What I did on Christmas Vacation....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I did on Christmas Vacation....

I hope everyone had a Happy Holidays. My holidays were made happier by tearing into an old engine! ;D What you see here is the inspection of an I-6 out of a 1941 International Harverster K-2 3/4 ton truck. My father-in-law pulled the drivetrain out of it about 7 years ago to start the restoration process. It had been sitting in his garage ever since. I've been bugging him for years to do something with this motor, so I bought him an engine stand for a Christmas present, and that finally got him moving. I'll let the pics tell the rest...

Here's a pic of the engine in question.

This engine is part of the "Green Diamond" family of engines. 214 cubes, 6.3:1 compression, 82 hp at 3400 RPM (the engine manual says not to take it over 3400 RPM for extended periods), and 160 lb-ft of torque at 1200 RPM. Believe it or not, it is supposed to idle at 350 RPM. She weighs in at a svelte 600 pounds. A performance engine it is not.

Here's a pic of an awesome engine hoist! Need a hoist to pull an engine at the local Pick and Pull?? Just pull this one behind your truck! ;)

And here's my father-in-law's new Christmas gift.

Piston and valves.

Top side of head.

Bottom side of head.

Combustion Chamber

Inside the bottom of the engine.

Frozen water in the bottom of the oil pan.

Cotter pin retainers for piston rod nuts.

Piston rod journal. Looks good.

Rod cap and bearing. Again, looks good.

Main bearing journal.

Main cap and bearing.

Some writing on the piston after I cleaned some carbon off. His old IHC parts book denotes this as a .040 over piston. You can punch it out to .060 over, but you have to resleeve it if it needs any more boring than that.

Here's what it looks like after you pop it out of the engine.

The transmission.

Input shaft and beefy rod the throw-out bearing rides on.

Gooey goodness inside the transmission.

My father-in-law, Barry.

And your intrepid reporter.

His entire rebuild plans are to re-ring the engine, replace some gaskets and freeze plugs, and repaint it. I told him he might want to get the bastard hot tanked considering all the rust in the water passages, but he says he's going to "flush it out himself". Hey, it's his engine. If I get that 47 KB-2 from him (he says I can have it after he redoes the 41), this iron bastard is coming out and staying out. I'm thinking a 250 GM straight six, or a Ford 300 would do alot better.

Re: What I did on Christmas Vacation....

Shannon, great stuff. That is one NEAT old motor. As much as I love big HP stuff, I have more and more of a fondness for these old working engines that just grunted out their 80-100hp for hours on end chuffing away in trucks and other working vehicles.

KILLER!

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

80-100hp? You must be playng with some new stuff, my F12 Farmall and then my JD B weren't anywhere near that. LOL

Nik

My F12 was on full steel and the whole tractor would twist going over the rows. Gawd I miss that little tractor........

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
      Shannon, great stuff. That is one NEAT old motor. As much as I love big HP stuff, I have more and more of a fondness for these old working engines that just grunted out their 80-100hp for hours on end chuffing away in trucks and other working vehicles.

KILLER!

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
        That is one NEAT old motor.
        I thought so too. This is the first pre-war engine I've ever worked on. They knew how to build them back in the day.

Comment

The advances in technology could really benefit that old flattie......hell, modern lubricants could easily free up HP!

Actually looks pretty good inside that engine, considering the age and all.

I'm with you on the hot-tank thought.....would be worth the $$$ to rid the block of all the crud in the passages.

BTW, PM me w/your number, I lost it....a junkyard crawl is sounding better all the time.

Smoke

Comment

PM sent. ;)

Comment

Expect your phone to ring in a few moments.

;D

Comment

Ah! Inline-y goodness :D. I'm with "Big Head",the High-HP stuff is alway's great,but,it's also good to have a look-see at the guts of a workin' stiff Engine. ~J/W.

Comment

Working...
                X