Subaru Legacy Outback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Subaru Legacy Outback

don't forget the requisite Thule ski/snowboard/bike rack on top...
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

[quote=bnjny ]
      Seems except for Dieselgeek, nobody else has a clue...

If it had been dealer maintained the first part of it's life it should be fine

Originally posted by 67prostreet
      I remember working at my now father-in-laws machine shop years ago. I did most of the head work. The Subaru dealer was always bring in heads with burnt valves and sucked in valves, cracks between the valve seats and so on. At one point they just started bring in new heads for assembly and replaced them as part of a major service and tune up.

Comment

Originally posted by bnjny
        Seems except for Dieselgeek, nobody else has a clue...

The boxer engine of that vintage is ok... If it had been dealer maintained the first part of it's life it should be fine as the head gasket, if a problem, was repaired...

I know of many of the these cars going over 300k when well maintained... The AWD system works well with few if any hicups... I would recommend making sure the trans fluid is freshened as needed and make sure the timing belts are changed as prescribed... Go over it like any other used car... I think as a DD these things are great...

It sounds like the car has been well maintained, so the new owner should be fine, especially as a DD...

BTW, it was AMC who copied Subaru, not the other way around as Subaru offered part time 4wd on a few models dating back to the mid to late 70's...

Hey Spidey, no left wing stickers on my wagon... Just a sticker that said you got beat by one. ;)

Too bad the kid I sold it to totaled it... :-[
        briggs and stattons can out 60 foot my cavalier racer robby
        in my old dealer group - the "hi performance: subaru store was always the lowest performance store - people don't like them - keep your oil leaking subaru out of my driveway rice boy - thank you for for helping more Americans lose their jobs

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
          people don't like them
          Oh ok, if you say so.

My aunt has owned nothing but Subarus since the early 1980s and aside from the first two rotting out after rolling up 200K miles, she has had no issues at all. She currently has a Legacy wagon and has had it for a few years. She keeps up on the maintenance and has had no problems to speak of.

A large percentage of their sales come from New England for obvious climatic reasons.

People "don't like them" so much that they are having the best North American sales year in the company's history in 2009.

Brian
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I harp on anyone up here that drive a foreign car except for Subaru owners, since never has been an American equivilant to them. And spidey is dead nuts on about the oil leaks, this sucker oils soaked on the bottom side. Mike wouldn't be caught dead with left wing stickers on his hatch. 18 years active duty Air Force, and 5+ years in the national guard with one tour in Iraq. That is why 90% of the work I do for his family is pro bono.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
              Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
              people don't like them
              Oh ok, if you say so.

My aunt has owned nothing but Subarus since the early 1980s and aside from the first two rotting out after rolling up 200K miles, she has had no issues at all. She currently has a Legacy wagon and has had it for a few years. She keeps up on the maintenance and has had no problems to speak of.

A large percentage of their sales come from New England for obvious climatic reasons.

People "don't like them" so much that they are having the best North American sales year in the company's history in 2009.

Brian
              looking at the sales figures say MOST American chose to go elsewhere

Comment

full disclosure - the only thing that keeps my wallet full is leaky 3.4/3.1 chevy leekers - happy new year to y'all

Comment

subbie sold 400 more cars than VW ytd

Comment

The boxer engine design is great for an air cooled airplane. Not so much for an overhead cam water cooled car engine. But what do I know...I'm just an engineer....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

In all fairness, if I had to own an import, it'd be a subaru but not a wagon.....probably a wry sti. To me the have more potential than honda/toyota/nissan

Comment

This is from my own observations but my friends shop and its prettty busy, looks like
                        a Subaru dealer sometimes there is so many there for stuff.He likes em and they help
                        him drive a ZO6.I think I would buy one if I had to have a foriegn car because they are kinda different
                        and another friend has 2 wrx and he loves them they are the 3rd and 4th ones hes owned too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
                          In all fairness, if I had to own an import, it'd be a subaru but not a wagon.....probably a wry sti. To me the have more potential than honda/toyota/nissan
                          honda, toyota and nissan make some pretty good motors ;)

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss
                            Originally posted by Bamfster
                            honda, toyota and nissan make some pretty good motors ;)
                            Yea they do, but all the ones at the track here are lucky to run 16s. On the other hand, dam near all of the subbies are in the 12 - 13 range so IDK.

Comment

what happens to the subbie - sans turbo ?
                              fair question as I am big fan of frank aragona's f/ea subaru 23 t altered

Comment

LMAO at some of the rhetoric...

Look, some of the 'engineers' and 'experts' are the same ones that were 'sharing' their 'knowledge' in a post a while back on HRM...

BTW, here is a little 'knowledge' for some of you:

Subaru builds cars here in the USA. Unlike GM, Canada much?

Subaru is one of the makes where it showed growth in sales for the year.

As a long time fan and owner, I can tell you that the models I owned never shot out spark plugs, ate headgaskets, or any of the other nonsense that has been presented in this thread. Every brand and make has their idiocyncrocies...

The GM 60 degree V6 motors are a vacum nightmare, the new 3.6 V6 is great with power, but not so great on the warranty...

Do we need to talk about Chrysler? Ford has some bright spots, but not many...

As a GM guy (yes, I consider myself a GM guy), I think the good stuff from Gm has long past... It will take a lot for me to want to buy anything new from GM again...

As to the boxer engine being water cooled and not that great... Talk to Porsche about that, maybe you guys can 'help' them with their 'problem', lol! All I know is my WRX with 17 psi ran just fine for over 43k DD miles and would have kept going if the kid I sold it to did not total it...

Just to spice it up a little, what did I replace the Subaru with? ;D

69k original miles two PCA owner, with all the paperwork from day one. Please share with me the 'expert knowledge' about how this is an unreliable car... I need a good laugh... Let the expert BS begin, lol...

Comment

Working...
                                X