Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: F150 Accident

Originally posted by studemax
    If you hit someone from behind, you are at fault legally.
    What??? what if you are behind somebody, and they slam on the brakes at a yellow light and you hit them

Everybody here was saying failure to stop would make more sense.

I usually give myself much more room than that, but I guess I didn't give myself enough

Yeah, cop asked me what happened, I said my dog distracted me for a moment

Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Yup, if someone slams on their brakes at pretty much any time and you hit them it's because you were following too close for the attention you were paying to the road/traffic.

The only exception I can think of (and the 18-wheeler drivers know this for sure) is if some one cuts in front of you and immediately slam on their brakes.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Isn't that the same truck you put in a ditch while driving too fast on wet roads or something as told at rc?
        "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Yeah, I've done quite a few stupid things with her, and feel horrible, I put her into a ditch because I went too fast for that cheapo way of repaving roads with the loose stones on top, also hit a guard rail, and blew a trans

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Kammback
            Originally posted by studemax
            If you hit someone from behind, you are at fault legally.
            What??? what if you are behind somebody, and they slam on the brakes at a yellow light and you hit them

Everybody here was saying failure to stop would make more sense.

I usually give myself much more room than that, but I guess I didn't give myself enough

Yeah, cop asked me what happened, I said my dog distracted me for a moment

I see the problem, you're from NJ. Like me.

NJ simply sucks. Years ago my wife was broad sided in the driver's side. The driver's door was pushed in. My wife was on a main road, trying to make a left turn, had her left blinker on and proceeded to make a left turn after all on coming traffic passed. The guy at the side street, at the stop sign, made a left turn as my wife started to make her left turn. Guess what. No one got a ticket and my wife was found to be at 30% fault!

2 years ago, I had a guy who had come through a yield sign behind, behind a UPS van in the right lane while I was in the left hand lane with the right of way having just come through a green light. The UPS truck slowed up to make a right, into a parking lot. The guy behind him, who hit me, had just crossed a solid white line to get around the UPS truck, hit me in the RR. He didn't get any tickets either.

Also 2 years ago, my son was coming through a jug handle and had the green light, crossing 4 lanes of traffic. As he cleared 2 lanes, a girl driving a late model Mustang, ran the red light. He hit her in the driver's door. My son had a passenger as did she. both claimed they had the green (my son got out of his car after the accident to check to see if he had the green, it was green). The cop on the sence badgered another motorist to say my son had ran a red light and that's what he put down. The witness works where my son does and was following him. She told my son she really didn't see who had the red but the cop pressured her into saying he had the red. Wonder if the cop knew the girls in the Mustang who my son hit?
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

NJ is the worst state in the Union

Comment

If it is any solace, rear-ending someone basically means you are screwed in every state in the Union.
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

It could have been worse. A few weeks ago, a young man 18-20 was distracted by his dog while driving here in OK. He told the police that he 'looked back at the dog just for a minute'. Obviously he survived but the woman and daughter that was in the car he hit head-on were both killed.

Comment

We all hate to see this happen to you, you're a good kid and you don't deserve this. Unfortunately, shit happens, and sometimes it happens to good people. The blessings are that 1) you're OK, 2) the dog's OK, and 3) you were driving a somewhat recent-model F150, which will be a lot easier to fix than your vintage AMC iron.

You might want to start asking around about a civil lawyer who's a real asshole. You hopefully won't need it, but if the other driver wasn't talking, he may have been doing so in order to prevent anything from coming up at trial in a lawsuit. You don't need to put them on retainer, but it wouldn't hurt to know who the most despicable, despiseable, and all-out most hated lawyer in your area is and get their business card.

Comment

I was once told anytime "backing up" is involved, even if you're now stopped, it's 100% your fault.
                      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Yeah, that totally sucks, but to play the devils advocate, you are at fault. Back in the day my Dad was driving on a major highway, women in front of him spilled coffee in her lap and decided it was a good idea to slam on the brakes. He rear-ended her '72 Caddy with the '70 Imp. Guess what, it was his fault. You're supposed to drive with enough room to stop when the person in front of you slams on the brakes.

With that said, we've all been there and done that, chalk it up to a learning experience. My learning experience involved barrel rolling mid-air. Get a new bumper, stay a little farther back, and hopefully the people won't be total @ssholes.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Kammback
                          ...What??? what if you are behind somebody, and they slam on the brakes at a yellow light and you hit them...
                          You're at fault, kid. Don't tailgate.
                          Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Yup, sorry to say in my early post, almost always you rear end someone, it's your fault, no matter what. The only person who I know who got away with it was my cousin. He was stopped, the woman in front backed up into him. Told the cop my cousin rear ended her. How ever my cousin had just left his insurance agent who saw the woman back into him through the front office window and set the record straight with the cop. Otherwise he would have been tagged for being at fault.

It's still your fault since you should have been totally in control no matter what. How ever I do think the ticket is a bit much. In all of the accidents I've been hit I do not ever recall the other person who hit me get a ticket except for possibly the uninsured guy who totaled my Rabbit out on the FDR by the Triborough bridge who rear ended me, pushing me into another car.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I never tailgate, ever, my dog distracted me, and I hit them, I never even said it wasn't my fault, I know it is my fault :

Comment

That sucks man. I got a careless when i was 17 for doing something far stupider. Glad you're not hurt, just be careful.

Comment

Working...
                                X