X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shawn Anderson
    replied
    Re: anyone into snowmobiles?

There are great deals out there on F7's, light weight and 140hp make them fun. I love triples but in the trails give me a twin way more grunt. I have a 06 Sabercat 700, it's a F7 with a touring (les agresive suspention) and really like it. My older sled is a Vmax 4, it's fun too but big and heavy like tripples are (it's a 4 cylinder 2 stroke 800 ask Thundercat guys about them ;D). F7 will be worth the exstra money for the better handling.

Leave a comment:

• mf68chevelle
    replied

That Zr700 looks like the best deal to me too. It looks like it is about what I am looking for power-wise also. I called the guy, it sounds like it is pretty much flawless except for a crack on the side of the hood. It has 3000ish miles and 144 studs in the track. I have never even rode a sled that is newer than a 92 wildcat so I expect this thing would drive like a dream to me. I might just have to go buy that one. He even said he would take 1500.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied

Originally posted by KeithTurk
    Hard to ride a snow mobile when your packing Samsonite....

( if theres white stuff... Very strong chance you'll catch me packing my stuff )
    Hijack:
    I thought of you when I saw the Samsonite building in Denver.... apparently they took your advice because the building has a "for rent" sign on it. ;D

Leave a comment:

• BYGDDY
    replied

Originally posted by boxer3main
    I got into snowmobiles living in north central maine.
    the true winners are a surprise to "bigger is better"

For the longest time, a kawasaki 440 fan cooled twin carbed 2cyl was the champ, from 70s into the 80s. Wherever it was mounted. I had a hillbilly 68 snojet with one welded in. had to keep clutch way weak to avoid raping the little bogie wheeled track.

My next sled was from advice, and I purchased a liquid cooled 600 polaris xlt tamed down just enough to be normal trail rider. Triple carbed, and oversized stuff. that one was a wheelie into the 80s and topped at 115 mph. (I learned the wildcat was too big for its own good BTW, via this machine). The only one faster, I have seen personally was the last gen air cooled 650....I am sure alot has changed. I wanted four stroke next...
    Doubting the sheer power of the 600 as a noob, and the curve of throttle exactly precise, as if to never lose. buried the outrgaeous tach (14k?!~)My first trip across a field at wide open left 100 yards with me not even leaving a trail (I am in the 140 pound driver category). My hands just started thumping to adrenaline writing this memory, raising a few hairs on my neck...

It was amchine to stand on end like a unicycle and spin in circles...for the hell of it. deep snow unnecessary...

I am guessing four stroke is gonna win, especially with turbos etc etc...I have spotted a couple of them breaking new ground, crazy speed.

mod: the buffer is still extremely problemed, very very slow
    Four stroke with turbo? sURE, maybe, the 750 polaris turbo's are ok but still get raped by an 800 two stroke. Turbo's are easy to make fast but not as reliable or cheap to fix, try changing plugs on a four stroke turbo in the bush, good luck and hope you have a good tow strap and a buddy on a 2 stroke to get you home. Yamaha is the exception to the rule, four stroke, lot's of mileage capable, good gas mileage, good power, but you get a huge price tag to go with it. And a big cc 2 is still going to kill it outa the whole and "feel" alot faster. The tech. is getting better on four strokes but a tried and true 2strk, especially a used one is the better buy.

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied

I got into snowmobiles living in north central maine.
    the true winners are a surprise to "bigger is better"

For the longest time, a kawasaki 440 fan cooled twin carbed 2cyl was the champ, from 70s into the 80s. Wherever it was mounted. I had a hillbilly 68 snojet with one welded in. had to keep clutch way weak to avoid raping the little bogie wheeled track.

My next sled was from advice, and I purchased a liquid cooled 600 polaris xlt tamed down just enough to be normal trail rider. Triple carbed, and oversized stuff. that one was a wheelie into the 80s and topped at 115 mph. (I learned the wildcat was too big for its own good BTW, via this machine). The only one faster, I have seen personally was the last gen air cooled 650....I am sure alot has changed. I wanted four stroke next...
    Doubting the sheer power of the 600 as a noob, and the curve of throttle exactly precise, as if to never lose. buried the outrgaeous tach (14k?!~)My first trip across a field at wide open left 100 yards with me not even leaving a trail (I am in the 140 pound driver category). My hands just started thumping to adrenaline writing this memory, raising a few hairs on my neck...

It was amchine to stand on end like a unicycle and spin in circles...for the hell of it. deep snow unnecessary...

I am guessing four stroke is gonna win, especially with turbos etc etc...I have spotted a couple of them breaking new ground, crazy speed.

mod: the buffer is still extremely problemed, very very slow

Leave a comment:

• BYGDDY
    replied

The 700 seems to be priced well depending on k's. Im a big guy so don't ride much under 700cc, 6's are zippy and fun in the bush but if you want something that can be quick in the woods but still scream on a lake the 700 is the way to go.
    P.S
    Love Americans.....only in the U.S of A will an add read "will trade for guns and ammo"
    Lol

Leave a comment:

• mf68chevelle
    replied

These are kind of what I am looking at. Not looking to spend much money just want something a little newer. What do you think? anyone know anything about these?

Leave a comment:

• SSChevyManiac
    replied

They're cool as hell but too rich for my blood. Buddy of mine had a 02 ZR 600. Plenty of power and did 120. It spun the track for me with 1.5" lugs and 96 spikes. Ran great and started after 1 or 2 pulls.

Leave a comment:

• BYGDDY
    replied

Originally posted by mf68chevelle
    I currently ride a 88,89, and 92 wildcat. Two of them are taken apart right now in need of repairs. This got me to thinking about upgrading. The problem that I run into is I know very little about which of the newer snowmobiles are good. I defiantly want to stay with Arctic Cat! I am looking at probably getting about a 98-2000 Zr, Zl, ZRT or something of the sort. 600-800cc. I am looking for a little more top end speed than the 92 wildcat 700. It tops out at about 105. Also I don't know much about EFI on sleds. I guess I am just looking for a fast reliable comfortable sled. If anyone has any input on good, bad or what to lookout for let me know.
    F1000 sno pro, if you are staying with cat it's hard to beat, 167 ish hp, Multi rider position, adjustable susp, or if you are a big budget kinda guy, the new Z1 turbo is a monster, it's just a programer away from being well over 200hp, but huge money, used you could go with a 2000ish Thundercat 1000, 10yrs later it's still a riot to ride, and not much will touch it on the lakes, and a huge aftermarket as well. Just my 2cents...
    Dave
    P.S,
    This year was supposed to be a sled of my own year but the car came first, so im still riding my brother in laws or sisters, F7 or Mach 1, both big stupid fun. But having ridden alot i agree and love the big cats.

Leave a comment:

• KeithTurk
    replied

Hard to ride a snow mobile when your packing Samsonite....

( if theres white stuff... Very strong chance you'll catch me packing my stuff )

Leave a comment:

• mf68chevelle
    started a topic anyone into snowmobiles?

anyone into snowmobiles?

I currently ride a 88,89, and 92 wildcat. Two of them are taken apart right now in need of repairs. This got me to thinking about upgrading. The problem that I run into is I know very little about which of the newer snowmobiles are good. I defiantly want to stay with Arctic Cat! I am looking at probably getting about a 98-2000 Zr, Zl, ZRT or something of the sort. 600-800cc. I am looking for a little more top end speed than the 92 wildcat 700. It tops out at about 105. Also I don't know much about EFI on sleds. I guess I am just looking for a fast reliable comfortable sled. If anyone has any input on good, bad or what to lookout for let me know.
Working...
X