Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by bjohn; February 10, 2024, 11:28 AM.

Re: That guy...

I had an 86 celica supra, but it had the six, but no turbo. Quick, sure, and it handled like it was on rails, but the MR2 was a complete other animal. I remember that these were V 6 with turbo and twin turbo versions, and even supercharged models. There were a bunch of those around, but they are a hell of alot more car than the celica, or even the newer full on supra is. The MR2 was killing Vettes, Rx7s, and even the occasional 300Z.
    I know that my ass got handed to me by a smoking and oil burning twin turbo MR2 a couple of times already and my litle Eclipse was in really good form, she just didn't have any more top end, I had it wound up to 8500 and we just wouldn't go any damned faster, top speed 140. That little Toyota was so fast. I'd say that little Fiero killer was doing at least 170, cause it was out of sight in three seconds, on a seven mile straight stretch on the interstate. The only thing that you could see was the smoke trail and I could fainty hear the sound of those turbos singing.

I haven't seen that car in the daily commute any more, so maybe he killed it on that trip, but if he didn't, that car was way too fast for the kid that was driving it.

And just to also add in a little bit of defense for driving so fast on a paved highway, (there really is no excuse for this.)
    All this was done on a closed off, dead end stretch of unfinished interstate loop near our daily route that people use for a such a thing as this.
    when in doubt,.. throttle out

Comment

In reality, that guy from the station was talkin out of his mind. There is no room in the tiny little Rear Engined MR2 for the straight six, let alone the room for the twin turbo set up on top of that. No Go buddy.

But damn, think about how quick that could be.
      Somewhere in that 700 hp range before having to upgrade to an aftermarket ignition.
      With two seats.
      when in doubt,.. throttle out

Comment

I never cease to be amazed how confidant people can sound when they're completely full of crap.

Think of that next time you're looking for financial/medical/real-estate advice.

Comment

Why no, 7 second 1/4s are common.
          I just ran one sitting right here!!

Comment

Originally posted by ghustler
            Why no, 7 second 1/4s are common.
            I just ran one sitting right here!!
            Too slow..........beat you on a hole shot. ;D

Comment

170mph in a mr2..
              is that the tiny 2 seater

was the landing gear up.. :D

Comment

i ran 170 with my near stock honda 4 banger.... no lie, and it too was on a public road...

900rr that is ;D

Comment

I have to be a bit skeptical about these MPH claims. I've just seen SO MANY guys at Maxton telling us about how they have to tech for 200 because they've already been 190 (or 170 or whatever) on a public road and "I had to let off because I saw traffic ahead". "No S#!t, I checked it on my GPS." Yeah. We tell them to go make their licensing runs and come back for upgraded safety checks if needed. Most run an honest 150 with real clocks on a real track and come back pooping bricks.

I don't think they THINK they are lying - just that they have no real clue.

Dan

Comment

I've just seen SO MANY guys at Maxton telling us about how they have to tech for 200 because they've already been 190 (or 170 or whatever) on a public road
                    don't know if that was aimed at me or not
                    ... my bike did 170 on the chassis dyno... and it hits redline in high gear, must be close to 170, clutch isn't slipping...
                    when I tell ya something it's right.

don't know what to say about your dude with an I6 in an mr2 running 7's though :P

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                      I don't think they THINK they are lying - just that they have no real clue.
                      Dan
                      Ditto
                      You can't fix stupid
                      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

mister 2 - the performance car of the millenium

Comment

I didn't mean to aim that comment at anyone on here.

The problem with speed on a dyno - no wind resistance, which increases at roughly the square of wheel speed. This is a HUGE factor and is, at high speeds, THE limiting factor.

I've forgotten if you mentioned that you have a rule book or not. If not, do yourself a favor and get one ASAP. Make sure the bike meets all the safety regs (I'm not a bike guy and won't begin to try to list them). Check with Todd Dross (NARider on here) if you have any questions. He's the head bike inspector. I don't want you to show up for your first race and find out that you can't run because some bit of safety wire is missing or some such (we'll help you where we can).

I really want you to come and have fun but not be disappointed by whatever speed you run. The Big Deal is you got there instead of talking about it - Keith will go over that again in rookie orientation. You'll go down the track and have more fun than you thought possible. You'll meet up with so many great folks that you won't believe it. You'll get licensed for whatever speeds the bike can run. And you'll leave with new experiences and new goals. I'm at the point that I really don't care what I run, just that I DO run. That said, I'd like to bump the Buzz Bomb's E/CPRO recored in April - but I'm OK if I don't.

Dan

Comment

After reading this thread, just a few things...

Mister 2 never came with a 6 cylinder anything, ever... The first gen did have a supercharger near the end of it's run... The second gen did come with a turbo 4 that was shared with the Celica All-trac. There have been those who have swapped toyota V6 with supercharger into the second gen Mr2...

These cars are like cockroaches... After the end of the world only cockroaches and these things will be around... I from time to time co drive a MR2 in local autocross... They are great little cars. But like with everything else in life... Hindsight is never 20/20... As most wear rose colored glasses. ;D

Comment

Working...
                            X