builders like Boyd Coddington who were charging tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars to build cars that were then registered as $20k cars, or were not equipped with "legal" engines. Boyd's was raided due to this, and it became a huge issue here in California.

Basically, you can't lie and say your car is worth $5k just because it's old. They are paying attention. You also can't put a 632 in your '75 Camaro even though there is no smog inspection on it here in Cali. It is still illegal to remove any emission control parts, or do engine swaps, even if the car does not get inspected. SEMA and GM have come together with CARB to make engine packages available that meet or exceed all emissions regulations for OBD1 and older vehicles. These E-Rod Engine packages are available from your local dealer in various configurations. In addition, several GM crate engines are legal as replacements for your original engine as long as you use your original emissions equipment or CARB legal replacements.

"A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Another reason I'm glad I don't live in California ...
        Shesh !!!
        :P

Comment

so even non emmission checked cars have to have to use an approved
          engine ??? how old do they have to be to be completely
          off the emmission radar??????
          COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

I thought this was the same thing with the Jessie James bust - that Jessie James (and the others) were building new bikes, but registering them as old bikes to avoid the various safety laws and such required of new bikes.

In this instance California is getting wise to the guy who builds a new roadster from new parts but then registers it as a old like 1932 car..... the press on this started with GM's announcement of their Ecrate motors that would comply with smog laws to allow these "old" cars to be compliant with the law..... so it's nothing terribly new - people will do the same thing as the guy with the turbine powered VW bug, keep it in their garage and only bring it out when the proverbial coast is clear.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman71
              so even non emmission checked cars have to have to use an approved
              engine ??? how old do they have to be to be completely
              off the emmission radar??????
              The law in Cali used to be anything older than '66 was completely clear of any smog issues. I bought a '66 Mustang that had all the add on Cali only smog equipment on it when I bought it 9 years ago. Ripped it all of post haste.
              Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

What's going on is title laundering and tax evasion.

In title laundering, guys are doing one of two things: 1) Buying titles from out of state, then claiming their fiberglass hot rod to be a real '32 Ford, or 2) Registering a car in a lax state like Alabama who will title a car as whatever you say it is, and then bringing the car to California and getting it registered as a '32 Ford using the Alabama title. In this case, California feels that the car is actually a 2010 homebuilt model that needs to pass smog, and people are evading that by calling it an older car.

The tax evasion comes when guys build all-new hot rods with aftermarket parts, then claim the car is only worth $10,000 instead of $100,000 to avoid paying the sales tax to the state.

According to SEMA, 17 states currently have California-like car emissions laws, an more are coming. It will be in your home town eventually.

The E-Rod does two things. 1) It can be installed in any pre-OBDII vehicle and be emissions legal; the E-Rod does not have an EO number, but is a stand-alone emissions package with regulations on tailpipe output, evap output, and component compliance. 2) Builders who are making new '32 Fords, or kit cars, or whatever in 2010 and beyond will be able to register thier cars legally as 2010 models, rather than title laundering, and will be able to meet emissions rules with the E-Rod. Those same cars do not have to pass federal safety regs since they are considered homebuilt vehicles and not manufactured vehicles. At least for now.

There ya go. Read about it in HOT ROD.

Comment

if only they could tax illegal aliens and leave me alone

Comment

NYS has cali emissions - but really in the metropolitan area =7 counties around nyc
                    on new cars upstate they have im 240 obd2 scans but no dynos
                    or drive without a sticker - hee hee - cheaper than buying a new cat converter for mommy's car

Comment

Around here, as long as the engine your putting in is the same year or newer than the body and retains all emissions equip for the year of the body, you're golden. If you get collector plates, only an initial e test is required as long as you own it....
                      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

florida plates on my car = no inspections in florida , and in jersey , I am not alone with running florida plates

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                          florida plates on my car = no inspections in florida , and in jersey , I am not alone with running florida plates
                          A few years back, the powers that be in CO decided that if you register your vehicle some place other than YOUR primary residence/business to circumvent emissions and or taxes, you can be charged with a class 6 felony....what a bunch of Adam Henrys!

Comment

I just say it's my mom's car
                            my fuel pump puked on my grand prix - borrowed the cavalier in 2003 , put 130,000 miles on it , still a borrowed car

Comment

I hear ya.....and I don't agree with the commies that wrote the bill, .....just sayin'....

Comment

Working...
                              X