Machine shops in Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine shops in Michigan

I am building a new short block for my 63, I have the block in Bay City Michigan right now and am looking for a good machine shop. My former employer is out of busines, the guy I used for many years retired, and the "best shop in town" I am not sure about. Just need a block, bored .030, zero decked, line honed, bottom end ballanced. I am willing to drive a couple hours for quick turn around (it will be a couple weeks before I bring it in) and good work.

Re: Machine shops in Michigan

It's in Westland, but they'er good. Kinetic Racing Engines. 734-595-7593. Ask for Chris
    Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Anderson
      I am building a new short block for my 63, I have the block in Bay City Michigan right now and am looking for a good machine shop. My former employer is out of busines, the guy I used for many years retired, and the "best shop in town" I am not sure about. Just need a block, bored .030, zero decked, line honed, bottom end ballanced. I am willing to drive a couple hours for quick turn around (it will be a couple weeks before I bring it in) and good work.

Muscle Motors-Lansing, Mi
      (517)482-4900-ask for Eric Budden, tell him I sent you.

Engine Machine Service-Potterville, Mi
      (517)645-9000-ask for Dave, tell him I sent you.

VT Engine Development-Lansing, Mi
      (517)272-7728

All are well known, very reputable.

Comment

Booth-Arons Racing Enterprises, Inc.
        3861 W. Twelve Mile Road
        Berkley, MI 48072
        Katech Inc.
        24324 Sorrentino Ct,
        Clinton Twp. MI 48035 Phone:
        Toll Free:
        Fax: (586) 791-4120
        (866) KATECH1
        (586) 791-0802
        E-mail addresses:
        Director of Aftermarket Operations Jason Harding jason
        12601 Universal Drive
        Taylor, MI 48180-6842

Comment

We use Thomson Automotive, http://thomsonautomotive.com/home.cfm?content=ads.cfm, or Roush Racing http://www.roushperformance.com/engines/engines.shtml.

Neither are the cheapest in town, but in my experience you get what you pay for. Usually Thomson is less expensive than Roush. Both have done machine work really quick for us, and both have done great work.

Comment

Missed an important one. Try Koffel's Place in Walled Lake. As in Dave Koffel of Ramcharger's fame. It's run by one of Dave's sons now and last I heard were still doing top-notch work. It's where we took stuff when we were "tired of screwing around and want to get it done right". Good guys, too - easy to deal with (or were about 6 years ago when I last took anything to them).

I don't like Roush personally. I've known too many guys who worked for him and were screwed over by him. No idea of how their machine services are, to be fair but I tend to think if the guy at the top is a jerk the employees are more likely to be dissatisfied and do poor work. This may not be fair, I know.

Dan

Comment

there is a reason why robert yates builds jacks motors now , now neither team wins anymore

Comment

Originally posted by std
                It's in Westland, but they'er good. Kinetic Racing Engines. 734-595-7593. Ask for Chris
                Small world, my Mom's cousin was one of the ex Roush guys that formed that place (he left like 10 years ago).

Comment

thompson automotive is a good one or petite's in carleton. (not sure if i spelled the last one correctly)

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Anderson
                    Originally posted by std
                    Small world, my Mom's cousin was one of the ex Roush guys that formed that place (he left like 10 years ago).

Yep, Lee Cooper. He moved north and we hardly ever see him. Dennis Rossow left and moved to FL. Now its just Chris and a couple employees. They still do really good work
                    Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Thanks guys ;D

Comment

If you hit Booth-Arons, tell Denny that Joe Lopez sent you :D

Also, contact Bruce at Heads Up Racing in Mt. Clemens. Tell him I sent you as well :D

Headsupracing.net is the online home to Heads Up Racing located in Mt. Clemens Michigan and features a product and services overview for Heads Up Racings race car building and repair shop.

Comment

Working...
                        X