Haiti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Haiti

For a Tsunami to form you need for one the Earthquake to occur under the water instead of on land : and two it has to vertically displace the water, and as CaminoKid points out, it was lateral motion not vertical.

I was looking for the measured amount of movement, but it doesn't appear they've finished/published the calculated result yet.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Holy Crap! I'm watching this thing on 60 minutes about what's happening in Haiti now. Talk about the saddest thing I've ever seen. They were loading bodies into a dump truck with a front end loader. :'(
      I R Bob
      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
        Originally posted by yogreasygramma
        Very good point, plus how did Port-au-Prince get devastated while nearby roads were untouched? And no tidal wave resulted from this massive 7.0 quake? Doesn't sound like the average "natural" earthquake to me.
        Conspiracy theorist at his best!
        the liberals did it. damn them hippie sonsabitches!
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Shoulda known you liberals were behind this!! ;) ;D
          I R Bob
          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

There are a few things to consider here, as far as the geological event. The earthquake measurement scale is exponential - one tenth on the scale is ten times more powerful than the tenth before it. So, for example, a 6.1 is ten times more powerful than a 6.0.

And a 7.0 is almost unheard of. At that scale the GROUND would look almost like the sea during a big storm. Imagine that if your house is built there.

And Tsunami's happen when the earthquake is centered out in the ocean and the sea floor is subjected to upheaval, displacing all the water that becomes the giant wave when it gets to shore. There was no wave in Haiti because the earthquake was centered on land, "only" 5 miles underground. Devastating.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee
              The earthquake measurement scale is exponential - one tenth on the scale is ten times more powerful than the tenth before it. So, for example, a 6.1 is ten times more powerful than a 6.0.
              Peewee - are you sure?

I know that a 7.0 is ten times stronger (an order of magnitude) than a 6.0.
              If a 6.1 is ten times stronger than a 6.0 then a 7.0 would be 10 billion times stronger than a 6.0 which I don't believe to be the case.

Them pesky decimal points can get you into trouble.

Comment

A 7.0 is around 31 times the more powerful than a 6.0. And centered 13Km (7.8 miles) down is shallow by Earthquake standards.

The Wiki has a pretty nice chart of magnatude frequencies. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale) but be aware that the magnitude measurements are in Moment Magnitudes and not Richter Magnitudes.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Needless to say, it's a shitload of bad.
                  I R Bob

Comment

I wish the news would stop shoving it down our throats with all the "amazing videos and gut wrenching heroism".
                    They love this because they don't have to dig for news and they might get an award for reporting it first.
                    Here are the latest headlines right off yahoo news:
                    1:Haitians pray, cry for help in the ruins
                    2:Elderly and abandoned, 84 Haitians await death
                    3:After physical devastation, Haiti can expect emotional wounds
                    Really, I thought after an earth quake they would be gathered around the TV watching the golden globes?

Comment

BRUHHAAAAAAAaaaaa! We got them and we're coming after YOU next! Stupid Conservatives don't know how well organized we are, never mind the secret island lair of Dr. Dogood, our leader (Al Gore is just a decoy).

Sorry - I've hit my serious limit and had to get silly for a minute. Back to your regularly scheduled thread.....

Dan

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                      Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                      Originally posted by yogreasygramma
                      Very good point, plus how did Port-au-Prince get devastated while nearby roads were untouched? And no tidal wave resulted from this massive 7.0 quake? Doesn't sound like the average "natural" earthquake to me.
                      Conspiracy theorist at his best!
                      the liberals did it. damn them hippie sonsabitches!

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn
                        Originally posted by peewee
                        The earthquake measurement scale is exponential - one tenth on the scale is ten times more powerful than the tenth before it. So, for example, a 6.1 is ten times more powerful than a 6.0.
                        Peewee - are you sure?

I know that a 7.0 is ten times stronger (an order of magnitude) than a 6.0.
                        If a 6.1 is ten times stronger than a 6.0 then a 7.0 would be 10 billion times stronger than a 6.0 which I don't believe to be the case.

I was typing in my sleep. Messed up the base-ten system. Every tenth is 10% stronger, not 100% stronger. So, a 5.0 is twice and powerful as a 4.0.

A quake is not a meteorological event, either. I was asleep.

Them pesky decimal points can get you into trouble.
                        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
                        X