Re: Subaru Legacy Outback

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
      Originally posted by Bamfster
      Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
      Originally posted by 98ciHemi
      Shooting spark plugs? ???
      fords mod motors also offer this feature at no extra cost
      ford had a better idea....
      CC's McGann had that happen on his Crown Vic. The dealer we take our fleet of Towncars to said he'd never heard of it happening on a 4.6. Mostly, truck 5.4's that shoot plugs out along with the threads. Dealer quoted me $3200 to fix it.
      3200????
      I had one blow out in boofoo Iowa and the dealer there charged me $300 to fix it. ???
      I R Bob
      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning
        Originally posted by Rebeldryver
        Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
        Originally posted by 98ciHemi
        Shooting spark plugs? ???
        fords mod motors also offer this feature at no extra cost
        ford had a better idea....
        CC's McGann had that happen on his Crown Vic. The dealer we take our fleet of Towncars to said he'd never heard of it happening on a 4.6. Mostly, truck 5.4's that shoot plugs out along with the threads. Dealer quoted me $3200 to fix it.
        3200????
        I had one blow out in boofoo Iowa and the dealer there charged me $300 to fix it. ???
        Wow, my neighbor's Expedition blew one out and we fixed it in about a half hour with a $20 kit from the auto parts store, a kit that they keep on stock... Maybe we should be charging more...

Oh, and on the Subaru's, if it is a 2.5 they do like to pop headgaskets, but with that mileage either it is a 2.2 or it has already been fixed. No worries either way...

My ex girlfriend bought a '99 Outback SUS (non-hatch sedan) while we were dating. Great car, well built, solid and drove nice. It only had 47K on it, but it leaked oil like a sieve. I resealed the oil pan replaced axleshaft seals on the transfer case, and put a front main in it. The front main was cracked into 4 pieces when I took it out. The rear main badly needed replaced when we broke up (whew... close one).

They are great cars, and here in Western Pa where we have snow and hills, they are VERY useful. Not much that compared to them back in the '90s. But if buying new now, personally I would look at some of the domestics. Ford, for example, offers the Fusion in AWD, and, it is beating Toyota and Honda in quality and reliability. No reason we can't have faith in domestic products.

Sorry 98ciHEMI for getting more off topic, sounds like your friend has a decent car. Keep up the good work!
        Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Probably should be. ;) Mine was in the middle of PT so I was in a time crunch. And $100 of that was the coil that broke when the plug blew out.
          I R Bob
          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Probably should be. ;) Mine was in the middle of PT so I was in a time crunch. And $100 of that was the coil that broke when the plug blew out.
            On your Lightning I assume?
            Still plays with trucks....

Comment

I see many Sub's go through the auction,
              no repo's, mostly older, high milage units.

On average, they will have over 100k and show
              no real signs of leakage, or major issues.

I've run into no real head gasket issues in
              almost a decade with these motors.
              Well built, useful, but not necessarily the best
              looking, IMO.

On the Ford 4.6/5.4---as stated, it is an issue,
              but can be resolved for an hour of labor,
              and about $20-25.

Now, stay on topic.

Comment

Originally posted by ford141
                On your Lightning I assume?
                You are correct.
                I R Bob

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss
                  In all fairness, if I had to own an import, it'd be a subaru but not a wagon.....probably a wry sti. To me the have more potential than honda/toyota/nissan
                  honda, toyota and nissan make some pretty good motors ;)
                  Yea they do, but all the ones at the track here are lucky to run 16s. On the other hand, dam near all of the subbies are in the 12 - 13 range so IDK.

Comment

Didn't say it can't be done, just all the honda/toyota/nissan cars around here only run in the 16s....a few dip into the 15s, whereas dam near evey subbie on any given night is consistently in the 13s with a few hitting the 12s. In my conversations with the subaru guys (idk if they downplay their mods) most of them are relatively stock.
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Suburu WRX Pulls Out A Semi Truck
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTmQtOwUJ2w :o

Comment

My neighbor has an '04 WRX with some well though out mods removed 3 of the 4 cats, different tuning tubular sways, etc, not just boy ricer intake tubes and fart cans. That car was enough fun for him to buy a '00 Impreza RS and an STi drivetrain. The '00 is still under the knife but the build quality in the '04 is far beyond what I've seen from newer Chevy stuff. It's also a hell of a lot of fun to drive, and boost lag isn't too bad either. It also sounds pretty bitchin if you ask me.
                        Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Those turbo'd subbies do have a nice throaty exhaust note to them....
                          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Working...
                          X