What have you MADE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have you MADE?

With the HOT RODDING IS DEAD video in my mind I have to ask BSers in the true sprit of hot rodding what have you MADE even though you could have saved time and just bought it?

The latest for me was today... I made 4 sets of jets for the idle transfer circuit in my carb.
    In the past I've made transmission crossmembers,alternator brackets,welded up mandrel bends into an exhaust system,my own subframe connectors,hiem jointed clutch linkage and more brackets and tabs than I can remember.

What haveyou MADE?

Oh I still don't have a drill press,torch set or pipe bender.
    I do have a MIG and 3 disc ginders....

Re: What have you MADE?

I've made a few tools when the real specialty tools were way too expensive - or not available right here right now when I needed them.
    Most were pretty simple - like cutting a socket in half, welding a piece of black pipe between the two pieces to make it "extra deep well" and using it to remove the LH threaded fuel filter plastic pipe on the power stroke diesel.

My brother in law and I built my extra heavy and extra huge tilt bed car trailer - but most of that fab work was his.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

like john said mostly sockets special tools but have built headers,
      motor mounts, cross members, brackets, bodymounts, a couple of frames
      and such like. but I fix/re-do more stuff than I build from scratch.
      COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

The only thing I've made was two boys and a girl. And those were with a BIG assist from my wife. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Nik2
          The only thing I've made was two boys and a girl. And those were with a BIG assist from my wife. ;D
          LOL!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
          COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Lots of small underhood, engine, body and interior brackets of all kinds, patches for body panels, entire interior panels, a tonneau cover, block-off plates, dash bezels. All stuff that can be done with hand tools.

Not having the space or the equipment, for bigger or more complex items that I can't buy through the aftermarket I usually design something (either sketch on paper or using cardboard templates) and have a fabrication shop do the work. And generally speaking they take my work, interpret it in their own way, and deliver something that is about a 1000% better than I ever imagined. ;D

And I like building garden structures, mostly birdhouses but also wooden fences and gates.
            Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

I try to build everything I can. I've done my own brackets, exhaust, console and a bunch of other small items. I made my wiring loom for the '55 using factory colors and replaced the whole system in the car. I made the brake, trans, and fuel line from high pressure stainless used in oil and gas refineries. I just hate paying for something if I can make it cheaper.

Comment

I love making Tools.... ( spark plug socket wrenches ...etc. )

Comment

This stuff and more like it, it wasnt finished product here, still had to clean up welds round corners off and such

Had to make it look like this

Comment

I build my own furniture, and have built a go-kart with matching trailer for a 4-H project back in the day. In the next week, I'll finish building the "box set" (made from real, homegrown Cottonwood) for the book I wrote, to be auctioned off for charity on the 23rd. And yes, I'm already taking bids ;)

Comment

This is an old pic, but look at the bracket holding the pwr steering pump up. I designed and made it. A friend welded a receiver nut on the back of it for me.

Not very awe inspiring.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

sheetmetal intakes....
                        buy'n them cost to much..
                        seat brackets.. as the ones for racing seats don't move. . and that just sucks..
                        these move but have 4 lock'n pins and a secondary set of two back up pins..
                        so it will not move in a crash.. also good to use with normal buckets.. and 5 point harness.. as I'll know the floor might bend, but the seat isn't gonna move..
                        mounts to bolt a 460 IH oil burner in a s-10
                        mounts to bolt a in and out of a 3rd gen f body with out drop'n the whole cradle.. guess you'd say built a cradle not mounts
                        crossmember to replace the frame crossmember in an g.m. A body.. that alows you to remove the center and drop the oil pan without touching the engine mounts/plates..

Comment

I recently had to make a 'smallblock' distributor bolt-tool as I've only now got an engine where the ignition is in the wrong place of the motor on a '58 354 poly motor.

Here are some other things I made just because they weren't available at all, cheaply or on short notice...

Ball joint tool:

Adapter plates for a discbrake conversion:

Alternator bracket:

Headers for my '64 Chrysler;

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I was looking for a project to put a new mig to work. I know it isn't too pretty and much cruder than BBM's approach, but it came out OK. These are the front lower control arms for my 69 malibu.

Tampa, FL

Comment

I made a cart for my welder and a bracket for my PS pump.

Comment

Working...
                              X