Car/Racing Books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car/Racing Books?

I just started reading "Mark Donohue: Technical Excellence at Speed" writtern by Michael Argetsinger.
    I'm up to page 76, and it's really getting good now. I would recommend this to any gear head, very interesting facts in there.
    I almost feel like I should post a good ol' fashioned book report for you guys, it's got some seriously interesting insight into racing life at the time, to car development and driver information, and on and on.

The library actually had it (Elkhart lake public Library ;)) and it's winter anyway and the garage is awfully cold at the moment.

Any other recommendations out there?
    I was at a big book store and they had "The art of the HOT ROD" there, but it was mostly pretty pictures and not much information or history so I passed it by.

Anyone else have some BS-approved book recommendations out there?

Re: Car/Racing Books?

Mike, once you're done, you need to read one of the best racing books ever written.

The Unfair Advantage by Paul Van Valkenburg
    It is an amazing book about the career of Mark Donohue and will be a perfect chaser for the book you are on.

I'll take a photo of what my wife called the "Lohnes Institue for Racing and Automotive History" in my basement tomorrow.

I could list 50 books right now.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

"All but my life" -Ken Purdy and Stirling Moss. Written shortly after Sir Moss retired from racing. I would put it in the top ten of any of the racing related books I've read-and I've read a lot.

Comment

List away, Brian, list away.

I agree about Unfair Advantage. I still read it before I start setting up a car.

Any book by Carroll Smith, any book by Paul Van Valkenburg.

All the Smokey written books. His three volume opus about his life is an interesting read, just be prepared for an unvarnished delivery.

I've read all the "Speedsecrets" books about roadracing, which are generally about how to approach driving.

I'll have to look through my collection.

Comment

MANDATORY BOOK for a Racer....

Prepare to Win by Carroll Smith

also with

Tune to Win
          Engineer to Win and
          Nuts bolts and fasteners

Seriously.... Prepare to win is the Finest book on being a Race car owner/builder/driver/poop head .... it's the Deal and all the rest are fluff or just Stuff...

After that I have several real books you should read... but if you want to go racing.. that's the Poop

Comment

This is a great thread, thanks Mike.
            I'm going to go to my Public Library with a list of those already mentioned,
            but would also be seriously interested in more titles from Brian & Keith.
            ;)

Comment

4 of the 5 books I got for Christmas are listed below.
              Thanks Brian!

The 5th book was: Mickey Thompson, The Fast Life and Tragic Death of a Racing Legend. I have already read this one. It was pretty good. Filled in a lot of blanks regarding early So Cal hot rod history. I would have liked more technical details on the cars Mikey built though.

Comment

I have three books on their way,
                Mickey Thompson: The Fast Life and Tragic Death of a Racing Legend
                John Force: The Straight Story of Drag Racing's 300-mph Superstar
                Shirley Muldowney's Tales from the Track

Comment

How about this one here --> http://www.bangshift.com/forum/index.php?topic=17946.0

</shameless plug>

What do you guys normally look for in a car book before you pick it up?

Comment

Any in this lot tip your fancy ?
                    http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/h...?CID=2&DS_ID=2

Do a "Hot Rod" search in books at Amazon.com.
                    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?u...rods&x=13&y=21
                    (Link might work)

Comment

Cannonball by Brock Yates is good also GLory Days by Jim Wangers the marketing guy on the GTO was very good
                      too.

Comment

Working...
                      X