Apache Helicopter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apache Helicopter

We were having a discussion the other day about helicopters being shot down. One guy said an Apache would come down if you hit it and another guy said they were pretty well armor covered.

So my question is...how thick is the skin on an Apache helicopter?
    Cognizant Dissident

Re: Apache Helicopter

An Apache won't get shot down...it never left the ground, the write-ups aren't finished yet. ;D 1:8 ratio!

There's plenty of armor, but if you get a freak shot that hits something like a wire bundle or rotating mass, you always face the problems, no matter the platform. That being said, Apaches usually play high and far away...the main tool, the Hellfire missle, can be fired miles away and be dead-on. No need for an Apache to go in close.
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

If I remember right KeithTurk knows a thing or two about helicopters.

Comment

Yeah.... LOL I was an instructor pilot in very early days of the Apache 1985....-96 taught folks to fly Cobra's before that...

They both had armor though the Apache had more... and more redundant systems...

you can shoot down anything with virtually nothing, if the shot is lucky enough.... but to go from the front to the back seat you have to penetrate a 1" thick piece of glass.... the sides.. well not as much... the Bottom is Great... but can only stand so much... and yeah the real deal is to stand off Miles and toss bad ju ju on your thier heads....

Interesting stuff..

K ( by the way.... in case your curious it's illegal to loop or roll these things.... which is why you wouldn't want to do it at night with the lights off so no one could see..... no sir'ee bob....you wouldn't want to do that )( Ultimate freaking Hot Rod by the way..... 3600hp proves ...with enough Hp a refrigerator will fly )

Comment

I can't comment on the Apache but I worked on the Cobra's in Vietnam in 73, I was amazed on how much damage they took and they still made it back safely.....

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
          1966 Plymouth Fury III
          2014 Dodge Ram 1500
          Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
          Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

The Apache makes the Cobra look Frail....

( like you... I've seen some Serious freaking damage to a Cobra and it flew home.... so they ain't bad )

The Apache can sustain stuff that seriously astounds me...

K

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
              The Apache makes the Cobra look Frail....

( like you... I've seen some Serious freaking damage to a Cobra and it flew home.... so they ain't bad )

The Apache can sustain stuff that seriously astounds me...

K

The A-10's little bro...

Comment

( by the way.... in case your curious it's illegal to loop or roll these things.... which is why you wouldn't want to do it at night with the lights off so no one could see..... no sir'ee bob....you wouldn't want to do that )
                Ahh, it's good to know that, uh, such a thing would never happen... :D

Comment

Originally posted by Loren

( by the way.... in case your curious it's illegal to loop or roll these things.... which is why you wouldn't want to do it at night with the lights off so no one could see..... no sir'ee bob....you wouldn't want to do that )
                  Ahh, it's good to know that, uh, such a thing would never happen... :D
                  LMAO
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It is amazing....KW's are a tin can compared to Cobra/Apache, yet I've seen one come in, full of holes and on FIRE, and we turned it back out in a week. I like all of the Army's inventory, we've had good helicopters..

..except the Lakota. F'ing flying easter egg that hates hot weather. :D
                    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Interesting stuff..

K ( by the way.... in case your curious it's illegal to loop or roll these things.... which is why you wouldn't want to do it at night with the lights off so no one could see..... no sir'ee bob....you wouldn't want to do that )( Ultimate freaking Hot Rod by the way..... 3600hp proves ...with enough Hp a refrigerator will fly )
                      Just watched the movie "Blue Thunder" the other day! He did it! lol

Comment

Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496
                          If you turn around and see this, your F@$%ed. :D

Comment

If I thought that was actually lookin' for me... I'd wet my pants. But no one would know i'd pissed myself, cause i'd be vapor.
                            Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

just shoot the tail rotor...send him into a spin...yea hes coming down...30-06 or 308 should do the trick...unless you gotta barrett then just shoot were ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X