Future classics/ investment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future classics/ investment

What would you buy?60s and 70s cars have been the hot cars.80s Mustangs, Camaro's etc are out there at reasonable prices BUT how many are in great shape etc.

Re: Future classics/ investment

I still watch the third gen F bodies for some dumb reason and there are always several low mileage garage queens for sale on ebay, and they bring pretty good money when they're prefect, but I don't think they're ever going to be worth huge money. There just isn't anything built after the early seventies that has the "total package" of appeal to have any real legs as far as appreciation goes. There's a few exceptions I'm sure like GNX's, factory race Mustangs, ect. but they're already expensive enough now that they won't appreciate enough to be considered a good investment. You make your money when you buy-not when you sell.

Investment=property

Cars=enjoy from the drivers seat and don't lose money if you're lucky.

Comment

Kris, that frame of mind is spot-on!

Buying vehicles as an investment is akin to playing Russian Roulette.....chances are you're gonna lose.

Only way I'd buy a vehicle as an investment is if there was a good chance on return-of-investment(i.e., buying a Class 8 tractor and becoming an owner/operator).....the rest of it is overbown baseball-card trading, IMHO.

Doesn't bother me a bit knowing the "stupid money" won't affect 99% of the 3rd-gen F-bodies...just means I'll still be able to afford another one and have fun with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed

Investment=property

My thoughts exactly, unless you can somehow find that rare one off barn find.....but then again, I'd drive that like I stole it too!
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
          Originally posted by Mr4Speed
          Investment=property
          My thoughts exactly.....
          .. and don't forget to include all associated costs with a car investment, not just the purchase price.
          Such as, storage facility, insurance, etc. for 25+ years ....
          :-\

Comment

I kinda look at this in reverse. Loosing money is a given. So the question is: which cars, when sold, will recover the greatest portion of the money I spent on buying and restoring/modifying them?

For example, if you had a choice between a basket case 4 door chevelle for free or a equally bad $3000 2 door, then which one do you choose? The 2 door is a better value because after you spend $10k on a basket case restoration, the 2 door might actually recover your full investment at resale while the 4 door will be $5k in the hole.

Comment

The best "investments" are the things that no one (including you) sees coming.

I always laugh when someone uses the words "car" and "investment" in the same sentence.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Aircooled
                the 2 door might actually recover your full investment at resale.
                Steve, getting your original expenditure back is not an investment (and does not even take into consideration your time, use of your tools or other overheads, which all cost money, tangible or intangible).
                :'(

Comment

I agree that a car isn't an investment, but like AirCooled noted, some of them will let you recoup a bit more money when you sell them than others. With that said, I think the cars most likely to be worth a barrel of money in the future are the ones kids had posters of on their walls growing up. My top pick would be a Dodge Viper. They may be getting close to the bottom of the depreciation curve, particularly if Fiat pulls the plug on them. A Supra Twin Turbo will probably be valuable but may already be overhyped. C4 and C5 Corvettes might not do too badly either.

For less expensive items, it's a bit more speculation, but I would expect a really nice stock SN95 Mustang to do fairly well. A clean stock example of a first generation DSM with the turbo motor and AWD would also probably be valuable in the future, but they're pretty much impossible to find even now!

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
                    the 2 door might actually recover your full investment at resale.
                    Steve, getting your original expenditure back is not an investment (and does not even take into consideration your time, use of your tools or other overheads, which all cost money, tangible or intangible).
                    :'(
                    Whoa!... careful now... you are treading on some of the the fundamental laws of geardom.
                    1) A Banshifter's time is free. i.e. It has no value. Just ask your Boss if you think otherwise. :D
                    2) Tool purchases are always justified because you saved money doing the work yourself. ;D
                    3) The above rules allow a hypothetical someone to claim that he made $200 on a 240Z that was purchased for $2000, received $400 in parts and was sold for $2600 2 years later.

Comment

If you can beat the depreciation curve, and put some miles on a car, and have fun with it, you're doing a lot better than 99% of the driving public.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I kinda look at this in reverse. Loosing money is a given. So the question is: which cars, when sold, will recover the greatest portion of the money I spent on buying and restoring/modifying them?

For example, if you had a choice between a basket case 4 door chevelle for free or a equally bad $3000 2 door, then which one do you choose? The 2 door is a better value because after you spend $10k on a basket case restoration, the 2 door might actually recover your full investment at resale while the 4 door will be $5k in the hole.

like having a mid 80' monty ls coupe or an SS
                        one you'll get more for and they are the same car.. other than nose cone and deck spoiler/etc

Comment

The only cars I make money on are the ones that get the least amount of work.... the moment you make the car a personal car, you're feeding it wheelbarrowfuls of cash.... ;)
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I've only made money on decent, reliable daily driver-type cars (think Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra, Focus, or Honda Accord) with a good reputation among buyers and ONE problem - usually for me a front end crash. If it needs the front end fixed - AND a new engine - AND the clutch slips, AND the interior is messed up - well, it's not a bargain if it's free. MAN, it took me a long time to learn this!

Special interest cars CAN make you money, but don't count on it. It'll break your heart almost every time.

Dan

Comment

I invest in things that make me smile.

1969 Camaro

My lathe and mill

I have two unrestored gas pumps in my office.

I have a small collection of old hurricane lamps. Dont know if they are worth anything but they look cool to me.

Life is too short. Invest wisely.

Investing $$$ to me is buy something you can turn quickly and stay liquid with cash on hand. Only the scale is different depending on how much cash you have to work with. Buy low/sell high is the formula to making money.

Chris 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X