Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here knows about building a website??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joe_rocket45
    replied
    Re: Who here knows about building a website??

That site took about 2 weeks to complete, as far as the hosting you listed the $4 a month hosting will be more than you need for a long time if their servers are not overloaded. looking at some reviews you may consider using other companies, http://www.webhostingstuff.com/review/directNIC.htm (personally I use a very small host that offers great service at a cost of $10 a year for sites like these)

Even a moderately large wordpress install will not reach over 10mb in size to give you an idea of the space you will need, although if you intend to host videos or the like some of them can be 100 mb in greater in size, although most should be 10mb for smaller vids, especially for the users sake.

Leave a comment:

• Nik2
    replied

Originally posted by joe_rocket45
    word press is good, here is the last wordpress site we built:

Our local Madison eye doctors offer top eye care and eye exams for both children & adults. For an eye exam at Madison Eyes call us today at 973-377-1060!

admin control to add pages, categories, upload images or videos and more.

That site looks great, how long did it take you do it? I contacted directnic where the domain is parked and they said Wordpress was compatable and that I just needed to decide which level I need. How do you figure out much space you need?

Premium Hosting Sign up

Please select a Hosting Plan
    Bronze
    Gold
    Platinum

Setup Fee Free Free Free
    Monthly Fee US$3.95 US$8.95 US$15.95
    Disk Space 800 MB 2000 MB 6000 MB
    Monthly Data Transfer 100 GB 400 GB 1000 GB
    POP3 Email Accounts 40 100 250
    Mailing Lists 100 200 300
    MySQL Databases 10 30 75

Leave a comment:

• joe_rocket45
    replied

word press is good, here is the last wordpress site we built:

Our local Madison eye doctors offer top eye care and eye exams for both children & adults. For an eye exam at Madison Eyes call us today at 973-377-1060!

admin control to add pages, categories, upload images or videos and more.

Leave a comment:

• BigBlockMopar
    replied

Next to hosting I also build a websites now and then.
    For a simple site and a some of pics I would suggest finding a webhoster where you can install 'Wordpress'. http://wordpress.org
    Once setup, this is an easy to use blog-system perfectly suited for showing updates on your progress.
    Lots and lots of templates available to give your site a nice look and layout.

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied

I went and got an original html book (1.0? 1.1?)
    and read through it, it makes alot more sense then.

I also found a program called "web dwarf", that was a favorite, even the free one.
    Alot of modern proclaim this cutting edge stuff and it is really annoying...jeesh for over five years now. I'd love to snappy twack fast through an original html page...

and the buffer here is still driving the cpu to 100% and 160 degrees...
    why? it has been several weeks like this. the only one...

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

Lots of hosting places out there. some of them suck, and the others cost money. There are free pages that usually have some sort of advertising on them.

If you have the right kind of internet service, you could host it from your house....if you have a computer you could leave on all the time. Might be a challenge to set it up, though.

I have mine on amhosting.com

Making the web page is pretty easy using an html composition program, I use seamonkey

Leave a comment:

• Nik2
    started a topic Who here knows about building a website??

Who here knows about building a website??

Now that I'm getting deeper into the bus building and the route 66 trip planning, I REALLY want to do something with a domain name I have. Nothing spectacular for now, just a one pager with a pic or two and a way to contact, but I have zero clues on this stuff. Building it, where to host it at and stuff like that. Anyone??
Working...
X