Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gotta love Auto Zone

Originally posted by Brad54
    Rule to live by: Never trust a parts store with glass for the entire front wall, or one that doesn't have stools at the counter.

-Brad
    X2 !!!!!
    Reading , Pa
    Good Guys rodders rep.
    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
      Man, that's cool as hell about the skateboarding!

The old man was there when I picked up my carb kit. He looks me in the eye and says, "Son, are you qualified to do this?"

I said, "F$%k no"

He burst out laughing.

I usually tell them "No, but I saw pictures of it in a book once"

Comment

The parts house I like to use back home has a pot of coffee going at all times for the customers. Also no stools in front of the counter. There all behind it ;).

Comment

My experiences at Autozone make me believe that they hire computer operators and NOT genuine parts people!

Comment

My dad is the crusty old guy behind the counter at AutoZone that everyone lines up for. After he closed his shops and retired he got bored. He's been working at AutoZone for a few years now. He calls me up all the time with customer stories. He gives advice but most people ignore it and blow stuff up, then come back complaining whatever hackjob repair they tried didn't work.

But my dad will tell you don't go to AutoZone unless you know EXACTLY what part you need, and possibly the part number. I just make sure to save up my parts orders for when I go visit so I can get dad's discount.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldspowered
              My dad is the crusty old guy behind the counter at AutoZone that everyone lines up for. After he closed his shops and retired he got bored. He's been working at AutoZone for a few years now. He calls me up all the time with customer stories. He gives advice but most people ignore it and blow stuff up, then come back complaining whatever hackjob repair they tried didn't work.

But my dad will tell you don't go to AutoZone unless you know EXACTLY what part you need, and possibly the part number. I just make sure to save up my parts orders for when I go visit so I can get dad's discount.
              that's pretty cool. My local AZ has a guy like that - there'll be three unoccupied kids at the counter, but 19 people waiting in line at the register "the guy" is working. Because he used to be a mechanic and knows his stuff.

I go to him because he knows that I'll be putting together parts from 5 different cars to make someone's custom EFI system work. He always wants to know what I'm working on each time, sometimes we bring the car by the store for him to check out.

We always make sure to let him know he's appreciated...
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I don't think most of them even know what a Parts Book is. I get tired of hearing "I can't seem to find it in the computer" or after telling them there is nothing original about the car and they still ask "What motor and trans does it have" when all I want is a simple part.

Comment

Originally posted by 67prostreet
                  I don't think most of them even know what a Parts Book is. I get tired of hearing "I can't seem to find it in the computer" or after telling them there is nothing original about the car and they still ask "What motor and trans does it have" when all I want is a simple part.
                  I love that. "Hi, I need plug wires for a small block Chevy with HEI".

"Ok sir, what kind of car is it". "

"It is in a race car, so that doesn't matter, I just need the wires"

"I have to have a car to look up in the computer sir..."

"Fine, it is in a 1983 Corvette......."

Comment

My experience with all the parts stores in my area has caused me to first try online, then go to the store. I agree with the advice about having the part number - schucks (parts america) and napa (napaonline) both have their catalog online; and I fully use those prior to going to the store to get whatever I need (presuming I either need it right this instant, or cannot find it online).... I really have given up with the lot of them.... even napa has become a crapshoot.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

There's nothing better.

"Hi, I need a GM flasher can."

"What year is the car?"

"37"

"Make"

"Plymouth"

"What engine?"

"Chevy 327, but the fuse block is from a '78 Camaro"

"Um, what??"

"Nevermind, just move and I'll get it myself"
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                        Originally posted by Oldspowered

that's pretty cool. My local AZ has a guy like that - there'll be three unoccupied kids at the counter, but 19 people waiting in line at the register "the guy" is working. Because he used to be a mechanic and knows his stuff.

I go to him because he knows that I'll be putting together parts from 5 different cars to make someone's custom EFI system work. He always wants to know what I'm working on each time, sometimes we bring the car by the store for him to check out.

We always make sure to let him know he's appreciated...
                        Haha, I was that guy! I might not of been a mechanic at the dealerships, but I paid attention to alot of cars and their problems and fixes. I'd have a line in front of me and there would be a couple other zoner's standing by computers saying "Next" to no avail. These were usually shops and guys that knew, because 75% of our clientel was mexican and only spoke spanish, so if I had a line it was for buisness. It was pretty sad when the guy who can barely speak english waits for me instead of going to the guy who's fluent in spanish because despite the language barrier he know's I'm going to get him what he needs/wants.

The ASE cert for parts to me was essentially a joke. I laughed about it openly until I took the test with several other Autozoners, many who had worked there the better part of a decade and have taken the test before, then to find that myself and only one other guy passed it. I didn't giggle out loud about it anymore, just shook my head in disappointment :'(
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The AZ near here really sucks bad.Youve got these morons behind the counter and the parking lot could have an episode of cops fimed there .I dont go there. NAPA or Carquest is good as well as Advanced.

Comment

You have to realize that these chain stores are businesses that are in it for profit, understandably. I have always had oddballs. Big block Chevy's with tapered plugs vs washered, a boat with 2.3 OMC inboard (Ford), '85 C10 with late model roller block, after market cam and valvetrain, electric fuel pump. I don't bother trying to stump or prove a point with the man or kids at the counter. I know what I want and order a starter relay for an 83 mustang or plugs for a 396 69 Chevelle, or a fuel pump block off plate for a 96 1500. I have never owned any of those. Never had a problem. I choose parts stores based on the friendliness off the help. Around here it is Advanced. Although I just realized I could pay for items at NAPA, but charge them to my cousins shop, and I get a HUGE discount. Still go to Advanced most of the time because I like the people that work there.

Comment

go to the dealer .... or naaapaaa

Comment

[quote=SpiderGearsMan ]
                                go to the dealer .... or naaapaaa

#### the dealer

Comment

Working...
                                X