Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules Are Rules

The Good news:
    It was a normal day in Sharon Springs, KS when a Union Pacific crew boarded a loaded coal train for the long trek to Salina

The Bad news:
    Just a few miles into the trip a wheel bearing became overheated and melted, letting a metal support drop down and grind on the rail, creating white hot molten metal droppings spewing down to the rail

The Good news:
    A very alert crew noticed smoke about halfway back in the train and immediately stopped the train in compliance with the rules

The Bad news:
    The train stopped with the hot wheel over a wooden bridge with creosote ties and trusses (In defense of the crew, according to Sixgun Jr., the crew tried to 'splain to higher-ups but were instructed not to move the damn train!)

RULES ARE RULES!
    Don't let common sense get in the way of a good disaster!
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Re: Rules Are Rules

Happened on the 18th of April 2002. :P

Yesterday I just saw a program on Discovery about a similar bridge burning down to the ground. Only this one was about a mile long I recall.
    Local residents came upto the scene with lawnchairs and beverages to view the spectacle.
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Yeah, I remember that.
      Really put a kink in the cross-country train traffic while an all new concrete & steel bridge was built.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

You seldom see Roller Bearings going up in Flames like that,Friction Bearings,on the other Hand,failed a bit more often. One of the few places you'll see old Freight Cars with Friction Bearings is the Landlord's #1 Yard,LOTS of old Railroad stuff in there,just don't touch ;D! ~J/W.

Comment

I'm still stuck on the title of the email which I reconstructed here.....Rules Are Rules. That might be worth another thread. Boy, rules really piss me off when they defy logic in a special case.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

That one could qualify as a RETRO "Friday Excuse to Go Home and Drink".

Comment

Working...
            X