Forklift accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forklift accident

No, the Georgetown mill is not in our company. The mill I'm referring to is in upper SC, about 30 miles south of Charlotte, NC. That's where I worked then.

Hugo carved a swath from north of Charleston SC all the way to the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC. Knocked down trees and closed a large section of the parkway for a while. On the way, the storm kept its "eye" the whole way to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Uncanny, because most hurricanes die (lose structure) as soon as making landfall.

With Hugo, there was a high strong pressure system to the east and a strong high pressure system to the west of land fall, spinning the storm like a top, and steering it inland at the same time... If you can find a radar playback all these years later, it was unreal how long it lived on land.

But anyhow, you can trace my near-death on a lift truck all the way back to that. It's the classic tale of an industrial accident. There's not just one thing, there's this, and then that and than that and then that, and then add one more thing, and there it is.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Every place I've work that involved using a forklift had a safety course for anyone that had to use a fork lift. The manufacture I work for in the '90s had nearly every type of lift made. I hated using the standup warehouse lifts after watching a guy back one into a concrete wall with his foot hanging out of the operator area. Made a hell of a mess out of his foot. :o As soon as he was able to return to work a couple months later, the company let him go.

Comment

The thing about lifts - I can't say it enough to anybody including our trainees - this thing will hurt of KILL you! Or somebody else. It's so much fun to drive, that's actually the bad part. The thing that causes accidents - it's fun. But boy is it ever unstable. That's the gist of the training program I used to deliver - just KNOW it will hurt you, and bad.

It (the training program) works for new hires that are easily impressed, but for folks that have already driven one somewhere else and think they are already good at it, and they had no training to start with about the danger....ohhhhh boy. Nightmares.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I have spent about 12 years on industrial trucks in what had to have been the most dangerous setting I have ever seen. I worked in a fineblanking shop that was full of cutting oil at all times. The company tried to make it better by having the floors coated with an epoxy that was supossed to be oil resistant and have grip. HA! Have you ever driven a go cart on a slick track? The floors were worse than ever. I went in to work every day KNOWING that I had to beware of every other person in my area could slip and KILL ME! I really don't miss that job any more.
          Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

Ooooh, this brings back memories...used to work at Floor Craft in Manitou Spgs., CO. In the warehouse they had a modified Toyota lift, had a 10-ft pole instead of the lift used to move large rolls of carpet.

Ah, the f**klift.

I ran it a couple of times...being a 17-y/o kid, I wasn't going to do anything like that. Didn't stop the other warehouse geeks..one gets in and fires it up, the other hangs on the end of the ..pole, and he gets hauled to the top rack and set down between two rolls of carpet, where he caught an hr-long catnap while I did his filing.
            Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I used to drive a truck at our factory but the place got so full of people and the aisles seemed to get narrower and then the maintenance guys got carts and trucks I let my license run out to just focus on running other equipment. As a pedestrian in the factory I HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY,( Doesn't matter if someone sees you comming and jumps in front of you with a death wish or dreams of big dollars) but I always get out of the aisle when I see or here one comming because it takes longer to heal than the time it slows my trip down and hey,I'm getting paid by the hour away right. My hats of to al you fork truck drivers sticking it out with all the risk of the blame and your job on you !

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierGTA
                I used to drive a truck at our factory but the place got so full of people and the aisles seemed to get narrower and then the maintenance guys got carts and trucks I let my license run out to just focus on running other equipment. As a pedestrian in the factory I HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY,( Doesn't matter if someone sees you comming and jumps in front of you with a death wish or dreams of big dollars) but I always get out of the aisle when I see or here one comming because it takes longer to heal than the time it slows my trip down and hey,I'm getting paid by the hour away right. My hats of to al you fork truck drivers sticking it out with all the risk of the blame and your job on you !
                I call that the "you might be right but you still lose" Scenerio. Same deal at my work, the big haul truck may have a yield and I don't, but I'm going to hang back and let them go, particularly on icy and muddy days, what good is being right if you are crushed flatter than a pancake?
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I stop and look at traffic accidents. I won't hang around, but when I hear something is terrible, as bad as it is, I've gotta look at it.
                  Norman Lear
                  workplace incident

Comment

Working...
                  X