No announcement yet.

BangShift LeMons Race Team - Who's In ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BangShift LeMons Race Team - Who's In ?

Roll cage rules"

"3: SAFETY

3.1: Rollbar and Structure: Professionally made full roll cage required. A poorly built, improperly mounted, or badly engineered rollcage can keep you from racing: Don't show up with crap! At minimum, cage must include: Full front and rear hoop, appropriately braced to each other along the roofline; two drivers-side door bars (X-design is acceptable); appropriate main-hoop backstays with no bends, located as close to 45 degrees from horizontal as practical; one main-hoop diagonal; appropriate spreader plates and gussets; complete 360-degree welds at all joints. Each major load-bearing member must be formed from its own single, continuous tube. Shoulder-harness bars strongly encouraged, and virtually necessary for proper shoulder-harness mounting in some applications (the attachment point of all shoulder harnesses must be between zero and 15 degrees lower than the seat-entry point); dash bars very strongly encouraged.
    3.1.1: Rollbar Tubing and Padding: Minimum tubing size for cars weighing under 3000 pounds as raced is 1.50" x .120" or 1.75" x .095". Cars weighing over 3000 pounds as raced must use a minimum tubing size of 1.75" x .120". Properly-bent, racecar-grade and -quality tubing is mandatory: no stretched or crushed bends allowed. DOM mild steel is very strongly recommended over ERW (seamed) tubing.
    3.1.2: Don't understand any of the above? See where it states "professionally made." You shouldn't be doing this yourself.
    3.1.3: All roll cage tubing must be padded with high density roll bar padding wherever a driver may contact the tube.
    3.1.4: All attachment points on the vehicle must be selected and reinforced as necessary so that, in an accident, the cage will not punch through, tear, or grossly distort the attachment point. Spreader plates, backing panels, gussets, and/or other reinforcing elements are generally required to meet this goal. Cages mounted to rusty, thin, under-supported, or otherwise stupid attachment points will flunk tech immediately.
    3.1.5: Waivers: Previously entered LeMons cars that don't meet the above specs must upgrade their equipment or apply for an individual grandfather waiver before showing up for the race. Be warned: Waivers aren't automatically granted.
    3.2: Driver's Seat: Driver's seatback must reach above middle of helmet or higher. One-piece SFI- or FIA-rated competition seats very strongly encouraged. All seats must be very securely mounted to the floor or cage to avoid separation during a crash. All seatbacks must be securely attached to the seat base and braced or otherwise restrained against rearward failure.
    3.3: Onboard Fire Extinguisher: Fully charged Purple K, Type 10B:C, or Type A:B:C extinguisher, 2.5 lbs or larger, must be located in easy reach of driver and secured via a proper, purpose-made, all-metal quick-release bracket. (In other words, just go to the damn hardware store and buy a good mount; don't use the cheap plastic thingy that came with the bottle"

Be careful, the safety rules will cost some money. And they do check for 360* welds. We take our welder to races and invariably help teams that don't meet the rules. If you have to cut a hole in the roof to get your weld complete, do it. Sometimes you can get by with less than 360* if you use gussets and the total weldment is equal or greater than 360*, but I wouldn't rely on that. Its a case by case by judge by inspector type of ruling. Safer to get the 360*.

By the way, these are not the crashfests that they were during the first couple of years. Be prepared for significant penalties if you have car to car contact today.

Bob

Comment

I can get Barry the Weldor to help. He actually knows what he's doing. I cut, fit, and tack and he buzzes it all together. Keeps the price down. The S&W kits are available in DOM for like $500. Like I said, we can DO this!

Dan

Comment

I don't think the Jav is a good fit for Lemons because it needs to be a 500 car. With no motor, transmission, well, no anything, 500 bucks will evaporate long before the car is capable of being driven.

I think the focus needs to be on a complete car that either runs or can be fixed...not built.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman
          Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
          The whole cage needs to be cut out of the car and replaced before that thing sees active duty again. It is uglier than hell and parts of it, I am sure, could be knocked apart with a 3lb hammer. Not comfortable with having anyone (even me) compete in that thing until it is made safe.

Brian
          Dude? It's not NASCAR-spec? How thick is the tubing?

[/quote]

As someone who has sat in the car in the race seat that isn't bolted to anything; I can attest to the nasty welds on the cage in it. Beyond goofing off out on the back forty, I wouldn't drive it in any kind of race as it sits.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

In another life- the Kershaw SC racing facility was built on the field where we used to fly RC airplanes. That was the very place where we got "attacked" by A-10 Wart Hogs from Shaw AFB from Sumter AFB, there on exercise. We were trying to fly our little planes and they called exception to it. What an awesome view of a war plane - head on from the ground, in the gun sights.

Have since moved to Tennessee. I've looked at the schedule, and I don't see how in the world to contribute to the BS race team effort. As much as I'd love to.

Ill be at Maxton in April, though. I want to see it, and I want to meet everybody.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

3-4 April 2010 @ Virginia International Raceway (Alton, VA) I am going to try to go watch this, anybody else going?

this is a ChumpCar race not Lemons if it makes a difference.

This is the weekend before Maxton
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

I don't think the Jav is a good fit for Lemons because it needs to be a 500 car. With no motor, transmission, well, no anything, 500 bucks will evaporate long before the car is capable of being driven.

I read a quote that stuck with me "dodge slant six! if you cant find some one to just give you one there is some thing wrong with you."
                I think the sentiment applies here. ;D

Russel I will pencil it in. That's the week end before Maxton, right?

Steve

btw I am in for what ever>
                Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

So does this mean nobody wants to take the lead on the West Coast team. The car still says the Fat and the Furious on it. It's practically ready!... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Okay, so it needs work, but it should be fairly easy for some guys to knock it out.
                  "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Working...
                  X