Haiti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiti

Am I the only one that's miffed? Seems like we're addressing this better/faster than with our own Katrina victims. Don't get me wrong. I think we should help. But, we sure dicked around, sending help to our own citizens after Katrina hit. (cancel if inappropriate)
    STUGOTS

Re: Haiti

well. might be because you should'nt build below sealevel
    and . only the media thinks it took to long..
    those that got orders to help. know better

Comment

I would get too political if I answered your so....I won't. But , I will comment on it is one of those things that is super time criticial. 72hrs is generally all you got to get people unburied. We have an aquaintance that is missing down there.He was on a mission trip.Older man family hasn't heard from him. Bad chance he was in a hotel getting some needed rest. Name is Frank Garlock incase someone hears anything.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierGTA
        I would get too political if I answered your so....I won't. But , I will comment on it is one of those things that is super time criticial. 72hrs is generally all you got to get people unburied. We have an aquaintance that is missing down there.He was on a mission trip.Older man family hasn't heard from him. Bad chance he was in a hotel getting some needed rest. Name is Frank Garlock incase someone hears anything.
        I'll bet Katrina victims would agree with you on the 1st 72 hours being very important.
        STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by groucho
          Am I the only one that's miffed? Seems like we're addressing this better/faster than with our own Katrina victims. Don't get me wrong. I think we should help. But, we sure dicked around, sending help to our own citizens after Katrina hit. (cancel if inappropriate)
          Not only did we respond faster to Haiti this time than we did to Katrina (we learned a lesson there I hope) but also faster than others stepped up to help us during Katrina too.
          Phil / Omaha

Comment

I'm not sure why you'd think Haiti is getting a better response. Haiti has few, if any, functional roads and fewer machines to clear those roads - thus, yes, there is stuff on its way but it is stacked nicely on ships because the port is destroyed and there is no way to get the stuff to the people.... at least after Katrina the rescuers could get to the city pretty rapidly.... add to it this little bit - the people affected by Katrina knew the storm was coming; the ones in Haiti didn't.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

You know what, i have a very hard time feeling sorry for the "victims" of Katrina, Lets see, build a city under sea level, then be surprised when it floods. And also, how much time did they get for a warning to evacuate? Call me a cold hearted son of a bitch if you want to but that is my opinion...

I live in tornado land, we have less than a half hour usually to prepare when we get a warning, we dont go out looting the stores, we adapt. Ugh ill stop there.

Comment

We've got our own problems to fix, send some Gurad troops over for a few weeks then come home and fix our issues. My $.02
                Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Originally posted by SSChevyManiac
                  We've got our own problems to fix, send some Gurad troops over for a few weeks then come home and fix our issues. My $.02
                  Yes , this does sound a little cold but......72 hrs- a week and we should be out after that .......and I 'm really sorry to have to say it but it would just be time to take pics of the dead and mass bury them to keep down disease.

Comment

at least in haiti. the people are doing everything they can to help themselves. and others..
                    unlike kat. were the people sat on their butts wait'n for others to help them..

Comment

this is so much worse than Katrina, if I wasn't in school, I would go over and help, I know people over there, I worked with them when I was helping in New Orleans after Katrina, they are both OK thank God
                      Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

I strongly feel that giving aid to countries with whom we have opportunity to trade, and refusing aid to countries whom have nothing to offer us in return has done a tremendous amount of damage for our agenda of spreading freedom and capitalism around the world.

We owe Haiti a lot. Because of the victorious Haitian slave uprising, Napoleon gave up on trying to establish a French colony in America and sold us the Louisiana Purchase. Had the slaves lost, Napoleon would have continued on his with his goal of having a French colony at the mouth of the Mississippi. The history of the US and the borders of the US would be significantly different had the slaves in Haiti not been inspired by our uprising against the English and put on an uprising of their own and defeat Napleon.

I think the feds learned a pretty good lesson in the poor Katrina response. Furthermore, the Dems have a wider social conscience and that leads to a more compassionate response, but they are also scrambling right now to look good in light of the failed Katrina response. Next time there is a big disaster here at home, the response will surely be better than it was in New Orleans.
                        The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by groucho
                          I think we are responding faster to Haiti BECAUSE of how slow our response was to Katrina. Hopefully we learned something about how critical the first 3 days are........

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                            wife's family owned a house above sea level and it sat under8' of water for 8 months. they're also not dumb, so...

there are a lot of other things that went wrong with Katrina though - fraud at many levels. A lot of that aid money went places it shouldn't while other priorities were neglected.
                            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                              Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                              wife's family owned a house above sea level and it sat under8' of water for 8 months. they're also not dumb, so...

there are a lot of other things that went wrong with Katrina though - fraud at many levels. A lot of that aid money went places it shouldn't while other priorities were neglected.
                              think'n you kinda missed the point..

Comment

Working...
                              X