Procomp cylinder heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Procomp cylinder heads

No, I'm not in the market to buy heads. I had a few minutes to kill yesterday afternoon and was cruising ebay for the heck of it. I saw quite a few vendors selling them complete, free shipping for under $600. I'm thinking Chinese. So what's up with these heads, any good?
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Re: Procomp cylinder heads

I've seen those too and have been thinking about pulling the trigger, but it seems like all the reviews I've read said they were junk. Hopefully someone here has some first hand knowledge of them....

Comment

I've only heard one thing about them. A racer said the rocker stud bosses pulled up on 3 different rockers. This was a total failure down to the water jackets. This was a while back. With my experience with Chinese made stuff; their idea of what is good quality materials is severly lacking. Edelbrock uses A356 aluminum stock, then heat treats them to T-6 ratings. Procomps may say they do, but, again, with my experience, I'm betting not.

I'd go with Australian made head (Patriot?) long before Procomp. Their sand cast intakes may be OK, but then there aren't any real stresses on an intake.

I have a friend who is using Professional Products heads. I've had these in my hands and they look like good quality. I'll call him later to find out exactly what they are.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nik2
        I've seen those too and have been thinking about pulling the trigger, but it seems like all the reviews I've read said they were junk. Hopefully someone here has some first hand knowledge of them....

Personally, if I were to splurge for a set of heads, I'm not going to take a chance to save a few bucks. On the low end, I've read the Patriot seems to be pretty good.
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I've learned not to trust anything that has "pro" in it's brandname. ;)
          www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Save your money...for another 2 bills you can get a way better set...Material is not very good on these !!!

Comment

not cylinder heads but I say some sbc shaft mount rockers about 2 years ago, JUNK... the rockers are aluminum and rubbed the pedestal (which had burrs on them), a guarantee of massive amounts of aluminum in the engine. I saw another set about a month and a half ago and they were defiantly better as they had changed the design so the rockers were separated from the pedestals with washers, surely a better design. it's possible they have been making R&D progress as negative reports come in and the heads will probably get better in time.

Comment

Client of mine did a head swap earlier this year to those Pro Comps. Then hired me to come set the valves. In just doing the valves I noticed an issue with his set. The rollers on the rocker tips were riding part way off the valve stem on a few of them and not even centered on most of the others. Nothing you can do about it either. The rocker studs didn't line up with valves and pushrods correctly. It was plain as day that if you took a straight edge and ran it across the tops of the valves to the tops of rocker studs to the tops of the pushrods that the alignment was way off.

I told him I would not use the heads and I would not guarantee the adjustment. He said ok and ran them anyway. Good luck. I'd rather have stock E7s and good quality than iffy quality and better performance. If the heads are like that, who do you think made the hardware to outfit the castings (springs, valves, etc.)?
                Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Heard nothing but bad things about these, the guides like to fall out too apparently.

Comment

No touch!!!!

The guides move around and the valve job leaves much to be desired...
                    Image if you had roller springs @180lbs plus???

Eddy has the E Street heads to compete at this price point but,IMHO a much better
                    Head is the ETech 200.

"IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

a machinist I use swears by Patriot.... but still not back to the SBC stuff.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The BBF one is marketed as being similar to a TFS head, but they are really miles apart design-wise and performance-wise.

The guys in the know, buy them bare and add better valves, vj, etc and they seems to do ok. But, out of the box offer no real performance advantage over a stock D3 head other than being lighter.
                        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

One of my best friends bought a set for his 327 in his Nova. Got a couple decent paperweights for his money. He had valve issues and his headers wouldn't bolt up.

Comment

there poop is what I hear, for all the resons above!!
                            COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Working...
                            X