Simple mistakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple mistakes

I just read a post from TheSilverBuick on The Random thought thread and I had to laugh.
    Everyone makes simple and sometimes stupid mistakes that don't hurt anything other than your pride.

Back during high school I worked at my Uncle's service station in the tire shop.When it got slow I would help out with pumping gas and checking oil. This is what we called Full Service for you younger guy's ;) :D.
    Well, one day I'm out front helping out and a regular customer pulls in for gas and asks if I could check under the hood. She said the last time she was in I (yes me) told her she was down on oil and I may have put to much in. Because it's been leaking oil since then. I opened the hood to find oil all over the place because I forgot to put the oil cap back on. As a matter of fact it was still sitting on the intake where I put it. I told her what happened and that I would pay for her oil and come by her house to clean the mess. She just laughed and says no big deal she thought there was someting wrong with her car.

What have you done that classifies as a simple and or stupid mistake?

Re: Simple mistake's

simple, 1 oil filter, two gaskets, = one big mess!!!!!
    COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Nope. Never, EVER made a stupid mistake. Not me. Nope. (yeah, right).

Dan

Comment

I've probably got hundreds of these, new and old, I'm sure I've forgotten many of them.

One that always sticks out in my mind was when I was 16, I put twice as much oil in my 231 because I checked it when it was dark out and couldn't see the fresh oil on dipstick, D'oh! I had just did the head gaskets and got it together that afternoon. I was cruising around with some friends (YEAH, just got the car running again cruising) and it was mis-firing or something (I wasn't much of a diagnostician then) so we pulled into a pepboys parking lot, so I might as well check the oil, and I didn't "see" the fresh oil on the dip stick. So I paniced and bought five quarts and dumped them in. Still ran like crap and it was smoking to high hell out the tail pipe. I was freaking out driving home waiting for it to die on me. The next morning my Dad and I go out to the car, I pull the dip stick and it's WAAAAAY over full. Oops. Drained the oil and it ran fine, don't recall what issue it was having then but it could of been carb, ignition or EGR.

Another highschool, "Just got the car running again cruise" that blew up in my face. I had just put a new starter in the Skylark and rolled over to my friend's house to pick him up. We jump in the car, I turn the key and hear "BANG!" under the hood and loose all electrical. I was a little better at trouble shooting by then. Popped the hood to see the battery terminal splattered all over the engine compartment. Going to need a new battery... Look around a bit more and it appears that during the starter installation the battery cable was up against the exhaust manifold. Just barely melted through driving over to his house and the starter load must of finished off the connection and good bye battery terminal :o :D

This is for Oldsman71.
        Buick's do this when that happens: ;D
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

you the man Randal!! I didnt take pics of my double gasket
          but it made a big mess under the hood of my 71 torino
          Im probly better at admitting my mistakes now!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman71
            Slight confession, that wasn't a double gasket incident. It was a "playing with the oil pump to get more pressure" incident. 100psi while cranking leads to this when the engine catches.

It just blew the single gasket out the top. I tryed it again with a new filtered screwed on even tighter with the same results only that time it blew out at the bottom into the pan I had there ;D I was smart enough to not try it a third time.

Comment

I'm with Dan, I've never made a stupid mistake. That's why I don't know anything.
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I did the same thing once, and you aint kidding, one real big mess.
                After all these years I can still find new ways to screw up. Last year I put a clutch pack in backwards....the hub on the first disk had to touch the flywheel, the car didn't run too bad but obviously the clutch never locked up.
                Originally posted by TC
                also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                  Slight confession, that wasn't a double gasket incident. It was a "playing with the oil pump to get more pressure" incident. 100psi while cranking leads to this when the engine catches.

It just blew the single gasket out the top. I tryed it again with a new filtered screwed on even tighter with the same results only that time it blew out at the bottom into the pan I had there ;D I was smart enough to not try it a third time.
                  you got the pressure up!!!! :D

Comment

30 some years ago I got off work at 0700 from working midnights nights on the railroad - freezing ass cold out (like it is here now)- I get home and the cute girl in the apartment next door has a frozen door lock. Mr. Hero (me) lights a fusee (flare) out of my bib overalls to heat up her key. Guess what ? First aluminum key I ever saw - it melted in 1/2 a nano-second - so off I go to take her to work from Taylor, MI. to the Hamtramack assmbly plant about 30 miles across Detroit one way on snowpacked roads dead ass tired. No more key warming with fusees for me that's for sure.
                    Phil / Omaha

Comment

I'm beginning to not like this thread, it just started an it's already reminding me of all my screw ups :P

I put the throw out bearing in the Skylark in backwards. I was even smart enough to take a picture of it, then put the transmission in. D'oh!

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel
                        I did the same thing once, and you aint kidding, one real big mess.
                        After all these years I can still find new ways to screw up. Last year I put a clutch pack in backwards....the hub on the first disk had to touch the flywheel, the car didn't run too bad but obviously the clutch never locked up.
                        I went over to drive a stock car for a buddy and on deceleration and idle I felt a funny
                        vibration threw the pedeal and heard a strange rattle :-\ , we got back and pulled the tranny and
                        they had been running that trans (sag. 3 speed) for a long time with the snout that the throw out
                        bearing rides on broke off even with the plate that retains the input shaft , the bearing was riding
                        ON the input shaft!!!! he said "I wonder if that was why the clutch was wareing funny????"

Comment

Re: Simple mistakes

Just this week, I was putting the back freeze plugs in my whoppin 318 rebuild and I didn't know the cam plug was a round piece of metal that you sit in the hole and ping the middle with a punch and hammer!
                          So off to the parts store and we sat and looked at stuff for 30 mins until one of the owners came buy and told me exactly what to do!!!

Comment

Yeah, I could probably play this game for hours...
                            Cam bearings are pinned on a TFX block.....on Brads they are not. I took a little time figuring that one out one day, even though it clearly says on the pan rail, "CAM BEARINGS PINNED"
                            Originally posted by TC
                            also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

clutches can be no fun!!! when I was 15, I slipped the clutch on my
                              truck (with a load of trash on it) untill the clutch exploded!!!! Ya it was stupid :P
                              I bruised both heals and cut one leg AND had to change a flywheel,
                              clutch, and trans with maggots raining down from holes in the bed
                              sorry no pics, but my dad has the hub of the disc nailed to the wall
                              of his shop!!

Comment

Working...
                              X