Waterfowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterfowl

I know this is a car guy forum but, if it interests me it might interest someone else too. Anyone do any duck or goose hunting? I'm just gettin started and am open to all the advice I can get.

My first duck.
    Dustin in Pennsylvania

Re: Waterfowl

First thing, that duck under the guns looks dead.

Second, I didn't have to hunt geese, they were already there - Canada Geese on the lake at our house back in SC - the nastiest bastards that ever lived. And I found out that it does no good to chase them. I know first hand where the phrase "like a wild goose chase" came from. I've done it - that's a good phrase that means nothing to anybody who hasn't done it.

But seriously, good luck with the hunting. Lots and lots of guys here in TN are into hunting ducks and deer and especially wild turkeys. Now, THERE's a challenge, from what I hear.

Try this - How about let the ducks live, heck even FEED em from the shore, and then kill ALL of the geese. Kill em slow. Make them feel the pain.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Haha, the problem with my area is hardly anywhere birds like to be is public land. So first I've gotta find birds, then get permission to hunt them. I've been trying to get on some geese as most people around here feel the same as you about them but no dice so far. Ducks taste just too good to let them all go.
      Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Peewee, methinks you may have underlying issues relating to geese.

;D

Ron

Oh... I am not much of a duck or goose hunter. Too freakin' cold for me. I like doves in the fall and an occasional quail hunt, but cold weather does nothing for me.
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

YES I DO, Ron. I'm trying to find a photo. I'm sure I'll have to re-write the story, if anybody's interested.

Comment

I can't find the photo. It was a photo of a radio controlled boat and about ten pounds of firecrackers I thought I was going to use to harass the geese into just leaving the lake. All the neighbors were in favor of it. I announced it and they all came out in their back yards to watch.

I wish somebody had a video camera. It had to be hilarious for them, and the worse it got for me, the more pissed off I got, and....

Canada Geese are the worst thing you can imagine if you live on the water and they are there. The worst. Sometimes driving around all over I see plastic fake ones in peoples' yards - oh aren't they pretty? It makes me want to knock on their door and just say, "Are you people out of your minds??? Do you KNOW what you're advertising here?"

No, they dont.

Comment

You got a problem with "goose grease", Peewee? Our little dog years ago thought that was the BEST stuff to roll in. I'm not sure we EVER got it off her and I suspect there were traces when she died years later.

The right thing to do with fowl is shoot 'em thru windshields, isn't it? Like Mythbusters. They used chickens but I think they couldn't find proper ammo.

Dad used to bring home all the pheasants he could carry from Peelee Island, Ontario, which were yummy. I'm not a hunter and I don't remember him bagging ducks or geese.

Dan

Comment

Everybody in the neighborhood, we'da just shot and killed them all, but it's against the law - a "protected" species.

In the South, almost every body of water is infected with them. They used to migrate, but they get to a warm spot and just decide "this is nice - we'll just stay here year-round."

And the goose grease you're talking about is not even goose grease.

One time I was invited to a fancy restaurant on a business trip and since I was not paying, I tried the duck. Oh yeah, the best thing I've ever tasted. I thought about that for a couple of years, how good that was.

So during the holidays one years I decided I want a duck. I shopped all over and nobody had a duck, but one store did have a goose. I brought it home, figuring that must be close enough.

To smoke it, it says to cook it for about an hour and then poke it all over with a fork. At that point, I did notice that it looked like 15,000-mile-used-Quaker State 30 weight was oozing out of every little hole. No worries. I've still got some beer left.

Cooked it the rest of the way. Got it off, carved it, ate it....well, it was so-so. All dark, a little chewy, definitely not a duck by any stretch....won't do it again, though - too much work.

And then I went to clean the smoker the next day. That drip pan....I had the dry heaves just pouring it out.

Comment

I hear ya on the goose grease PW, it is pretty nasty. I make sure to soak geese for a while in some brine before cooking them. Draws a lot of the blood out and makes the taste milder. But man oh man do I love some duck.
                  Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Working...
                  X