Alaskan Bush Pilot Rebuilds Plane w/ Duct Tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaskan Bush Pilot Rebuilds Plane w/ Duct Tape

Check the pix & story from this thread on the AACA Forum.
    A bear chewed up a plane trying to get the food inside.
    Bush pilots are a resourceful & gutsy breed!

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Re: Alaskan Bush Pilot Rebuilds Plane w/ Duct Tape

It's amazing what you can do when you're thrown into the deep end of the pool!
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Who needs that glassfibre and kevlar,anyways..first one to make a new lightweight body for racing in duct tape,wins ;) ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Blazerteam
        Who needs that glassfibre and kavlar,anyways..first one to make a new lightweight body for racing in duct tape,wins ;) ;D

Sounds like a no-brainer for Chad.He might even get Dave to join in on that madness :D

How bout it Chad?

Comment

Yummy plane! The repair looks pretty good to me - but I'm no aviator.

Dan

Comment

i've seen worse repairs done the correct way....thats a lot of MF-ing duct tape...
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano
              It's amazing what you can do when you're thrown into the deep end of the pool!
              no doubt.

if the plane had an inline four, how more duct tape on the one side would he put than the other? :
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Wow the bear tried to eat the tires!
                Very nice work,I'm guessing none of the internal structure was damaged.

It's going to be hell getting all that sticky goo off if they decide to do a real repair!

I wonder if these pics will get to the tape manufacture? I smell sponsorship!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone03
                  Wow the bear tried to eat the tires!
                  Very nice work,I'm guessing none of the internal structure was damaged.

It's going to be hell getting all that sticky goo off if they decide to do a real repair!

I wonder if these pics will get to the tape manufacture? I smell sponsorship!!
                  I don't know why you'd remove it. The repair looks pretty darned good. Just leave it as is. ;) ;D

Comment

Kick the tire, light the fire.... first up's lead... lets go...

Freaking Totally fly this thing out... What a Hoot... Just to see the eyes in the control tower as you do the Fly by...

Hell yeah.... Very Very cool stuff...

Keith ( Faa... most likely would not approve said repair as they would have specified Superglue on the frame members )

Comment

That guys is now officially a legend.

No matter what story someone has, he'll sit there and listen to it, take a swig of his drink and say "That's pretty good. But did I ever tell you about the time I used three cases of duct tape to put my plane back together and fly it out of the bush?"

Pretty hard to top that.

-Brad

Comment

Desperation may be the mother of invention, but duct tape is its father.
                        I agree Brad, this guy is a legend.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I got that on email last week and forwarded it to a buddy of mine who has a private pilot's license. This is part of his reply:

....and yes, what ever the reason was for the damage, the FAA will grant him a "Ferry Permit" to fly the plane back to a suitable facility for repairs. The structural integrity is the biggest concern. The steel frame ensures a solid structor so all that was needed was a little covering material - piece of cake.

That's the way we pilots do things. You'd be surprised at some of the short cuts taken by the airlines to keep the planes flying - scary stuff.
                          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Biplanes were nothing more than canvas stretched across wooden framing. I've seen pics of WWI planes patched like a sleeve on your overcoat.

I'm thinking 3 cases of duct tape increased it's weight by a significant amount.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

We need to send that pilot a link to sign up here. Can you imagine being the passenger?

"You want me to fly back in a plane you just repaired with duct tape?"

"Well, I guess you could stay behind with the hungry bear...."

"Ugh, you know, it looks like it might be an o.k. repair."

Comment

Working...
                              X