Bought back an old friend from 19 years ago, " Butch" 57 Chevy P/U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought back an old friend from 19 years ago, " Butch" 57 Chevy P/U

Long story,back in 82 when I was in the Navy I was looking for a replacement for my 47 Chevy Panel truck that some Richard Cranium set on fire (another story, with a happy ending) I found a 57 Chevy P/U on a bulletin board for sale. I don't know what i didn't like about it but i didn't buy it. Well my best buddy Bret did. He named it Butch. It had a really sweet rebuilt 350 with a Muncie 4 speed in it and a dorky 3 " lift kit on it. Anyway, I ended up with my 55 Chevrolet and my 53 Suburban and Bret had " Butch" the 57 P/U and a 49 Cadillac named "Gladys" So we're stationed at NAS Moffett Field in Mt. View CA, living in the barracks with 4 cool vehicles. We even had our own parking lot. We spent alot of time at the auto hobby shop garage wrenching, telling lies, and drinking huge amounts of cheap beer. Life rolls on and we get out of the Navy and end up stuck in Lodi Ca. Bret's still driving Butch. I got a little junk business in 88 and had it for 3 years when I moved into a house and got civilized (I lived in the Junkyard in a mobile home for those 3 years) And in the deal when Bret took it over he gave me Butch in trade. Well here I am moved into my current house and i have this 57 Chevy P/U that I really have no time for. So I called a buddy of ours, Van, who always liked Butch. Van didn't have alot of cash, but he did have a bunch of NSA filters, I think thats the company that made George Poteet filthy rich. Anyway he gave me 800.00 and over half of his 5000.00 NSA filter inventory in trade. Great products by the way, just a little on the spendy side. So I tell him if he ever sells it to give me a call. Well, i ran into his wife last week and she said he was ready to sell it. I hadn't talked to him in over 6 years or so. So today i went over to check it out. He had driven it for about 8 years and put maybe 50 or 60 K miles on it. He rebuilt the Muncie once. It was in pieces but stored in his garage. Every piece is there. The body is at least a 7.5 out of 10 with no rust that i could see. It even had the custom bumper that i built for Bret back in 85 still with it. We made a great deal on it, put it this way, If I parted it out i could double my money. I'm going to bring it home and fill up some of my newly created storage with it. I'm going to suprise Bret with it when he comes down from Idaho in the spring. I would love to put it back together since Bret has some serious health issues and it would be really cool to let him drive it again. We will see. My laptop is in the shop getting a Ramcharger and new dual exhaust, so I can't post any pics till next weekend. I have pictures of it from back in the 80's somewhere. Stay tuned.

Re: Bought back an old friend from 19 years ago, " Butch" 57 Chevy P/U

Cant wait to see it...cool story too...I doubt you will haver any issues getting it going again judging by the Olds project.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Cant wait to see X2 ;).I dig Cars and trucks with a history attached.

Comment

I don't know what it is about the 57 truck, but I used to absolutely hate the style.... now, I love them.
        Can't wait to see your interpretation of that truck
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Finally got some pictures dug out and got the truck home today.
          This one is from around 1982 when Bret and I were heading to our very first swap meet (San Jose Flea Market to be exact) We made 90.00 that day!

This is from 19 years ago when I got it from Bret.

And this is from today. I got a pick up load of parts, in buckets. The heartbeat is a 030 over 350 4 bolt main, double hump heads,Holley mainfold and Carter 750 carb. 12" clutch, Muncie M-21 or M-22 4 speed transmission ,Dana 44 rear with 3:73 gears, clean rust free sheet metal and a chrome 55 truck grille and front bumper. I'm going to let it marinade in the Backyard for awhile. I'll post some more pics tomorrow of all the parts

I know theres alot of stuff missing but it's a really clean body to start with. It does need a dash though since this one has got a few holes in it.

Comment

Nice pics from the past ;).That sure looks like a easy project.I may have lowered it a little,though :P.But thats me.

Comment

Gotta love having a project you know the history of.That should turn out sweet.

Comment

Love it - I'm sure you'll make your friends day to see it functioning again.... sorry to hear of his ill health.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

i was comparing the pics...the paint damage on the door and rocker are like a thumb print...too cool....cant wait to see what you do with it.
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Heres a few more picks of the carnage. It has been verified that there was some substance abuse involved in the dismantling of this truck.

This is the custom rear bumper i made for it back in 86 when i worked at a metal fab shop in Fremont Ca. It brushed stainless. Theres a chain/beer compartment in the center that opens up.

Same tach that was in it 28 years ago

This block was painted with auto enamel, it has no ridge at all however he let a couple of cylinders get rusty and had the main caps in a coffee can.

The heads look great, I really don't think he needed to take it apart, but like I said before, he was on one when he did all the damage.

Comment

Not sure the wooden seat risers meet DOT specs but ol' Butch looks like a heck of a starting point. From my experience drug use and automotive work are not a good mix.

Have fun with him
                      Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X